Studio Ghibli fans

grave of the fireflies is one of the greatest movies ever made... ever. but also one of the saddest. like, prepared to have your day fucking ruined. anyway, stoked for arrietty!

i cried like a baby the first time i saw grave of the fireflies

I have yet to see an Anime as sad as Grave...

Hell...I haven't seen a sad movie as sad as Grave. At least none other that has had the same emotional impact.

My fav Ghibli is by far Howl's Moving Castle. Stoked to see Arrietty. My wife doesn't want to see it because "it's a Borrowers rip-off."

We totally need to get more Ghibli BluRays in the states. I would kill for Howl's, Spirited, and Totoro in HD.

It's not really a rip off, it's more of his adaptation of it. I'm sure we'll see some more Ghibli blu-rays in the future. I have a few of the R2 rips, and while they look clean, you can tell they are upscales.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Personally I have to say Spirited Away is my favourite Ghibli film followed closely with Princess Mononoke. Although I havent gotten to play Ni No Kuni yet as I dont own a ps3, I have been seriously debating getting one just for this game, anyone lese think it would be worth it?

Oh yeah, FUCKING LOVE GHIBLI by the way.

If you're a big Ghibli fan you'll probably love Ni no Kuni, especially the art/design, it's a great-looking, charming game. Ghibli fans will feel at home with the whole aesthetic. But if you aren't into RPGs/JRPGs/Turn-based RPGs/videogames in general, then I dunno, you might get frustrated, give up and not see it through. I am huge on RPGs and for me it didn't click til recently and it felt like 'grinding' for a bit. Basically the thing I didn't like was when you lose a battle, you can either keep your XP and pay 10% of your gold and continue, or you have to reload from a previous save. I would forget to save between events and find myself coughing up guilders a lot, or just getting frustrated and giving up. Then I went back a bit to grind by fighting easier enemies and now I'm doing pretty good.

To be fair to the game the reason it didn't click isn't the games fault: I was looking forward to this game so much, when it finally came out I was enamored immediately. I had a friend who also picked it up 1st day... he marathoned it and proceeded to spoiler some stuff for me. So that took the wind out of my sails and that's why I put it down and now I'm coming back to it half a year later.

With next gen around the corner, what one could probably do is pick up a copy of Ni no Kuni, you can prob find it now for $40, instead of the full $60 when it was new. Hold onto it, this is in case you can't find it down the line, this happens with some game and NnK seems like one that might be hard to track down later on. I'd wait til PS3s are at their lowest and grab that and a bunch of other good games.

If you are only going to play 1 game I don't know... maybe you can borrow a friends PS3? There's lots of other great games though, I would definitely recommend picking up the Team Ico collection (Ico/SotC) Nonetheless there are a ton of other great games, plus it plays CDs/DVDs/BluRays, online is free but who knows how much longer it will last, once PS4 is in full swing they'll probably shut down the servers so any games that require an 'always online' connection, will become obsolete. (I *think* Dragon's Age: Origins is like that)

So yeah I would say if you are going to enjoy even just a handful of games and use it to play blurays then I'd get one while there is still life left in it, or you should be able to pick one up pretty cheap anyway. For 1 game, I don't know, maybe. Then again I bought mine for 1 game that was in the pipeline and likely will never come to PS3 and will maybe end up on PS4 if we're lucky. If it does I'll probably buy a copy day 1, hang on to it, spring for a PS4 down the line when the price drops, or they do a slim, or larger hard-drive.

tl;dr - depends if you are an RPG/videogame fan at all. Regarding the plot/cutscenes, it's basically like watching movie at times, but its up to you to get the chars from plot point to plot point, so if that sounds like fun to you go for it and maybe pick up some other good games while you're at it. If you're a total RPG n00b then you might not ever get far enough into it to even enjoy the story.

Yeah NnK walks this weird line where the exposition makes it seem like its for children. Like how Drippy always tells you what you're supposed to do next. But the gameplay is worthy of any seasoned JRPG vet. That's why I say if you are not into RPGs, you can't just watch the cutscenes like a movie you actually have to play in between, so if you're not into doing that, you won't even be able to enjoy the story.

• 10 months later...

Visiting their museum next month, cannot be more excited!  http://www.ghibli-museum.jp/en/

I was there last december, i had the most amazing time, it was so much fun.

Only let down is that only children can play on the giant cat bus  -_-

Make sure you walk from Mitaka station instead of taking the bus, the walk is so picturesque 

I was there last december, i had the most amazing time, it was so much fun.

Only let down is that only children can play on the giant cat bus  -_-

Make sure you walk from Mitaka station instead of taking the bus, the walk is so picturesque 

Copied that suggestion into my notepad, thanks!  Bummer about not being able to go on the cat bus though!