Would you return this?

dethrock

I just got Brand New - The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me, yesterday from Amazon.ca

It seemed to be packed fine, but the sleeves each record came in are worn through/torn on one side, as well as the A/B record is torn on the bottom. The record came sealed in plastic as well.

I'm pretty new to vinyl, so is it even worth returning? Chances are if they send me a new one, the same thing will probably happen.

Anyway, here's some pics, let me know if I should send it back.

[image]

[image]

If it's the inside sleeve I would not return it because that's very frequent that they tear. At the factory they drop the records into the inner sleeve with a machine so I guess that's how it happens. I always use an inner plastic sleeve afterward.

If it's the outer sleeve than it might be OK to return it but the whole hassle of return the product probably ain't worth it. I often get bent corners and small defects due to shipping and if I would return everyone I get like that, I would spend all my time making follow ups on all my orders.

ah, the burden of printed sleeves. you're pretty much stuck with it.

best bet would be to email the label and see if you could purchase some overrun printed sleeves they may have laying around. otherwise, it's very common with the mailing of records, even with the records shipped outside of the jackets.

That's one of the downfalls of mailing vinyl. What I do to prevent that, if I trust the shipper is I will ask them to ship the records outside of the jacket. Hell Dischord and Soundstage Direct do this no matter what every time they ship something. So if you ask most places will do it for ya, no seem splits that way.

I forget to ask for it most of the time, but if its packaged right it shouldn't happen in the first place, but its always possible.

how does amazon ship vinyl? Like what do they do that you dislike?

they've been known to ship records in obscenely large boxes with a few dozen air-bags. unfortunately, these boxes are not always wide enough, so the record is shipped at an angle and tends to get bent.

recently, they've started shipping some records in a mailer insider of a big box, which is mainly just bad for the environment

At the factory they drop the records into the inner sleeve with a machine so I guess that's how it happens.

They are hand assembled. Thin paper inner sleeves tear over time (or immediately). The heavy inner sleeves are 2x to 3x the cost of the thin ones, which are in turn 12x more than photocopies, ha!

I would personally return it, especially with amazon. there return process is simple and almost effortless.

I received the wrong item from amazon.ca today. I called them up and was on hold for maybe 5 minutes, and the e-mailed me a pre-paid postage slip, that I just printed off, and stuck on the original box and sent back.

If you do it, ask them if they can send the new on in a record mailer. I know they have em, because that's how mine came. Curious to see if they would do it by request.

That's one of the downfalls of mailing vinyl. What I do to prevent that, if I trust the shipper is I will ask them to ship the records outside of the jacket. Hell Dischord and Soundstage Direct do this no matter what every time they ship something. So if you ask most places will do it for ya, no seem splits that way.

I forget to ask for it most of the time, but if its packaged right it shouldn't happen in the first place, but its always possible.

I did that with a very rare, very expensive LP recently. They shipped it outside the jacket, but not in a dustsleeve! I'm at a loss of what to do. They followed my instructions. I'll probably never see the record for sale anytime soon and I got it for $300 less than it used to go for. But it doesn't sound too well.

Even outside the jacket, seam splits can happen. The Clouds "We Are Above You" LP I got from Amazon came that way (Hydra Head's doing), and both sleeves are heavily worn. But that's probably the way Amazon stores their records that did that.

Personally, I don't care as long as it doesn't harm the record. If it gets to be really bad I can replace them easily and cheaply.

I just throw away standard white paper sleeves that come with records or use them on 2nd hand records that don't come with sleever or whathave you. I buy new inner sleeves with the poly lining for all my new records and replace the paper ones so they are nice ones that are uniform in nature plus they have better protection than just a standard paper sleeve

I use these:

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-3155-12-polylined-sleeves.aspx

If its a printed inner sleeve I slide it back into the jacket because its part of the record and I like to keep it looking nice just like the insert and I don't want to damage it when I listen to the records with my carelessness. If its special color or something else similar I do the same so if I ever sell the record I can make sure to give the buyer the original sleeve with the order.

seem splits are preventable as others have said if you are careful and ship the record on the outside of the cover.