Getting vinyl from Amazon.com

bill

This is possibly more of a question for people outside of the U.S. but any help/advice/opinions on the subject would be great.

Has anyone ever ordered vinyl from Amazon.com? I'm kind of tempted because the shipping is so cheap to Europe but I'm holding off as I'm kind of worried they won't be well packed enough to survive a transatlantic journey and arrive in good shape.

Anyone had any good or bad experiences with this?

Thanks a lot.

i've ordered lots of records from amazon. the one thing you can count on (at least in my experience) is that the box they ship in will be waaaay too big. i've gotten stuff from them that i was shocked was not broken in half or crushed. but i have yet to have something that doesn't play or was damaged beyond a few dinged corners, etc. the price is usually right so no complaints here.

I just received two LPs from them last week, shipped to Canada. the box was way too big. they fit in perfect width wise, length has an extra inch or so, and they were laid flat, so there was room for them to slide back n forth. that being said, they used airbag type padding (if you've ever ordered from amazon, I'm sure you've seen this) on top of the records, and i'm mystified as to how there was absolutely no damage (not even a dinged corner.

Also, they shipped me the wrong records. I found the same ones on amazon.ca for a few bucks cheaper, so i re-ordered from them, thinking I would just return the 2 mistakes (basically generic presses instead of limited editions as ordered). not only did Amazon.com refund my money in full within a matter of hours, they let me keep the miss-ships.

Have ordered from them whilst in the UK and Australia and they have usually arrived ok. yep, they dont use mailers, but from prolly about 30 purchases over the last number of years, only 1 arrived real fucked up. they dont take the vinyl out of the sleeves, the boxes are always way too big (but they usually use shitloads of airbag packaging) but i'm always prepared to risk it due to the cheap shipping. only went bad once, so in my experience, not a bad service.

i have ordered about 20 records from there, never had any trouble apart from a bent corner once.

they do pack in big packages, but they seem to survive every time

the good thing with amazon, is if something is broken or anything.. they ship out a new one instantly without any questions.

i ordered an oceansize record from them once, and it had some major skips, not amazons fault, just production error i guess, and they shipped out a new copy within 2 hours

Also bought from Amazon a few times and never had any issues. Those big boxes they ship in is a hassle to bring home from the post office, especially those times when I've gotten five other records in the mail as well, but the records always arrive safe. My last order was the new Dredg 2x12" which was on sale. With shipping it was still super cheap.

This thread has been in my interest. I've always considered ordering from Amazon, but I just don't know. I'm still relatively young in the realm of record collecting (I've only been ordering from distros/overseas for just over a year or so). Any Canadians who have ordered from amazon.ca, could you relate your experiences? Sounds like beardinc got his fine, so I'm a little less skeptical if I see something alluring in the future.

I bought a few off Amazon.com and they came fine... I think one was in a big box but they fixed that later. I ordered one from Amazon.co.uk for some reason... I guess it wasn't on Amazon.com and it wasn't too expensive, and it came absolutely perfect. I have no idea what record it was though, just remembering it was ok.

Any Canadians who have ordered from amazon.ca, could you relate your experiences? Sounds like beardinc got his fine, so I'm a little less skeptical if I see something alluring in the future.

The records I ordered were from amazon.com .

I re-ordered from amazon.ca after the wrong records were shipped, and i realized it was cheaper. the order on .ca went through last week, and it says they won't ship till Friday. I've noticed most records they sell have whack shipping dates, some say they ship in 8 weeks. Don't understand it at all. Either way, I'm assuming amazon.ca packs the same as the rest of em, but i guess i'll see on monday/tuesday. When the package arrives, i'll try and remember to post details on here.

Also, for anyone hesitant to order from amazon and doesn't want to risk it due to packaging. unless you think its going to sell out everywhere else before you get the package, there's really no risk. If there are any problems whatsoever, even from manufacturing process, or other-wise out of their hands, they will issue a full refund or ship out another one promptly. Their customer service is far-beyond anywhere else. I've had an issue with another company sending out the wrong items, and it was their policy I pay the return shipping. Amazon not only refunded my money in full, they let me keep the 2 wrong items.

Also, for anyone hesitant to order from amazon and doesn't want to risk it due to packaging. unless you think its going to sell out everywhere else before you get the package, there's really no risk. If there are any problems whatsoever, even from manufacturing process, or other-wise out of their hands, they will issue a full refund or ship out another one promptly. Their customer service is far-beyond anywhere else. I've had an issue with another company sending out the wrong items, and it was their policy I pay the return shipping. Amazon not only refunded my money in full, they let me keep the 2 wrong items.

in addition to this, I had a record that was shipped in one of those boxes that was slightly too small and the sleeve was pretty bent up. anyway, I took a picture of it, emailed customer service, and they offered to take 20% off. this was almost a year ago, and they've apparently gotten better about packaging, but if you have an issue, I'm sure they'll more than make up for it.

I ordered three Isis records from Amazon.com. Two of them were ordered from Amazon.com itself that and the third was ordered from an Amazon.com Marketplace seller. The records from Amazon were packed exactly as they were supposed to be in a standard record mailer. I can't remember if they used any pads to stiffen the package but there were absolutely not shipping scars on either of the LP's. The one I ordered from the Marketplace seller was shipped in a box about 4 times the size of a standard mailer and had lacerations through the plastic sleeve into the surface of the record jacket and what looked like swarms of pin-pokes in a few concentrated areas on the cover.

I sent that seller a scathing lecture on LP shipping propriety.

I think you're good with Amazon itself but if you order from a Marketplace seller, make sure you send them a message to ensure that they know HOW to ship records.