What are your OCD record tendencies?

Just wondering if anyone else has these?

My biggest one is that I can't get an album from a band unless it is my favorite album of theirs that is available on vinyl.

For example, I have passed up on getting Mastodon 'Blood Mountain' at least a half dozen times including the first press because I want to get Leviathan first. This is in spite of the fact that I've never even attempted to get Leviathan.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to listen to it before it goes on the shelf. And add it to my google docs list.

I wish i was better about this. organization is key but I slack on that so bad. I've been getting in the habit of listening to a record as soon as i get it these days. it's tough when you get 15 at once. my record list is a disaster, so outdated.

my OCD is needing to have every possible release a band has released on vinyl. not necessarily every variant, just a single copy of each. it doesn't always happen but when the price is right, maybe.

i just alphabetized my collection over the last week. initially it was set up mostly by genre, but that got annoying. i feel like i overlooked a lot of my stuff because of it.

now its nice to have artists in new surroundings... feels more like my ipod lol.

Everything was alphabetical until I ran out of space in the place I was keeping them. Right now I have all my newest records just sitting in a box and it sucks because I can't find anything else to keep them in.

I have an order on the way for both more plastic outer sleeves as well as the paper insert thing the record sits in (I forget what it's called.) Once those come in and my girlfriend stops losing her mind with how much I spend on records, I'm going to pick up a cleaning brush of some sort. I'll then clean all my records and put them into a brand new white paper thing.

I open my records with a razor blade. I keep the plastic wrap on if I don't have any extra poly bags. After opening I pull out the record notice the color for a second then promptly look at the matrix. Every record I get I look at the matrix right away for some reason.

Careful leaving on the shrink, man. It will keep shrinking sometimes and wrinkle corners or kinda warp the jacket. I've also had color from the cover get stuck to the shrink wrap and come off when I take it off.

I open my records with a razor blade. I keep the plastic wrap on if I don't have any extra poly bags. After opening I pull out the record notice the color for a second then promptly look at the matrix. Every record I get I look at the matrix right away for some reason.

Careful leaving on the shrink, man. It will keep shrinking sometimes and wrinkle corners or kinda warp the jacket. I've also had color from the cover get stuck to the shrink wrap and come off when I take it off.

This color getting stuck to the shrink tends to happen a lot with 90s records. Also, tons of 90s records with the shrink still on leaves a sticky residue. The shrink wrap most companies use now is much better so it might not happen too often.

This color getting stuck to the shrink tends to happen a lot with 90s records. Also, tons of 90s records with the shrink still on leaves a sticky residue. The shrink wrap most companies use now is much better so it might not happen too often.

Thanks for the heads up. It's only when I don't have extra bags which I'm currently out of. I'll probably order some more in the next week or two.

probably to look for the dreaded United pressing marking (u) so you can groan and realize how bad the record is going to suck to listen to :P i'm always checking those just to see what side is the right to play.

All my records have to fit in the same exact style of plastic sleeve and have to be in alphabetical order.

My records are in alphabetical order, but I definitly need some new poly sleeves. Mine are all different and mis-matched, and some are without. Drives me nuts. My OCD tendencies are to update my deadformat list, and listen to the record as soon as I get it.

I first check to see if there is any warpage, then i clean and store the records in mo fi inner sleeves, followed by finding the right size resealable sleeve for the record. Can't listen to anything recently, because my turntable broke again, then add it to that google spreadsheet list the next day. Also, i love the smell of new records !

I love this thread.

First I update my RYM catalog page and make sure all of the information for that vinyl issue is correct. If it's a new record I usually try to open it with a razor and keep the shrink intact, but if I fuck up the opening I will try to save any stickers from the exterior of the record and peel them off to put them on the poly sleeve. From used records, I remove any price stickers and then file in one of three places. If it is an album that I know I love (or at least really like), I will file it away into my alphabetized collection. If it's an album I blind bought, I will stack it in an unsorted section and try to listen to it and evaluate to decide if it's worth keeping (and filing away) or something I'm going to sell towards more records. My third section is for albums made in 2011/2010 and those are also alphabetized. I also try to download every album I buy, if it's not available for download I will usually try to rip the record to Audacity and import into my itunes because I like to try to keep my Last FM as updated as possible with what I'm listening to (I play the record muted in my itunes while listening to it on my turntable for scrobbling purposes).

[/nerdy obsessiveness]

This is a CD thing, but same deal: when I used to have a sizable number of CDs, there was ONE CD that was labeled backwards. By that I mean if it faced the same way as all the others in the case the spine label was upside down. It drove me crazy trying to come to terms with the fact that it was never going to be perfect. Every day or so i would flip it, thinking it was wrong the way it was. It just got ridiculous.

It is also driving me nuts that my records aren't strictly alphabetized. They are all under the correct letter, but in no particular order after that. I want to fix that but I can't find the time.

This is a CD thing, but same deal: when I used to have a sizable number of CDs, there was ONE CD that was labeled backwards. By that I mean if it faced the same way as all the others in the case the spine label was upside down. It drove me crazy trying to come to terms with the fact that it was never going to be perfect. Every day or so i would flip it, thinking it was wrong the way it was. It just got ridiculous.

Them's the breaks. I just deal with the flipped text because it annoys me more to pull a CD out and have it be backwards from what I was expecting.

All my records are alphabetized, with last name taking priority over first except in the case of band names that are more than a name, such as Black Joe Lewis and the Honeybears (filed under B).

Yeah, that's the shittiest thing that's happened to me with shrink wrap. I've never noticed my covers bending, but the color sticking actually happened to me with the All Aboard: Tribute to Johnny Cash record. After that I pulled the shrink wrap off of any I had left it on.

yeah, so even though i have most of my stuff in poly sleeves, i still open every record with a razor blade, and leave the shrink on for a bit. except for gatefolds.

1. place paper sleeve on a table and the record on top.

2. spray with anti-static AT record cleanica

3. clean with the white AT brush with the bumpy-edged surface (amaze at all the paper and gunk that comes off from new records)

4. replace paper sleeve with anti-static translucent plastic sleeve with paper background (not sure if these are available outside of Japan; you can see the entire record as it sits i the sleeve)

4. place the plastic sleeve in sideways so that the sleeve never needs to be removed when taking out a record/

5. place jacket in a sleeve with a resealable flap. place the flap on the side of the jacket so the jacket never needs to be removed from the sleeve. also easy to read the spine.

6. place original paper sleeve in the recycle.