Opinion on Variant Collectors.

3 of 1 record < 3 of 3 records

Faulty logic, fixed

ahaha nice! I have no problem with collectors, When it comes down to it I will buy bundle packs off sites :D

I guess that makes me a bundle whore more than a variant collector though :P I also use this to influence my 14 year old brother to start now rather than Yugioh cards :P

I understand if people are pissed off because the album is hard to get, but that's partly the label's fault in the first place. Otherwise, who cares what others do with their money? Even if you think it's dumb, they're only wasting their own money.

I only collect a few variants and for my fave bands. But I won't look down on others who do weird shit like collect 50 variants of Reinventing Axl Rose.

The real problem with buying records is flippers, especially when something is limited.

Personally, I find variant collector's collections to be boring. The last time I was at Double Decker, they must have recently bought some B9 variant collector's collection. It sucked having to flip through like 10 different variants of bands like Let Down or ON just to get to something different.

I would much rather see a collection with a lot of variety than every different color of RAR.

I personally don't see the need to have multiple copies of one album but I don't give a shit what anyone else does, so who the fuck cares? But what Kurtz said:

Personally, I find variant collector's collections to be boring...I would much rather see a collection with a lot of variety than every different color of RAR.

I agree with this. When I look at people's collections, if I see a crap ton of variants, I don't see much imagination there; I only see pre-ordering every copy of every variant available and then reordering when a new one gets pressed (and it's usually a band that I think is lame). I have a couple copies of some Converge albums but that was my choice. So for someone to tell me I'm a douche for doing it, that's just irrational. Do what you want.

I collect for rarity, so like someone said before, I want the rarest thing possible. Yet, I don't respect people who spend thousands of dollars on a single album because I have eventually seen most things that I desire at some point cheaper than some eBay auctioned that's hyped because Fat Wreck is letting go of test pressings. There's a medium and that's my opinion but with something so benign as record collecting, who cares?

I can go either way with this. I personally am not a variant collector. The only albums I have multiple copies of are The Chariot - Music Of A Grateful Heart (due to getting tour copies for people on here and being traded other presses for them) and of This Will Destroy You - Young Mountain (I bought the 6th press and the 7th press had my favorite color so I caved and bought it). Otherwise I don't really see the point in having more than one copy of a record unless it's an album that you REALLY REALLY ABSOLUTELY love. To each his own when it comes to what you want to blow your money on and how frivolously you do it but as others have said, when it comes to it making it harder for people that want just ONE copy of it to listen to and can't get it because A: all are bought and B: ebay prices skyrocket due to demand and rarity then that's a little asinine.

I think you should have to prove your dedication in order to get the rarest color. I don't get this "rarity collector" bullshit. I understand everyone has to start somewhere, but if you don't have every color already, why do you need a rare copy now?

cause im a dick i guess... haha. i dont know.

why not buy a record limited to 100 for the same price as the one limited to 400. just makes sense to me. but like i said, im a dick.

I don't get this "rarity collector" bullshit. I understand everyone has to start somewhere, but if you don't have every color already, why do you need a rare copy now?

this is just making me try to think of "what are the different types of record collectors?"

-the "I don't care, I just want it on vinyl" collector (perhaps the "economist", because they'd probably just buy the cheapest option...?)

-the audiophile (e.g., 180 gram trumps color/rarity)

-the "artwork matcher"

-the rarity collector

-the "one to listen to, one to look pretty" collector

-the completest

-the flipper

I'm not claiming that this is an exhaustive list (and obviously just because you have every variant of RAR doesn't mean you have every variant of every other record, but you get the idea), but these seem like the big ones, right?

also, I tried to rank these in an order such that each level understands the rationale behind the collectors higher up on the list and thinks the people below them are progressively bigger assholes. for instance, an audiophile shouldn't get pissed if everyone bought the 180 gram version if it was the cheapest, but if people are buying it because it's rare--only to have it sit on the shelf--look out. and completests should probably be accepting of everyone, since they want things to be cheap, will only listen to the best sounding one, and plan to have both the rarest and best matching records sitting on their shelves (never to be played, obviously). oh, and everyone hates flippers (except other flippers), and they should like everyone else because if those other collectors didn't exist, then neither would the flippers.

and for what it's worth, I think I fall into the "one to listen to, one to look pretty" category, since I try to have a black and a color copy of most of favorite records

is it obvious that I didn't want to do my homework tonight? sigh...