Opinion on Variant Collectors.

I'm sure I'll get a crap ton of negative karma for this thread...

But I just blasted someone in another thread:

http://vinylcollective.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=61769

who straight up told some dude who he outbid on ebay that he "wants all three" of certain variant when the other dude basically just said he would have like to just OWN the record...

Do variant collectors realize what they are doing or do they just not give a shit?

Let's say some record is coming out that a bunch of people want and 300 get pressed. 100 blue. 100 red. and 100 black.

Jim This-Is-An-Awesome-Record wants one.

but Johnny Gotta-Have-Em-All gets 1 of each. So do 30 other Gotta-Have-Em-Alls. So that means that almost a whole third of the pressing is now gone because you had to have 3 copies of a record...when you are only ever gonna listen to 1! If that!

I see the point, maybe, if it's for your favorite band, but i know quite a few collectors who do this with almost every record they own.

And it sucks for the rest of who just want one...

because guess what...

it's a RECORD. it's for LISTENING...

So I wanna hear some other opinions on this...maybe it'll change my opinion...

if people wanna spend money on all those, that's their thing, but yeah if it causes a release that's limited to begin with to sell out quicker like you mention...that's when it pisses me off. like people with the repress of the the Coheed album or something of the like. I personally don't see the enjoyment in owning all variations of one record...I find the one I like the most and try to acquire that. I've held out on a couple different Alkaline Trio records until I found the variant I want, but i feel no need to own like 10 different colors of Goddamnit since I will only ever listen to one.

I don't do it for every release I buy, and I think that does get ridiculous, personally. I was going to mention that, but honestly, I don't think it matters--everyone has his own right to buy whatever he wants. If he wants all 300 copies, shit, good luck. And with this I want it b/c the cover art is different--it's practically three different releases/pressings. If the record was just three different colors, I wouldn't care.

I'm sure I'll get a crap ton of negative karma for this thread...

But I just blasted someone in another thread:

http://vinylcollective.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=61769

who straight up told some dude who he outbid on ebay that he "wants all three" of certain variant when the other dude basically just said he would have like to just OWN the record...

Do variant collectors realize what they are doing or do they just not give a shit?

Let's say some record is coming out that a bunch of people want and 300 get pressed. 100 blue. 100 red. and 100 black.

Jim This-Is-An-Awesome-Record wants one.

but Johnny Gotta-Have-Em-All gets 1 of each. So do 30 other Gotta-Have-Em-Alls. So that means that almost a whole third of the pressing is now gone because you had to have 3 copies of a record...when you are only ever gonna listen to 1! If that!

I see the point, maybe, if it's for your favorite band, but i know quite a few collectors who do this with almost every record they own.

And it sucks for the rest of who just want one...

because guess what...

it's a RECORD. it's for LISTENING...

So I wanna hear some other opinions on this...maybe it'll change my opinion...

I understand the anger that variant collecting inspires. I have about 20 to 30 titles that I have at least 2 copies of due to variant color collecting and there are very few that I have somewhere in the ballpark of 10 copies of. The only one I can think of like that is Oceanic.

I also feel like if people want something and they have the money and the means, then why not? At the same time, I feel that there is a culture of usurpation inspired by avarice that does create an air of negativity regardless of the fact that a legal exchange of currency for product is made. There is a sense of responsibility when dealing with the vinyl culture and the nature of a release's limitation.

So I really see both sides and I'm trying to sell some of my Oceanic variants for at least what I paid but that is proving difficult.

Either way, +1 to the original poster for having the balls to express this kind of dissent EVEN THOUGH its been argued before. I don't see the harm in a new thread.

do you blame the label for enabling variant collectors?

This. Who says a record has to stay out of print? More labels should do a limited collectors run on color and then press everything thereafter on black so it's readily available. Then everyone can be happy and this thread doesn't get made every few weeks.

This. Who says a record has to stay out of print? More labels should do a limited collectors run on color and then press everything thereafter on black so it's readily available. Then everyone can be happy and this thread doesn't get made every few weeks.

Which is the approach that Deathwish has started to take with Converge records.

I will never understand why people care so much about what other people do with their money...

If you like it buy it, it you dont, then dont. If you miss out, dont blame it on some dude who liked the band/label enough to support them and buy more than 1 copy for whatever reason. Chances are if you are really interested in getting a copy and not caring too much about color or rarity, you'll find one, that is one of the beauties of record collecting. Get off the computer and hit up some physical stores. I found alot of my most prized pieces in random Used bins.

Plus with your logic of "300" and blaming a dude that buys 3 variants. Why not just blame everyone because you are more entitled to it? Not trying to be an ass. Just making a point.

Then theres the "trader/Flipper" that you were talking about. Some people dont like to download a leaked record and buy the record upon the hope they will like it based on "buzz" or passed purchases. It happens sometimes that they are really not feeling it. And it just so happens that we are in an awesome society where we can trade/or sell it. My point is that you dont have to be the #1 fan of a band just to buy it. some people are curious and some people are caught in a moment. and some people are just wanting to make a quick buck. Either way im just happy people are buying Vinyl and Supporting labels.

I certainly do, but I can't really blame labels for wanting to capitalize on variant collectors. If they can sell more copies by pressing five colors that are limited to 100 each than by having a single color press limited to 500, why not?

Personally I see no need for multiple copies of the same album. I have two albums on both vinyl and CD but that's because I got the CD first and then found the vinyl for a really good price.

so i'm going to get my copy of here, hear, right? : )

i feel obligated to comment since this started partially with me i guess. honestly i wasn't mad at brandnew, i was just mad that i lost the record. it does kind of suck, but i mean we're all here for the same reason (i think) - to collect records. however someone wants to go about that is their business and fine with me. if you're that into a band that you want all the colors and versions and whatever then i don't blame you. i mean, hell, i have ...to the beat of a dead horse in a regular version and rsd version, so who am i to say anything. i can't be too mad at anyone because i understand the desire and point of record collecting.

Which is the approach that Deathwish has started to take with Converge records.

and why they are my favorite right now.