Oh Ben Weasel, You Dinosaur, You! (SXSW Fight)

I really think these guys totally put more light on the issue. as i suggested i truly believe ben hitting these women doesn't deserve his "woman beater" status, but just a incident that got out of control. but this incident was the nail in the coffin for most to realize the dude is not a nice guy in general.

Joe's sentiments are not even worth commenting on.

I also liked their comment (though I didn't "like" their comment)

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as i suggested i truly believe ben hitting these women doesn't deserve his "woman beater" status

How many women do you have to hit before you get a "woman beater" status?

I agree that it was an incident that got out of hand, but that's too bad.

There are men who it doesn't matter how mad they get or what reason they feel like it was justified, they'd never EVER hit a woman.

as i suggested i truly believe ben hitting these women doesn't deserve his "woman beater" status

There are men who it doesn't matter how mad they get or what reason they feel like it was justified, they'd never EVER hit a woman.

i don't know. how many licks does if take to get to the center of a tootsie pop? seriously, i don't know. i'll ask my step-dad (ok, that was uncalled for... not)

weird story. my buddy slapped the shit out of a woman once at a bar, but she came at him with a bottle. he even made light of it by saying "stay down or i'll go all ike turner on your ass bitch". so it seemed justified. the bartender wasn't having it and kicked us out (more him than me, but i left). found out she attempted it again on another guy later that evening which resulted in 18 stitches on the dudes face. good times.

cocaine's a hell of a drug.

i don't know. how many licks does if take to get to the center of a tootsie pop? seriously, i don't know. i'll ask my step-dad (ok, that was uncalled for... not)

weird story. my buddy slapped the shit out of a woman once at a bar, but she came at him with a bottle. he even made light of it by saying "stay down or i'll go all ike turner on your ass bitch". so it seemed justified. the bartender wasn't having it and kicked us out (more him than me, but i left). found out she attempted it again on another guy later that evening which resulted in 18 stitches on the dudes face. good times.

Ben might be treated differently if either of the TWO women he hit attacked him with a weapon of any sort. Neither did.

LOL that dangerous dave shit. really?! really, folks. waaaaaaa we hurt ben's feelings because no one wants to be associated with a woman beater. waaaaaaambulance.

for fucks sake someone give him the telephone book of celebrities who get away with assault so he can call one of them and cry about it.

so not punk rock, ben. there's no crying in punk rock. there is however petty bitching and punching chicks.

pussy.

Ben might be treated differently if either of the TWO women he hit attacked him with a weapon of any sort. Neither did.

oh, it wasn't pertaining to ben.. just a weird story i decided to tell for no reason...

but we need to have it come to light.. ben was also verbally assaulting the crowd with his rhetoric. does that count as at least misdemeanor assault? :P

and why haven't we all talked about how he looks like chris meloni from SVU. don't tapdance around the subject people.

[image][image]

didn't the first girl throw ice at his face? I'm not sure how big the piece of ice was, but I'd think a cube of ice to, say, the eye could do some damage

but yeah, I feel bad for everyone involved:

1) the girl got punched (not without blame).

2) ben weasel screwed up his band, and probably his life (not without blame).

3) kepi(!!!) got criticized by joe queer for dropping out of weasel fest (which I think was at least partially influenced by chixdiggit dropping out first).

4) I'm probably going to have to wait a lot longer before the first two riverdales records get repressed.

5) the screeching weasel website store probably won't get launched for a long time (I want the red/black split, and I only want to pay $20 for it).

and most importantly,

6) lots of fans are missing out on seeing a lot of bands

joe queer said they're still playing in chicago, whether it be at weaselfest or somewhere else, but teenage bottlerocket doesn't seem to be. hopefully the manges are still coming, and hopefully they add a show in minneapolis

hahaha ben, what a sad silly motherfucker this joker is.

who the fuck cares if ice was thrown..if it was from a drink it was at best crushed or smaller then what you would have at home(most bars don't do huge cubes for drinks)

i know the last time i came on here and said something about ben, i got the good ol boys from teen idles to call up MP and have him tell me to stop talking about ben....but i'll be honest i don't really care this time around.

ben is a piece of shit, always has been, always will be. the fact that you have these other people...behind him giving him the praise for helping build a scene....sorry fucks....he stole everything he did from the ramones....so he didn't build a scene. he started something put a new little spin on it, and in the end became a fucking coward.

who the fuck hit's a girl for spitting or throwing ice? who hits a girl who is trying to stop a fight who happens to work for a club?

these people are not backing out for no reason.....they fucking hate you, they most likely have always hated you but just put up with your shit to work with an "icon"

so now you'll go recruit some has beens in the "PUNK" community to fill the voids. good luck, you'll still suck!

so do the scene a favor......kick rocks old man. you sir are fucking done! and if you could, take some of these has been 40+ punk rockers with you.....it's getting.

oh but not keith morris......he slays.

hahaha ben, what a sad silly motherfucker this joker is.

who the fuck cares if ice was thrown..if it was from a drink it was at best crushed or smaller then what you would have at home(most bars don't do huge cubes for drinks)

i know the last time i came on here and said something about ben, i got the good ol boys from teen idles to call up MP and have him tell me to stop talking about ben....but i'll be honest i don't really care this time around.

ben is a piece of shit, always has been, always will be. the fact that you have these other people...behind him giving him the praise for helping build a scene....sorry fucks....he stole everything he did from the ramones....so he didn't build a scene. he started something put a new little spin on it, and in the end became a fucking coward.

who the fuck hit's a girl for spitting or throwing ice? who hits a girl who is trying to stop a fight who happens to work for a club?

these people are not backing out for no reason.....they fucking hate you, they most likely have always hated you but just put up with your shit to work with an "icon"

so now you'll go recruit some has beens in the "PUNK" community to fill the voids. good luck, you'll still suck!

so do the scene a favor......kick rocks old man. you sir are fucking done! and if you could, take some of these has been 40+ punk rockers with you.....it's getting.

oh but not keith morris......he slays.

+1

I really think these guys totally put more light on the issue. as i suggested i truly believe ben hitting these women doesn't deserve his "woman beater" status, but just a incident that got out of control. but this incident was the nail in the coffin for most to realize the dude is not a nice guy in general.

Joe's sentiments are not even worth commenting on.

Can you repost this for those who don't facebook?

Can you repost this for those who don't facebook?

Hello everyone, we’d like to take some time to clear the air and address some concerns about our recent decision to drop off of Weaselfest. First of all we would like to apologize once again to anyone who wanted to see us that weekend, we are very sorry and hope to make it up to everyone of you as soon as possible. People have a lot of very strong opinions about what happened at this year’s SXSW during Screeching Weasel’s set. Many of you are of the opinion that the girls who got punched deserved it and that Ben was in the right. Many others believe that Ben was in the wrong and should not have reacted the way he did. We happen to agree with the latter opinion. We understand that it can be difficult to deal with hecklers and difficult crowd members, we’ve all been there. What doesn’t help is belittling the entire crowd the entire show and taking your frustrations about your situation on them. Ben was obviously frustrated with the fact that he was playing SXSW as well as the $250 paycheck. What many people don’t know is that EVERY band playing an official SXSW showcase gets $250. Nobody is really playing there because it’s a big money maker; most of us are playing because either we feel it’s good exposure, or better yet, because it’s fun. In fact that’s pretty much ours and many other bands approach to punk rock. There’s not a lot of money, but we do it still, because it’s fun and we love it.

Either way, Ben was frustrated, which is his right, but he physically attacked two women. We simply can’t stand for that kind of violence toward anyone. As far as standing behind someone who has stood behind us: Ben Weasel has not only never stood behind TBR, he has gone out of his way to publicly trash our band in the past. He spent a few years having nothing but bad things to say about not only our band, but many of our mutual associates and even close friends. If the tables were turned, Ben would not only abandon us, but go out of his way to trash us further. It wasn’t until recently that efforts were made on both sides to put all of that in the past, which is when we decided to play Weaselfest in the first place. We were doing our best to try and let bygones be bygones, but then the SXSW incident happened and along with it came many other problems. Ben ended relationships with our mutual booking agent Deborah as well as our mutual publicist Vanessa. Deborah has worked with many bands over the years, including Screeching Weasel, The Queers and TBR. She works very hard for her bands and is also a great friend. Vanessa also works hard and cares about every band she represents. Furthermore Ben constantly criticizes any label he’s associated with, currently Fat Wreck Chords. Ben not only writes lyrics attacking the label but makes onstage comments about the label and its owner. It’s difficult for us to understand how any of this is the booking agent, publicist, manager or record label’s fault. He did apologize to everyone, but behind the scenes he was ending many of those relationships. Ben Weasel has a history of feuding with those he works with, those who help him and especially other bands. We all grew up loving Screeching Weasel and readily admit they have been a huge influence on our music. However Ben Weasel has crossed the line time and time again, and as much as we’ve tried to be friends and pay respect, the SXSW incident and his actions since are grounds for us to decide we don’t want to be associated with him anymore. We’re not trying to be saints or whatever else, we simply: Do not condone violence against women or anyone for that matter, and no longer want to be associated with a person who treats so many people close to us with such little respect. Apologies again to anyone who wanted to see us this weekend; trust us we’re bummed out too, but we promise we will do our best to make it up to all of you.

Goin' and goin' and goin'...

Are we seriously calling him a woman beater now? For punching one girl and hitting another with very womanly looking slaps?

Hell, I bet the girl he punched could hit harder than he hit her. ::)

So Regret, how many women is it acceptable to hit and how many is enough to get labeled a woman beater?

So who's left? The Queers and Ben?

Shot Baker is still planning to play.

i'm assuming these bands are as well:

KURT BAKER, VISITORS, SONIC AVENUES, THE STEVE ADAMYK BAND

Did Toys That Kill cancel? the Manges? I'm assuming the Jetty Boys won't be welcome to play

I still don't know if the Riverdales broke up too?

Goin' and goin' and goin'...

Are we seriously calling him a woman beater now? For punching one girl and hitting another with very womanly looking slaps?

Hell, I bet the girl he punched could hit harder than he hit her. ::)

So Regret, how many women is it acceptable to hit and how many is enough to get labeled a woman beater?

I'm just saying this incident doesn't exactly show me he consistently beats women on a regular basis.

He punched a girl in the face that spit ice on him. Of course it wasn't right, but it's not like he punched her for NO reason.

It's not like he was walking around just punching every woman at the show in the face because he felt like it.

Also, for the record, I think this guy is a giant douche. I don't think he's a woman beater though, sorry.

Maybe if he punches another one at a different time it'll show me some repetition and I'll think twice.