Glassjaw - Worship and Tribute on RSD

gmoney

Short update on my experiments with the LP.

I've done a number of things on each side. Multiple RCM fluids and scrubbings, including use of an enzymatic. Had it vpi'd. Alcohol, diluted peroxide solutions, dish soap, you name it. Did a final rinse with water, a woodglue treatment on each side peeled after a day, then another woodglue treatment, this time leaving it before peeling for over an entire week.

Verdict - untreatable unfortunately, it is a chemical reaction, there's nothing that could be done. Side 2 does sound super quiet though. The noise is somewhat minimized from a playback before any treatment whatsoever, but not really by any notable amount. Most of the music on side A overpowers this surface noise completely anyhow. So if you still wanted one with the unique artwork, it is by no means unenjoyable.

The few well-protected copies still in nice shape should be very nice and not passed up. The new MoV has potential to sound better, but I have no complaints about the sound here as it's not that great a recording anyhow. Not sure how much improvement could be done on it.

Found it interesting that the wood glue for side A retains that hazed appearance, and doesn't reflect light the same way the as the grooves on the glue for side B. The hazy glue surface has an inherent scratchiness that you can feel with your finger whereas the unaffected side is extremely smooth.

Side b played without a hint of surface noise even through the silent portion at the end of the side.

I've done a number of things on each side. Multiple RCM fluids and scrubbings, including use of an enzymatic. Had it vpi'd. Alcohol, diluted peroxide solutions, dish soap, you name it. Did a final rinse with water, a woodglue treatment on each side peeled after a day, then another woodglue treatment, this time leaving it before peeling for over an entire week.

Verdict - untreatable unfortunately, it is a chemical reaction, there's nothing that could be done. Side 2 does sound super quiet though. The noise is somewhat minimized from a playback before any treatment whatsoever, but not really by any notable amount. Most of the music on side A overpowers this surface noise completely anyhow. So if you still wanted one with the unique artwork, it is by no means unenjoyable.

The few well-protected copies still in nice shape should be very nice and not passed up. The new MoV has potential to sound better, but I have no complaints about the sound here as it's not that great a recording anyhow. Not sure how much improvement could be done on it.

Found it interesting that the wood glue for side A retains that hazed appearance, and doesn't reflect light the same way the as the grooves on the glue for side B. The hazy glue surface has an inherent scratchiness that you can feel with your finger whereas the unaffected side is extremely smooth.

Side b played without a hint of surface noise even through the silent portion at the end of the side.

Yeah, I think were all screwed. Hopefully they do a black re-press so I can buy an extra and get rid of the messed up one but still kep the packaging. Minus the outgassing insert.

Yeah, I think were all screwed. Hopefully they do a black re-press so I can buy an extra and get rid of the messed up one but still kep the packaging. Minus the outgassing insert.

I'm pretty sure MOV will press this on black. In any case, if you have a replacement or a copy that's still good, if you use a rice paper sleeve or something similar, you can retain most of the visual effect while keeping the record safe. Even if your copy is already ruined I'd still recommend putting in a different sleeve as we don't know the extent of just how bad it can get over time.

It seems to be safe to keep the record in the jacket as even without any extra protection, this problem doesn't affect the b-side at all. As long as there is no direct contact with the insert you should be safe and still able to use the sleeve.

I'm pretty sure MOV will press this on black. In any case, if you have a replacement or a copy that's still good, if you use a rice paper sleeve or something similar, you can retain most of the visual effect while keeping the record safe. Even if your copy is already ruined I'd still recommend putting in a different sleeve as we don't know the extent of just how bad it can get over time.

It seems to be safe to keep the record in the jacket as even without any extra protection, this problem doesn't affect the b-side at all. As long as there is no direct contact with the insert you should be safe and still able to use the sleeve.

I'll definitely take care of it if I get a replacement, but as far as the ones I have now (White and Black) they are just something to look at now. Stupid outgassing. We just need to get Hot Topic to press more white so i can replace that one too.

We are talking about the first pressing. It got messed up because the insert that came with it embedded a chemical into the vinyl causing severe surface noise and visual stains.

I've read through the thread looking for info on the RSD/HT pressings - is this relevant to all copies of both of these pressings?

If so, I guess no-one will be wanting this (and not just because of the price).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Worship-And-Tribute-VINYL-Glassjaw/dp/B004OKFIR2/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401801873&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=glassjaw+worship+and+tribute+vinyl

I've read through the thread looking for info on the RSD/HT pressings - is this relevant to all copies of both of these pressings?

If so, I guess no-one will be wanting this (and not just because of the price).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Worship-And-Tribute-VINYL-Glassjaw/dp/B004OKFIR2/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401801873&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=glassjaw+worship+and+tribute+vinyl

Yes, all hot topic and RSD copies. Somehow that SoundCityBeaches or whatever had some on ebay that werent messed up. I havent seen any in a while though. I think thats who was selling them.

I wonder why it says box set in the title. Kinda hard to have an 11 disc box set with glassjaw.

Roman numerals?

Yes, all hot topic and RSD copies. Somehow that SoundCityBeaches or whatever had some on ebay that werent messed up. I havent seen any in a while though. I think thats who was selling them.

So if you bought one of those on Amazon, you're very likely to be buying something worthless and from what I've read on this thread, even if it is playable, the sound quality isn't that great? I'll stick with my MOV version.

Roman numerals?

So if you bought one of those on Amazon, you're very likely to be buying something worthless and from what I've read on this thread, even if it is playable, the sound quality isn't that great? I'll stick with my MOV version.

It sort of depends. its probably 50/50 since there were new copies that people recently bought from amazon and ebay that had no problems at all and apparently the sheet inside that caused the problem was made of a different material. The ones that ebay seller had were perfect, somehow that seller has been able to get some out of print pressings of records in new condition at low prices. Maybe there were more pressed that were slowly leaking out but its kind of a gamble. Most likely the one on amazon right now is the new MOV pressing. You can always buy it from amazon marketplace sellers and if its messed up youll be able to see it right away and you can just return it.

yeah vinyl to vinyl, or mylar to vinyl, will cause a chemical bond. Enzymatic cleaners, such as scrubbing bubbles, work with organic material as enzymes themselves are biotic organisms, and ultrasonic cleaners, from your older post, are still dependent on detergent. No deep cleaning will break the chemical bond created and still allow it to be playable. I commend your efforts, but science shows us that some things are not possible unfortunately.

Ordered because Amazon should honor that price if you get an order in before they raise the price.

Yeah, me too. Any price over that I probably wouldn't have ordered this record...but that plus Grimes - Visions for $25 ppd is too good for me to pass up.

EDIT: I mean...it's a good record, don't see myself listening to it too often though.