What's your greatest Ebay un-score?

luckily i've never been burned like this as a seller, but i've gotten burned a number of times as a buyer where the person selling refuses to send out the item i've won because it didn't sell for as much as they were expecting/wanting. it sucks, but what can you do? they always refunded my money, so it's not the end of the world.

I have been fairly lucky with the limited number of stuff i have unloaded. However, i had the Rain on the Parade Body Bag E.P. (clear of 100) go with only one bid (~5.00). It has sold for north of 50 beans in prior auctions. Luckily, it balanced out with the 1st snapcase 7" (clear blue of 51) that went for nearly a c-note. i guess some people really like snapcase. weird.

luckily i've never been burned like this as a seller, but i've gotten burned a number of times as a buyer where the person selling refuses to send out the item i've won because it didn't sell for as much as they were expecting/wanting. it sucks, but what can you do? they always refunded my money, so it's not the end of the world.

Really? Dont they have a reserve they can set so that doesnt happen? I dont spend alot of time on ebay in the past 6 years or so, but I remember those used to be there.

In point of thread, Ive only sold one thing on ebay, the rest Ive just bought. I sold a rare Dashboard shirt that got me 45 bucks. I was more than pleased.

that blows. I have never had anyone not send a record because it went too low for them, but have been worried a few times because i picked up something real cheap for whatever reason (bad listing, bad luck, etc.). That's the inherent risk of putting something up for auction - something you accept when you list it. If you want a guaranteed minimum then set a higher initial price or reserve. People win and lose everyday and sometimes you just got to eat the sh*t sandwich. Doesn't ebay frown on such practices?

That said, its better you got a refund rather then "...it must be lost in the mail."

that blows. I have never had anyone not send a record because it went too low for them, but have been worried a few times because i picked up something real cheap for whatever reason (bad listing, bad luck, etc.). That's the inherent risk of putting something up for auction - something you accept when you list it. If you want a guaranteed minimum then set a higher initial price or reserve. People win and lose everyday and sometimes you just got to eat the sh*t sandwich. Doesn't ebay frown on such practices?

That said, its better you got a refund rather then "...it must be lost in the mail."

My point exactly. I know Id be pretty pissed if it happened to me. Get a great score, and then they back out. Yeah I got the money, but I lost the great deal. Thats why I think they should have you set a reserve (free of charge) or the people set a higher price on it. It seems to be alot easier to flake as a seller then it does as a buyer.

I think if you start a bid at .99 cents you need to expect it will go for that. if I dont at worse case want it to go for that then I'll set a price. I hate reserves. Just tell people what you want for it and let them bid. So I cant be mad if something goes for cheap because its ultimately my fault if I didnt get what I wanted. plus in an auction setting nothings ever guaranteed. But on the other side hooray for ebay scores because sellers list at .99 cents!

For the most part I only sell on ebay when their listings are free. That way I can start the listing at what I want to get and if it sells for more, great, if it doesn't sell then I'll either hang on to the record or list it again at the same price or lower. Free listings are great.

I believe reserves cost about $2 so I don't really understand why anyone uses them. If the reserve is under $100 it's cheaper to just start the auction at whatever amount your reserve is. I think the only difference is that if the auction goes for less than the reserve the seller has the option of selling it for what the auction ends at? Not sure about that.

I've never bought anything where the seller decided they didn't want to sell it anymore. I guess I've been lucky or never gotten a good steal.

eBay is a fickle mistress. My record store once sold a Uniform Choice "Screaming for Change" on green or red (I don't remember anymore) for $20. It usually sells for $200. I suppose that's a part of it's allure. You never know when you're going to win something awesome for something super cheap.

eBay is a fickle mistress. My record store once sold a Uniform Choice "Screaming for Change" on green or red (I don't remember anymore) for $20. It usually sells for $200. I suppose that's a part of it's allure. You never know when you're going to win something awesome for something super cheap.

exasctly. hell i just won the rorschach 2xlp for $6. i ain't complaining...

I'm pretty burnt out on sellers who religiously use shill bidding. Shit's weak and should be illegal.

how common do you think it is? So sellers are bidding on their items using someone else's account to jack up the price. They could get burned if they don't get a higher bid and have to eat the fees. I wonder if ebay checks to see if there is constantly the same bidder on someone's auctions. I guess a sure sign would be someone always putting up items that have "sold" before. I have been not paid before and re-listed, but that was only once.

why people got to be jerks?

It's rough selling on ebay lately. I tend to list things around what I think they are worth if it's something I care about. If not I start the bidding low and will take whatever. Between all the fees Ebay and paypal take it's making it less fun to sell on there. Unfortunately they are the most visible option right now.

I haven't scored anything amazing vinyl wise on there lately. I keep trolling looking for stuff. I actually just missed a record that only sold for like $37 the other day and I am pissed!

I'm pretty burnt out on sellers who religiously use shill bidding. Shit's weak and should be illegal.

how common do you think it is? So sellers are bidding on their items using someone else's account to jack up the price. They could get burned if they don't get a higher bid and have to eat the fees. I wonder if ebay checks to see if there is constantly the same bidder on someone's auctions. I guess a sure sign would be someone always putting up items that have "sold" before. I have been not paid before and re-listed, but that was only once.

why people got to be jerks?

its pretty common. and the sellers have multiple accounts they use to bid on their own auctions, at least the smart ones do so it's tougher to pin down and prove shill bidding. theyre not using someone else's accounts, theyre using ones they made for the sole purpose of shill bidding. ebay doesnt care too much about shill bidding because it give them more money. they get the listing/re-listing fees plus a bigger cut if the item sells for a higher amount.

the only time ebay cares enough to take some sort of action against an auction or user is if its costing them money. i make it a point to report fucked up auctions for one reason or another and it only resulted in one out of the probably hundreds ive reported over the years actually getting taken down. one where the seller was charging $10 shipping via media mail with an auction that started at 1 cent. this was before ebay implemented the $4 shipping cap. that auction was clearly a way to circumvent ebay's fees, and the next day it was taken down.

I was so pissed about the fact that the reception on my phone cut out just in time for me to not be able to bid via ebay mobile app last-minute on the Music Tapes/Dad split 7" picture disc that was just up and it went for $5. I can't remember the last time it was even up for sale, let alone that cheap.

It's rough selling on ebay lately. I tend to list things around what I think they are worth if it's something I care about. If not I start the bidding low and will take whatever. Between all the fees Ebay and paypal take it's making it less fun to sell on there. Unfortunately they are the most visible option right now.

I'm with you on that.