PO: Against Me! Total Clarity up at FAT

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i mean considering that most large indie label releases are like $16-$20 for a single LP in stores these days how can you even bitch about it

$14 or $19 for a 2xLP are both reasonable prices. What is unreasonable is charging 5 bucks more simply for colored vinyl.

Even if colored vinyl costs more per unit to press?

Zing!

Wasn't trying to zing anyone, I was just asking.

That's a hell of a markup on a per-unit basis. Last I heard, cost was less than $1/unit for color (though prices may have gone up with vinyl in general costing more these days).

Bottom line is Fat is charging what the market will bear. Not very"punk rock" but very "what every business in the history of all time has done in order to stay sustainable."

fat raised the prices to deter flippers... because lord knows everyone jumps on every colored fat release to sell it on ebay... maybe this ensures more people who actually want the record get it

I don't see the logic here. If the record will sell for more than cost +s/h on eBay, a flipper will buy it, regardless of the cost.

I'll play devil's advocate and say that fewer fans will get it at this price because they have to raise more cash for the purchase and, if they don't have it, they'll have to wait for eBay prices.

I don't think that scenario is super likely, but remember that it's not dudes scraping together the scratch for one record who have the capital to "invest" in records to flip. Just a thought.

if they really did it to deter flippers, thats some poor logic as it does hurt the fans more.

most fat releases (with a few exceptions) don't really seem to sell for that much anyway.

LOL.

There are many records that are $100 +

Most fall in the $20-40 range.

the majority of color fat releases from the past couple years can be had for pretty close to 1-2x original price. i'm pretty sure most people who flip records don't hold on to things for years.

LOL.

There are many records that are $100 +

Most fall in the $20-40 range.

the majority of color fat releases from the past couple years can be had for pretty close to 1-2x original price. i'm pretty sure most people who flip records don't hold on to things for years.

You can get most of the releases for a fair price if you are a good buyer and have patience and know what to look for, but not everyone is and so flippers can make bank.

Random examples:

http://www.popsike.com/teenage-bottlerocket-LPnofxmisfitspunk-rock/280401680083.html

http://www.popsike.com/Banner-Pilot-Collapser-colored-vinyl-fat-nofx-oop/270621866106.html

http://www.popsike.com/LAWRENCE-ARMS-Buttsweat-and-Tears-7-Grey412-NOFX-OOP/200405479444.html

http://www.popsike.com/NONE-MORE-BLACK-Icons-BLUE-NOFX-Kid-Dynamite-Lifetime/120644623809.html

$14 or $19 for a 2xLP are both reasonable prices. What is unreasonable is charging 5 bucks more simply for colored vinyl.

Even if colored vinyl costs more per unit to press?

I have seen other labels charge 50 cents or $1 more for color vinyl. That I have less of a problem with because it is probably a better reflection of how much more it might cost to press.

fat raised the prices to deter flippers... because lord knows everyone jumps on every colored fat release to sell it on ebay... maybe this ensures more people who actually want the record get it

So you are okay with making everyone overpay in order to deter a couple of people from flipping it on ebay? I would say the fans certainly get the short end of the stick in this scenario.

off subject: my collapser record is much lighter colored than this one... the color of puke just depends on what you ate, I suppose

If they wanted to deter flippers, they'd press various colors in numbers that weren't so limited.

on subject: they could also just press black (but I'm glad they don't)

Guest markovianprocess

So you are okay with making everyone overpay in order to deter a couple of people from flipping it on ebay? I would say the fans certainly get the short end of the stick in this scenario.

I'm curious as to why you believe fans get the short end of the stick.

Being a fan ≠ having to buy the coloured vinyl.