so am i the asshole here?

flood

i've had nightmarish issues with international shipping, and just getting fucked when the person claimed they never got it and paypal immediately siding with them.. so on my recent list of ebay items i stated ... if you're a non US resident you will pay for a shipping method that includes tacking and insurance, and if you don't like it don't bid...

now of course everyone is throwing fit that its $28 to ship a 7" and they don't want to pay it...

this is some miserable shit, ebay is such a pain in the ass.

it seems many sellers have one or more bad experiences. On top of the fact that ebay and paypal take plenty out of your sale for themselves, now we have to gamble with shady international shipping and taking the risk of being out additional money or records?

But, if you exclude international bidders you may be driving the price down on whatever you are selling. I don't sell on ebay all the time, but whenever I do list a few things it's almost guaranteed that I will be sending at least one package internationally. In fact, the last bunch of stuff I listed, the person who won the most auctions and the most expensive items was from the Netherlands.

I also have never personally had any issues shipping international. (hope that doesn't jinx the package on it's way to the Netherlands)

oh I agree. I have sold plenty of items overseas and I fully understand how offering those items for sale anywhere will certainly always increase the price. I just mean as a seller sometimes it is not unreasonable to ask international bidders to pay a higher shipping cost to ensure all parties get what is coming to them. I do not do this all the time. If it's a record under $50 I usually will not require this but if I sell a record that goes for a hundred of more I will. If it ends up being a buyer that has many positive feedbacks relating to vinyl sometimes I will offer to ship it another way and refund some money.

Also if it is someone I trust from the board I will not do this. With ebay you really don't know who you are dealing with. I will sometimes even mention VC or ask if the buyer is on VC and will cut them a deal on shipping.

I also will double box rarer records that are being shipped to other countries.

I list that international buyers take responsibility for items lost in the mail. I've heard that paypal/ebay don't agree with this, but at least if something does get lost maybe the person will have second thoughts about filing a claim...

On the other hand I've never had any problems mailing internationally

Don't be so quick to blame other countries. I live in Japan which has the best post office system in the world. Sometimes orders from the US are late, but it's usually the fault of the USPS. It usually takes about 6 days to get an order here, but I've been waiting for 4 weeks now for an order. The last time, I called the USPS and found out it hadn't even left the US, just sitting there.

That said, I do think it's fair to tack that stuff on or give the option to the buyer to take a risk which the buyer agrees not to hold you accountable for.

I've been waiting for a record from the states. The person sending the record was forwarding Enema of the State to me as they wouldn't ship to the UK. She recieved it around the 17th July, so presuming she sent it out around that date it's been over 1 and a half months. Not really holding out for it anymore :(

yeah this isnt a one time issue... between the label and ebay i've sent out a ton of packages over the years and i've got burnt at least a dozen times.... also paypal does not accept customs numbers as proof of shipment, at least they didn't with me... hell paypal didn't accept priority tracking, with the weight of thepackage documented to prove i sent something.... they pretty much always side with the buyer these days.

Nope, laying it all out there doesn't mean you're an asshole at all. If people aren't happy with the terms, they can simply not bid. Now if you did it after the fact it's a different story.

If you're a seller trying to win out via Paypal/eBay, good luck. You're almost always screwed nowadays. I had a poster I sent within the US damaged by the USPS and they guy didn't get insurance and I still had no case.

He even waited like a week and a half after he would've received it to file the claim. Claimed I damaged it while packing it on top of the USPS damage. I had photos showing the condition before I sent it and everything and this guy got away with a partial refund. So now you can claim that the seller damaged it between listing it and shipping it and get away with it.

Anytime I list something now I make it clear that I'm not going to be liable for anything unless the proper shipping/insurance/etc. is paid for in full from the buyer. Sucks it has to be this way but it's WAY too easy to take advantage of sellers these days.

Actually, maybe it's just me, but if something that I ordered from a regular dude on ebay or even from a small label never turns up, I let it go, and don't screw the seller once more after he/she was kind enough to ship it overseas. Well ok, these kinda "lost" thing only happened to me with clothes and CDs back in the day, never with vinyl, so maybe this is why I'm so kind:)

I've been selling records for 15 years, my partner for nearly 40, and we send out over 1000 packages per month with at least 40% going overseas. On an average year we lose no more than 1-3 packages per year. Most that are thought lost end up back at our door (this usually takes 6 weeks). Generally sellers won't ship to Italy or the Middle East, but we ship everywhere. Our general rule of thumb is parcels with a value over $100 must be sent Priority or Express Mail (we haven't lost one of those ever). Paypal started accepting the customs form number as tracking a couple years ago, but unfortunately that number only proves the parcel was mailed and does not show the parcel as delivered. There for Paypal will side with the buyer every single time as there's no proof of delivery. I personally lose no sleep over a lost $20 parcel, but can understand where this would be a big deal to others, and would suggest using Priority Flat rate whenever possible. Hope that helps.

now of course everyone is throwing fit that its $28 to ship a 7" and they don't want to pay it...

Just on a side note I keep all receipts from the usps on international packages for proof that I shipped it when delivery confirmation isn't purchased.

I also keep them for references when people inquire about shipping charges so I don't have to remember prices or check with the post office.

I've been selling records for 15 years, my partner for nearly 40, and we send out over 1000 packages per month with at least 40% going overseas. On an average year we lose no more than 1-3 packages per year. Most that are thought lost end up back at our door (this usually takes 6 weeks). Generally sellers won't ship to Italy or the Middle East, but we ship everywhere. Our general rule of thumb is parcels with a value over $100 must be sent Priority or Express Mail (we haven't lost one of those ever). Paypal started accepting the customs form number as tracking a couple years ago, but unfortunately that number only proves the parcel was mailed and does not show the parcel as delivered. There for Paypal will side with the buyer every single time as there's no proof of delivery. I personally lose no sleep over a lost $20 parcel, but can understand where this would be a big deal to others, and would suggest using Priority Flat rate whenever possible. Hope that helps.

the post office flood uses is incredibly bad...they somehow make the Chicago system seem flawless...I think it's all about your local office though, cause my post office rules and the ladies that work there love me because they know even when I show up with 10-20 packages that everything is set and they won't have any issues with them and i have all the customs forms ready to go.