what's the most you've ever spent on a record?

Guest vinyldoa

Hundreds. Majosha - Shut Up and Listen to Majosha.

damn, i think i've only seen one on ebay ever. though i don't really check for folds vinyl much any more... how much did you pay?

$225 - lawrence arms - oh calcutta (blue) + apathy (green)

$130 - lawrence arms - greatest story (maroon)

$121 - ryan adams - love is hell

$125 - the finger - we are fuck you (red)

i bought the lawrence arms records like 4-5 years ago, when i was in high school, had a job, and had nothing to spend my money on. that's the extent of paying big bucks for used vinyl. this isn't including box sets or special editions (stuff around $100, usually)

I still struggle to justify (and can hardly afford) spending over £40 on single items, but I've gone over recently on items to complete collections. Seem to spend more on new pressings than on stuff through the secondary market, like the recent Chemical Underground Mogwai & Arab Strap boxes.

So about $125

$380 The Get Up Kids - Something To Write Home About clear mispress / 5
oooooOOOOOOO!

I love this thread because 4/5 times the records that people spend ridiculous money on are really unique and seem to be collection-makers! i didn't even know there were mispressed STWHA records floating around. That rules.

it's weird when I see peoples' big buys be records that came out in the last five years. Records (in general) depreciate in value. It's cheaper to wait it out on most new high dollar records. There are obviously a lot of records that go up a lot over the years, but almost every record goes down in value.

I spent over a hundred on Minor Threat "In My Eyes", but I've sold a lot of records for over $100 so I don't feel bad about it. Plus it's a classic, not some flavor of the week.

Guest vinyldoa

me too, that's generally my philosophy

I wish life could be like this but some records are just more expensive. Do you just deal with the fact that there are some records you'll never have very often or do just manage to get every release you want when its first released so you never have to go back and buy out of print records?

I actually really have a lot of luck with ebay and getting really good deals. and I do my best to get things when they first come out. I'm not really too strict with it, I guess it just depends on how much I want things haha

Bad Religion "Into The Unknown" - 125 Euro's.

Bad Religion "Tested" 2 x LP - about £97 UK pounds (came with a copy of Suffer but didn't need that).

The Lillingtons "Shit Out of Luck" tour edition (out of 300) just today - more than I should have.

I'll probably be selling some records over the next few years to counter-balance the stupid prices I've paid on stuff that's high priority "want".

That said I got some good deals recently - Samiam "Astray" for £6 and Crimpshrine "Duct Tape Soup" for £1.99.

eBay is seriously random as fuck at times. If I could guarantee getting the maximum that The Lillingtons "Too Late Show" on red is listed as going for on Popsike, I'd definitely sell mine.

$100ppd for LTJ pie tin box set

$65ppd for I Hate Myself - 4 Songs on clear

$130ppd for the three sets of test pressings for the Bread: The Edible Napkin comp (but really that's only $22/record)

Plenty of $40 7"s as well to complete my collection (LTJ/Pung, Danarchy on black, etc.)

If you are a collector, it's just the nature of the beast. You will always wind up spending way more than you thought on some stuff. But then there's the times where you score things for way cheap. ($20ppd for a Strikeforce Diablo test, 99cents for the Strikeforce Diable/Twelve Hour Turn Split, 99cents for the Strikeforce Diablo S/T CDEP, $25 for a set of three different I Hate Myself LPs (2 of which I needed for my collection!)) It works itself out in the end.

whatever mine was, i'm sure it was a mountain goats record. i'm fairly certain that i paid $75+ for my copy of Devil In The Shortwave EP, and i definitely paid $60+ for the Satanic Messiah 2x7".

it'll be topped eventually when i finally get high bidder on Come, Come To The Sunset Tree.

Pretty sure most of my really expensive ones were tMG. I paid over $200 for Full Force Galesburg.

I also got the Sub Pop singles 7" a few years ago for around $50...but took it to the first tMG show I ever went to and left it at the venue :(

One of the first records I ever bought in a shop was a UK import (The Streets - Original Pirate Material) and I paid about $50CDN after tax for it, so my tolerance for how much I would pay for a record was set pretty high right from the start.

I've paid $40 - 50 for about 5 records, and almost $100 for one.