Overdue Collection Agency NEEDS HELP

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread caught my interest. I don't understand why with the records and jackets in hand he needs $4000 more. And who cares about band interviews when you should be scamming Kinkos like everyone else did at some point to get the inserts done on the dirt cheap and ship these things.

And why is there a surprise that sales have dried up? You just posted a story about how you've blown 15k and can't finish the release.

If the guy has 2200 records and jackets in his possession for any of the records my guess is he has to have one complete set by now minus getting the liner notes being printed...which shouldn't be a huge cost, He should freaking start sending them out. I think that would get people to actually buy it. I've been on the fence about this project since the start I do enjoy the Ep and Ribbons and Sugar and would buy those albums. But I'm not getting wrapped up into yet another pre-order which wont ship for months and months. If he wants income for the records he needs to put one of them out now, and then release the next one. This guy is an idiot.

Ok so i know printing on recycled cardstock is expensive, as are gatefold jackets and matte finish printing. even with 2200 records & jackets this really shouldn't have cost him more than around $9,000-$10,000 at the very most. and even that seems like a way higher number than it should be. Seems like the dude is just way in over his head, i feel bad but he really should have just finished one at a time and then kept going. seems like it would've worked out better for him.

this seems super shady...glad i passed on these releases, also the band themselves dont own the rights to these which is prob part of the issue he is having. I spoke to their old label owner about this and some of the old "acceptance" eps from before militia group and mentioned this when he said they put out the Gatsby ep's and he had no idea what I was talking about(that was a month or two ago)

I understand the mentality, but it still blows my mind why any new label at all starts with some massive undertaking, paying expensive licencing fees etc. dude could have saved up 800 bucks or so, put out a good 7" by a good band, and start to establish himself slowly.

People like this completely ruin the whole point of having a label. These type things go on every single day now it seems, people without a single clue on how to do anything related to music/marketing, and even a very very basic understanding of how to not completely lose your ass. The money this thing is costing this guy could buy him a sweet ass new car!, Or a fairly decent down payment on a house.

This stuff is almost comical. I wish people would donate 20,000 to me, I could crank out a good 12 or so releases.

In case you still feel bad for him read this:

http://poisonrational.tumblr.com/post/7606861890/please-read

His women crying about it on her tumblr. This is Pathetic folks.

"Where the music industry itself has failed Mike, it’s up to his friends like you and me to support him and help spread the word."

Maybe the "music industry" recognized that this was an unorganized project and decided not to get dragged down with it. As was mentioned above, pre-orders have dried up because everything is up in the air. Crying on Tumblr about the amount of money being poured into this isn't making anyone feel sorry for them. It's just sad and pathetic. I hope they figure things out - at the very least to get their personal lives organized. Jaysus.

I am so confused. There are pictures of the vinyl and he said he has the jackets in...... what is missing to finish the project? And why wouldnt a label just approach someone like us to buy some copies?

He sent out 100 press kits didn't you read. The music industry has just failed him that is all.

can someone C&P this into the thread? no tumblr at work

I’m going to start off with a rant. I apologize in advance. I promise there’s a point.

I’m tired of Mike and I working our asses off and getting little to no support because people either (a) assume we’re more popular than we are, or (B) are big-shots and would rather watch us fail than give advice.

There’s a handful of you who will always support me and repost when I ask. (Literally, there’s about five people who will always repost when I ask. And I will always hold a special place in my heart for you.) But Mike has gotten nothing but trolls & radio silence about his record label.

He emailed countless labels about interest in a non-profit record label or advice for promotion long before he started the Overdue Collection Agency. He filed paperwork with the state long before he went public. He started saving money and cataloging his collections to sell long before he started the Kickstarter. He took the steps necessary to save for this project.

He worked two full time jobs while he finished up his senior year of college in order to pay bills and save for his company. He sent out over 100 press releases once the project was launched.

With the exception of about 200 pre-orders, he was met with radio silence throughout all of this. No one reblogged his posts but me. No one re-posted my posts. One news site posted his press release.

It’s extremely frustrating to watch him put so much time and money into a great concept, and have people simply disregard it. You wouldn’t know it from this post, but I can’t find words to accurately express how furious I am with the record (label) industry right now. (*The companies that have pressed the albums and artwork have been very kind.)

In the comic industry, we do our best to support each other. I can’t count the times that my friends have come to my aid. We give advice to up-and-comers and befriend each other. Apparently record labels just ignore the new guys and shit-talk them in forums when they fall short. I just can’t comprehend it. Very classy there, guys.

Plus, this venture affects my life too. Mike has poured nearly $10,000 into this company that could have gone to our cross-country move, our general livelihood so we weren’t scraping the bottom of our accounts each month, my upcoming $16,000 tuition for my Masters… so on and so forth.

But he had this drive to create a truly inspiring record label. A way to support other artists and give back to people that need help more than we do…

…and people already situated within the industry are just all “eh, fuck that guy. Ignore his emails and act like he’s a joke,” without considering the labels cause or the fact that it’s HIS LIFE that he’s sold and put into this. That the whole premise behind the company is philanthropy and helping others.

Peer support within an industry is crucial for a start up company.

And the Overdue Collection Agency hasn’t had any.

Mike is $4,000 away from completing the final pieces of these two releases and he’s out of savings. Pre-orders have come to a standstill.

Where the music industry itself has failed Mike, it’s up to his friends like you and me to support him and help spread the word.

I know money is tight. Trust me, I know. I don’t expect anyone to order anything. But a simple post or re-Tumbl could go a long way.

If you love music, art, vinyl, charities, and clean drinking water: please give a shout out to the Overdue Collection Agency on your Tumblr, Blogger, Facebook, Livejournal, Twitter, whatever — all the social networking tools you have.

This is a company for a good cause, and they’re having trouble getting on their feet. I’m sure there are more efficient, less costly ways to get albums done in the future; but Mike won’t be able to find those opportunities unless he can get through these first releases.

Please, please tell your friends about his wonderful label for charity. You’d be doing Mike a solid, helping ease my mind, and giving back by supporting Water.org.

Thanks <3

LOL LOL LOL LOL... did I mention LOL. If he spent 4k to license, remaster, etc., where is the remaining 15k going? How much is it to press a thousand LPs (x2)? Also, why is he worried about postage costs? Its not like he sold tons of these. He'll be moving hundreds & hundreds cross country or donating them to the Goodwill. SUX2BU.

can someone C&P this into the thread? no tumblr at work

EDIT: already done

EDIT EDIT: Why would you want people to reblog this? So the whole e-world know your man is a failure?