introduce a record you like

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[image]

v/a Candybars 60 sec. de lavantgarde

This is a double 7" from Germany that has 28 60 second tracks. The music is mostly indie-pop sound, but I don't know much about genres. I bought it for my CUB collection, but was impressed with most of the music.

The 60 second limit creates the perfect ambiance as the tone arm glides from track to track.

Great international selection of artists from around the globe.

[image]

That 2x7" sounds really cool, I'll have to check it out.

I cannot push El Ten Eleven onto people more. Bass/guitar double-neck and drums duo, plenty of loops. Their albums go from Tortoise-esque post-rock to dance to pop. I seriously can't get enough of this band. They've played shows with Dosh, Baths, and (were supposed to play with?) Tera Melos. Totally sick.

Some videos:

[image]

13 & God - Own Your Ghost

I cannot say enough great things about this sophomore release. My only complaint is that I wish it were a track or two longer. Its German indie Rock band The Notwist and American Hip Hop group Themselves which features perhaps the most brilliant and exquisitely talented MC in the history of everything, Doseone. An obsession with Death and mortality in general. The music is....I don't fuckin' know. Its Hip Hop and "Indie" Rock at varying degrees throughout every track. Some are heavier handed in one than the other and sometimes they're 50/50 but most of the time, you can't even see the line between the two. It doesn't matter. This release kills.

I'm waiting for my LP pre-order but I'm probably gonna run to Reckless this weekend and snatch a copy just to have it already. I've been rocking an illegal download for a couple weeks but I'm dying to get this on my table or CD player. Any physical format will do.

[image]

ZZZZ - Palm Reader.

may not be TOO far off the radar, ( i know we got some polyvinyl fans here ), but it's a damn good record. i read some of these guys are from sweep the leg johnny, who were pretty rad.

they kinda sound like world inferno friendship society, but i don't think they're quite as happy.

[image]

kinda like, jazzy jesus lizard?

these guys opened for glass teeth and CBGBs.

a friend of mine picked this up for me at the show, because i had to work that night.

i don't know anything about them except for this release.

it has a black labeled a side, and a white labeled b side.

his copy has a yellow labeled a side and a green labeled b side.

there are other colors as well, all on black vinyl, all the same 2 songs.

can't find ANY info about them on the net.

but i can say that it the songs on it are pretty rad, and worth a listen to anyone who likes punk, hardcore, jazz, or a decent combination of the three.

http://www.mediafire.com/?srwbsnhej0c1yzk

thurrrr ya go!

there are no song titles on the sleeve, and the only thing etched in the run off grooves is 2KEYS - 003 - A and 2KEYS - 003 - B.

so the mp3s are titled by what side they are.

boring i know, but interesting music.

also i just downloaded this onto my pc, and it seemed to have tagged it after mi ladys macbook, so some retaggin' may be in order.

that video made me miss dallas.

beautiful song.

will indeed check them out more.

are they from texas, or was the video just shot there?

here's another.

i seem to have a lot to offer to this thread.

[image]

Bombs and Beating Hearts - Wish You Were Here

the sleeve is hand screened on cardboard pulled from a dumpster behind a local supermarket.

here's the story:

these boys are from Salt Late City.

bike riding, dumpster diving, acoustic guitar pickin' punk kids.

if anyone's familiarwith the BOING! house in slc, they probably already know who these kids are.

i made friends with these guys about 5 years ago when i was running my small cd only label Warner Sisters.

they became pretty close to some of the bands i worked with.

i booked a big Warner Sisters 4th of July bash (2006 i believe?) and they drove all the way out just to play it.

[image]

they club almost didn't let them play because some members were under age, so they had to leave after their set. they also refused to use the PA equipment, and played their set on the floor infront of the stage.

about a year later a local SLC filmmaker made a documentary about them.

if you got 12 minutes, it's 12 minutes well spent.

i'm willing to rip this too, if anyone's interested.

We Were Skeletons

So I saw this guys at a small venue in Fort Worth. Not many people there that night if I recall correctly. Regardless of the amount of people there, these guys played with so much energy. I think their set up is what intrigued me the most. The guitarist and bassist both do vocals but instead of facing the audience they were turned towards each other scream their lungs out in each others faces. Loved it and this albums is really good as well. Glad I got it.

I need to get that new(er) 13 & God!

the ZZZZ record seems to always be super cheap from Polyvinyl too, it's $10 right now. members of Sweep The Leg Johnny and Swing Kids :P

http://www.polyvinylrecords.com/store/index.php?id=86

What you talkin' 'bout, newer? The first one is from '05! haha.

Anyway, I just picked up a copy from Reckless today and its fucking amazing. Sounds gorgeous. All lyrics included. Bi-winning.

We Were Skeletons

So I saw this guys at a small venue in Fort Worth. Not many people there that night if I recall correctly. Regardless of the amount of people there, these guys played with so much energy. I think their set up is what intrigued me the most. The guitarist and bassist both do vocals but instead of facing the audience they were turned towards each other scream their lungs out in each others faces. Loved it and this albums is really good as well. Glad I got it.

A band of guys I know, Speak Daggers, do the same thing for vocals.