Dexter Season 5 Discussion w/ Spoilers

born2bleed

i like the way they are building this up. he has finally been caught in the act, i've been waiting for that to happen for a while now. i can't wait to see how this unfolds and i'm glad to see julie stiles is not a romantic interest.

also waiting for peter weller (robocop) to come in, i guess he is a private investigator and quinn meeting up with trinity's kid/family and showing them the pic of dexter asking if this is kyle butler. stoked!!!

Agreed. You watch 4 seasons of this show thinking "OMG, He's gonna get caught this time!" only to be repeatedly disappointed. Finally, the payoff! Although this situation will certainly have an interesting dynamic since Julie Stiles' character would have most certainly died at the hands of Mr. Boyd Fowler had Dexter not intervened. So on one hand she's indebted to him buuuut he's also a serial killer so that might be a problem.

I was a little worried when wikipedia had this listed: "Julia Stiles will guest star in 10 episodes as Lumen, a new woman in Dexter's life." That was a creative way of putting it.

• 2 months later...

Well...I won't spoil it for the other timezones just yet...but I found myself utterly bored with the finale until maybe the last 15-20 minutes...the end was a'ight...maybe I just need more time absorb and process it...

One thing that did bother me that wasn't explained (unless I missed it but somehow I doubt that) at all and would've been a good thing to delve into, was what exactly was Jordan's hold on Emily? Why was she so obedient and enthralled by him after what he did to her?

I felt the same way. It was a little slow for me... and even the last 10 minutes when Lumen left and they had the party I felt it was a bit slow... definitely not the most exciting season finale they've had.

I think the only thing I was honestly suprised at was Deb letting them go without knowing who they were. That was the only Oh shit moment for me in the whole finale. I wanted her to know it was Dexter so bad and then see what they did with that next season.

i thought it was really symbolic/cool that deb let dex and lumen go. it really indicates how obsessed she was with her vigilante theory - in her mind, she went through the exact same thing the barrel girls did, but never had the courage to take matters into her own hands like dexter and lumen. in a way, she admires them but her cop psyche wouldn't let her know who the killers were without turning them in. that's why she didn't go and look.

the season overall was pretty boring but i really think deb came into her own this season, as a character and actress. i liked the scene at the end with quinn and dexter, too.

Well...I won't spoil it for the other timezones just yet...but I found myself utterly bored with the finale until maybe the last 15-20 minutes...the end was a'ight...maybe I just need more time absorb and process it...

One thing that did bother me that wasn't explained (unless I missed it but somehow I doubt that) at all and would've been a good thing to delve into, was what exactly was Jordan's hold on Emily? Why was she so obedient and enthralled by him after what he did to her?

jordan taking lumen to camp jordan sort of explains things i think...it was at that place jordan first found that he could control others. it was there he first became a sociopath - it was where the rape of emily occurred and where the persona of jordan chase was developed. i don't think that jordan had a hold on emily so much as emily worshiped jordan and would do whatever he wanted. some people (few, not many) who are raped idealize the rapist and i'm pretty sure that was the case here...

i gave up on watching this season about 4-5 episodes in, it was just a mess. i've been keeping up by reading recaps to see if i was missing anything and by what i've gathered i did not.

this season was just wasted potential and plotholes galore. ending season 4 with dead rita was epic and they dropped the ball with this season. they need to go the way the books did and have deb find out already about dexter and quit beating around the bush about it.

hopefully they get their shit together next season.

i gave up on watching this season about 4-5 episodes in, it was just a mess. i've been keeping up by reading recaps to see if i was missing anything and by what i've gathered i did not.

this season was just wasted potential and plotholes galore. ending season 4 with dead rita was epic and they dropped the ball with this season. they need to go the way the books did and have deb find out already about dexter and quit beating around the bush about it.

hopefully they get their shit together next season.

This... except last week I watched all the episodes I missed.

I thought overall the season was good. I guess what i didnt like was the use of rita's death. It was suppose to be a game changer, but it wasn't used at all. He mourned for an episode or two and then found a new girlfriend.

Also i was kinda hoping deb would find out about dexter. Was a big "oh shit" moment that was quickly killed.

the only thing i have to say is "HELL NO, LUMEN. HELL NO."

i mean come on, could you at least give it a day or two? just "Oh, I'm done. Thanks for all the killing and the sex and the risking your life shit but I'm just gonna go."

bullshittery. i actually was starting to like her as a character and had the tiniest hope they'd keep her on but that never happens on dexter with guest stars so i set myself up for a let down there.

Jordan went down wayyyyyyy too easily. i guess the biggest kink in the chain was deb finding them and that was the big "bang" so to speak.

agreed, it was wayyyy to anti-climactic. plus, being in the basement on a concrete floor, the knife wouldn't peg his foot in place. weak.

and I was pretty let down when I heard Stiles was going to be a guest star, and she didn't disappoint my expectations. I too, found myself hoping she'd stay (for Dexter), but she was weirdly bolting the next day.

Jordan went down wayyyyyyy too easily. i guess the biggest kink in the chain was deb finding them and that was the big "bang" so to speak.

agreed, it was wayyyy to anti-climactic. plus, being in the basement on a concrete floor, the knife wouldn't peg his foot in place. weak.

I was confused at first, too, but I'm pretty sure the floor was wood planked. At least it appeared so in one of the shots.

I thought it was a pretty weak that Lumen just took off like that. Maybe she was just using Dexter. I dunno. All and all I think it was a decent season but I wish there was more to look forward to next season.

I liked the season, and it is definitely not the best, and definitely not the worst...but the finale left a lot to be desired. I agree with whoever said that the lady who plays Debra has finally learned how to act this season, or maybe I am just now numb from all of her bad acting.

Jordan Chase went down way too easily, and I wish that Debra had found out about him but oh well.

Did anybody else think that Dexter was going to kill Lumen when she told him she was leaving?

Here's some questions I was thinking about:

Deb says that in an hour the place will be swarming with cops, but then Dexter and Lumen are dumping the body into the ocean. I know he mentioned taking his car to get rid of the body, but at that point, where would they chop him up?

Quinn is totally off the hook because the blood wasn't Liddy's? What? So him being all sketchy and being questioned and wanting a lawyer doesn't raise any flags to anyone?

Deb "solved" the case? How did she solve it when there was no body?

Does Quinn know/think Dexter killed Liddy now?

Overall it was a pretty week finale, especially after Season 4s, but it does open up some things for next season. Bummed that he trained Lumen when in the books he trains Astor and Cody...but maybe now that they're with him for the summer, he will. Who knows..