introduce a record you like

What you talkin' 'bout, newer? The first one is from '05! haha.

Anyway, I just picked up a copy from Reckless today and its fucking amazing. Sounds gorgeous. All lyrics included. Bi-winning.

schyeah. 2011. new(ish) may have worked better. came out in May, it's already ancient :P

haha Goddamn. Seriously, though. If you have not yet heard thing thing, hear it. It is sick. Perhaps one of the top 3 Dose releases ever. I mean it.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So these are not on vinyl yet, but hopefully will be on the near future. Also, please tell me your opinions and whether you would be interested in owning them.

1. Bridge To Solace - of bitterness and hope , Hungary's finest melodic hardcore featuring spoken words of Greg Bennick (TRIAL).

2. Thy Catafalque - Tûnõ Idõ Tárlat, great atmospherical progressive black metal.

ZZZZ - Palm Reader.

may not be TOO far off the radar, ( i know we got some polyvinyl fans here ), but it's a damn good record. i read some of these guys are from sweep the leg johnny, who were pretty rad.

they kinda sound like world inferno friendship society, but i don't think they're quite as happy.

I really wish I'd quit getting free copies of this with my orders! Haha, I've probably got 4 or 5 of this on CD.

LOTS AND LOTS OF LOCAL SHIT! (figgured i would stuff them all into one post and get it over with)

[image]

[image]

so here we have the Johnny O & The Jerks / The Vultures split.

two st.louis punkabilly bands, one original song from each, and one track of each band covering each other.

this is the only vinyl release Big Muddy ever put out. i'm not sure of the exact pressing info.

i DO know that both bands have broken up now, and Big Muddy is no more.

and while we're on the subject of local vinyl:

[image]

Bunnygrunt - Karen Haters Club 10".

fuckin' twee and shit.

like josie and the pussycats with a dude on vocals.

we'll a dude and a chick, they take turns.

but they are a lot of fun, they make some cute tunes, and their bass is thumpin'!

the artwork is hand made, and exclusive to the 10".

the CD has a totally different cover, and two extra tracks, which are really just audio sketches, so i don't really miss them being left off the 10".

and yeah, since i got carried away about local vinyl:

[image]

vivaaaaaa saint louis!

"Cake Walk - 7 Inch Record"

energetic pop punk from an alleged "supergroup" of guys from old bands i don't know.

i think theres like 8 songs crammed on this little thing.

it's hand screened on an inside out fedex envelope.

"Glass Teeth - Jacob Saved Them All"

these guys like crucifucks, and jesus lizard, and..keyboards.

two songs that aren't very good from a band that is amazing to see live.

this record came warped so bad it makes my needle jump, a friend of mine has another copy with a bubble in the middle of the record. pretty sure the box of 7"s LIVES in their van, which would explain that.

"Sex Robots / Bunnygrunt split"

not bad, not great.

sex robots are awesome! they play pop punk.

bunnygrunt are cute! they sometimes play pop punk.

but both of them definitely play guitars and drums and shit, and record themselves doing so, and press it on multiple colours, and i only picked up one. same time i got the Karen Haters Club 10".

Union Electric - s/t 7".

their debut, they've put out two more 7"s since this.

it's folk punk, with an emphasis on the folk.

not bad. i saw them open up for dax riggs.

they kinda suck live, so these recordings are pretty enjoyable in comparison.

"The Star Death - Feministica"

HEY GUYS, IT"S AVANT GARDE CHICK PUNK!!!

if ani difranco sang for slater kenny, it would kinda sound like this.

the music is rad, experimenting with different time signatures and dissonant chords.

very angry, very mathmatic, and surprisingly rad.

but i'd be lying if their singer didn't desperatly want to sing like Ani.

as if her righteous babe tattoo wasn't at all a dead give away.

ok sorry, i promise i won't do that again, but it kinda made sense.

if anyone wants a rip of any of the 7"s just ask.

if you want karen haters club, you can probably find it on soulseek.

We Were Skeletons

So I saw this guys at a small venue in Fort Worth. Not many people there that night if I recall correctly. Regardless of the amount of people there, these guys played with so much energy. I think their set up is what intrigued me the most. The guitarist and bassist both do vocals but instead of facing the audience they were turned towards each other scream their lungs out in each others faces. Loved it and this albums is really good as well. Glad I got it.

A band of guys I know, Speak Daggers, do the same thing for vocals.

Gonna check them out then. Really like that technique a lot.

fuck yeah on the STL stuff. i could do a similar post for KC, but i will just start with this:

[image]

favorite band in KC at the moment. record release show for the above 12" was about six weeks ago. if you are at all familiar with the revolvers, this is the closest thing (in sound) that the members have been a part of since the split. melodic punk, powerpop. whatever. sounds like summer.

stream: http://hipshotkiller.bandcamp.com/

var ads = new Array("300x250-1.png","300x250-2.png","300x250-3.png");

var num = Math.floor(Math.random()*ads.length);

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

{

document.write('+':xpmcg7ea]ProBoards Free Forums');

else

document.write('+':xpmcg7ea]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');

}

ProBoards Free Forums

var ads = new Array("300x250-1.png","300x250-2.png","300x250-3.png");

var num = Math.floor(Math.random()*ads.length);

{

document.write('+':drr6bcck]ProBoards Free Forums');

else

document.write('+':drr6bcck]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');

}

ProBoards Free Forums

to answer an earlier question, TRUE WIDOW are from Dallas.

I don't understand why people aren't flipping out over them - its the perfect mixture of MY BLOODY VALENTINE, Texas, LOW and maybe LUNGFISH or CODEINE. Heavy, slow and pure bliss.

Maybe I'm weird, but I just don't understand buying multiple varients of the same record when you could spend that money on something new and mind blowing. I GUESS I'M OLD.

I don't know if anyone will be into them but A Perfect Kiss was an amazing band that I got the privlege of playing with a few times

Really ambient, hardcore is the best way to describe it. Their album The Olympians is out of print, but it is probably one of the best albums I own....

If you like their stuff you can download it from Itunes here: http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-olympians/id430894279 for like 10 bucks...but if you hate I tunes...i'm sure there is a mediafire link out there somewhere

[image]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDD4KtznnZ8&hl=en&fs=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU9iCO8P9zA&hl=en&fs=1

Justin Lloyd (singer/guitarist) is one of the greatest dudes ever. He is really into Noise stuff now...that I respect creatively, but can't really get into...check his newer stuff out at www.hellorainbowbridge.com...he is probably one of the most creative people I have ever met...check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VqMh2ckyAg&hl=en&fs=1

Also he has an acoustic side project called The Human Excuse that is pretty amazing...I think he still has cds available for it as well at his label

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y0GVwf8pV4&hl=en&fs=1

the best thing that ever came out of me being in my shitty band was getting into these guys

Hope you all enjoy!!

OK, let me also talk about some more great bands that no one gives a shit about. I will post more when I'm not at work.

P.E.E. - from SF - one of the best pop bands ever. Good luck finding their vinyl.

REX - older Brooklyn band. Part slowcore new country. On Southern. Their album "C", never released on vinyl, is a fucking masterpiece and one of my favorite records. Think late night Bourbon.

REIN SANCTION. Old Sub Pop band who probably worshipped Dinosaur Jr's BUG.

• 2 months later...

[image]

Kids On A Crime Spree

This was my introduction to indy/noise/pop music. I don't give a crap about genres. Honestly, I was underwhelmed the first 2 times I heard it, but I gave it a 3rd try and it started to grow on me. Great fuzzy bubblegum pop.

Have a listen:

http://snd.sc/jBdYF4

Buy it here:

http://www.slumberlandrecords.com/catalog/show/176

[image]

ZZZZ - Palm Reader.

may not be TOO far off the radar, ( i know we got some polyvinyl fans here ), but it's a damn good record. i read some of these guys are from sweep the leg johnny, who were pretty rad.

they kinda sound like world inferno friendship society, but i don't think they're quite as happy.

yes, it was Steve, the singer/sax player from STLJ and John Brady, who was in Sweep from Sto Cazzo! forward, he also was in Swing Kids and Spanakorzo.

^will check ZZZZ out. Sweep were good live, the post-Sweep band Check Engine had a KILLER album, and World/Inferno's sound -although copied to death by lameasses- is worth taking influence from.

ZZZZ kind of came at things from a different direction entirely, but are/were a great band. Their drummer Greg was in Chin Up Chin Up as well.

Steve was in a band called the Early Risers as well, but i'm not sure if they ever produced more than a demo CDr.

here's another.

i seem to have a lot to offer to this thread.

[image]

Bombs and Beating Hearts - Wish You Were Here

the sleeve is hand screened on cardboard pulled from a dumpster behind a local supermarket.

here's the story:

these boys are from Salt Late City.

bike riding, dumpster diving, acoustic guitar pickin' punk kids.

if anyone's familiarwith the BOING! house in slc, they probably already know who these kids are.

i made friends with these guys about 5 years ago when i was running my small cd only label Warner Sisters.

they became pretty close to some of the bands i worked with.

i booked a big Warner Sisters 4th of July bash (2006 i believe?) and they drove all the way out just to play it.

[image]

they club almost didn't let them play because some members were under age, so they had to leave after their set. they also refused to use the PA equipment, and played their set on the floor infront of the stage.

about a year later a local SLC filmmaker made a documentary about them.

if you got 12 minutes, it's 12 minutes well spent.

i'm willing to rip this too, if anyone's interested.

I'm interested in a rip to check it out :)

[image]

Wafflehouse* - "Olympia".

killer album from these Michigan dudes (including the rhythm section of Rescue), the whole thing manages to throw the best parts of ATDI, early Coheed, & Cap'n Jazz together without being terribly derivative of any of 'em. falling-apart-at-the-seams pop perfection.

the cd came out like a decade ago, luckily Justin (ForgeAgain) also thinks it's aged well, as he did a small run of 112 LPs a couple years back. somehow he STILL HAS COPIES available.

=D

this local band Pretend. they're so good i have no clue why they aren't more well known. post rockish goodness... sort of jazzed out eits with a dash of american football. this album came out a few years ago, safe to say I still listen to it. and they kill it live. album is "bones in the soil, rust in the oil". all 1.2 hours of it are fantastic.

[image]

Wafflehouse* - "Olympia".

killer album from these Michigan dudes (including the rhythm section of Rescue), the whole thing manages to throw the best parts of ATDI, early Coheed, & Cap'n Jazz together without being terribly derivative of any of 'em. falling-apart-at-the-seams pop perfection.

the cd came out like a decade ago, luckily Justin (ForgeAgain) also thinks it's aged well, as he did a small run of 112 LPs a couple years back. somehow he STILL HAS COPIES available.

=D

Haha, fuck yeah! It actually got remastered a bit for the LP too. Sounds great. I think if they eventually play a show we'll be able to unload what's left of this record, but there are definitely copies left....

[image]

Death Hymn Number 9 - Smokestack Frightening

think -'50s surf rock-meets-'60s Detroit garage . . . as played by zombies.

Album streaming here:

http://deathhymnnumber9.bandcamp.com/album/smokestack-frightening

and you can buy it here:

http://bennettrecords.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/2222358

I seriously love compilations - one of my hugest weak spots comes in anything garage rock based and this bootlegged LP of an early 80's radio show with Lux Interior from The Cramps DJing is at the top of the list. It has everything from the more demented b-sides of The Trashmen and The Frantics to the lunatic ravings of rockabilly obscurity Hasil Adkins and everything else in between. This thing has so much amazing 50's trash on it, you'd be shocked that such a usually conservative (by most views) decade had so much crazy stuff going on musically.

There are numerous torrents of it floating around - I'd link one but I'm not sure the protocol on torrents on this board (though the record is long out of print and fairly hard to find).