Pale Beer (IPAs, Belgians, etc.)

.....because lots of good stuff doesn't qualify for the dark beer thread.

Aaaanyway, by local pub just got 2 kegs of Pliny the Elder. And since I got the new Bazan, The Books "Lost and Safe", and Castanets "First Lights Freeze" in the mail today, this is going to be a very good week.

Back to the the thread topic: Pliny the Elder, Blind Pig, Dogfish Head 90 Minute

What about you???

Pliny the Elder is good, but I think it's a little overhyped. I honestly felt like Hopslam was way better.

Still have yet to get my hands on any Pliny the Elder. Ohio doesn't always have the greatest distribution but we do get some pretty decent stuff.

I was all about the Hop Slam that was released in 2010 but when I tried a batch from 2011 it just didn't have quite the same hoppy intensity that I remembered. Luckily there has been an overabundance of Founder's Double Trouble which so far has been my top beer choice this year. I'm sure it won't be around for long so I try to pick some up whenever I see it.

We don't get Russian River here, so I unfortunately have yet to try Pliny. I agree with this years Hopslam. It wasn't as citrusy as in years past, and didn't have as strong a balance between bitter and flavor. Last years version was delicious. Arcadia's Hopmouth is also very good. And I have to add my favorite tasting beer, Dogfish Head's Olde School Barlywine.

So stoked, during my trip to ASM 15 I plan to head up to Russian River for a night... PLINY here I come!

Dude, not to shit on Pliny or anything, but I don't think it lives up to the hype. If you're there though (and dig sours at all) you HAVE to try to get your hands on Consecration, Damnation, or Supplication. Blind Pig is also badass if you're an IPA guy.

I have to add my favorite tasting beer, Dogfish Head's Olde School Barlywine.

Hear hear! Olde School is killer; I still wanna follow the directions on the label and bury one in the woods for a year haha.

Another great brew for everybody to check it is Stillwater Ales based out of different spots in Maryland. The dude is part of the whole "gypsy brewing" group going on nowadays, but he makes some killer Saisons.

[image]