Pressings to avoid

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Go-Go's "Beauty and the Beat" 30th anniversary reissue on pink vinyl. This thing sounds awful. The highs are all blown out and clearly it was mastered from a CD that was mastered too hot with blown out highs and clipping all over the place.

BTW great thread idea!

As for the Albini/regular mixes of In Utero, playing "heart shaped box" back to back between the two you can clearly hear the difference. The rest of the album has a different, rawer sound with great drums and a thick sound. Less polished but a bit more punch. It's cool to have both actually.

I have a OG First Press of In Utero and The Albini mix and i can say that listening to the Albini mix after so many years of hearing the regular version was so different it felt like i was listening to it for the first time again.

That's totally how it was for me too the first time I heard it (albini mix) which was only a few years ago.

I can appreciate the purpose of this thread, but with all the variables involved in playing a record, people's experience may be drastically different from each other. So, in most cases anything stated should be considered but also acknowledged as opinion and not fact. Everyone has different playback equipment and standards of quality.

Ever buy a record, think it doesn't sound right, buy an older pressing and feel ripped off?

Here's a thread to help people save money on future purchases by avoiding records that were meant to be CDs....

Rhino Ramones reissues.

I didn't know new ones came out.

Are you talking about the recent 180 gram Ramones pressings that just came out, or the $10 ones from a few years back that were sourced from cd? I just ordered all 4 new ones yesterday and will be bummed they don't sound good, as they were marketed as being pressed and mastered straight from the tapes. If these new ones are the ones you are referring to, could you elaborate on the issues with them?

Are you talking about the recent 180 gram Ramones pressings that just came out, or the $10 ones from a few years back that were sourced from cd? I just ordered all 4 new ones yesterday and will be bummed they don't sound good, as they were marketed as being pressed and mastered straight from the tapes. If these new ones are the ones you are referring to, could you elaborate on the issues with them?

I have End of the Century on the 180 gram repress and the only thing that sounds bad to me is Phil Spector's production.

I have the red version. It sounds awful. My 180kb mp3s I made from the cd sound way better. But I don't have another version to reference it by.

http://search.hottopic.com/search?p=Q&lb....core&tab=music

Yeah, these ones just came out, strangely Rhino's site says they don't come out until 8/8. Stoked that those weren't the ones you were talking about...

I linked HT because that's where I got them from. $15.99 - 15% with coupon is about $13.50 per record, which is pretty awesome for brand new 180g pressings. These are $26 from Rhino's site (you get an extra 7 inch from there too)...

Bad Religion - Stranger Than Fiction on Rhino (red vinyl).

Version to find: white vinyl, sounds rich.

I heard that the Rhino reissue was sourced from the original masters though so I'm not sure if it would make a huge difference. Could just be the pressing plant they used?

I think the main difference between digital and analog can be heard in the drums. On CDs and digitally remastered vinyl, the drums sound 2-dimensional, muffled. On analog vinyl, drums sound 3-dimensional. If you have both versions of this LP, listen to the tom-toms.

Copeland - "You Are My Sunshine"

Sounds weird. I just mentioned this in another thread but the tone sounds off at points. I don't know what plant pressed these but I found this album to be cheap and have some particularly annoying flaws.

mine sounds great.

Ironic, because when you said "Beneath Medicine Trees" I thought that was weird because my copy is perfect.

I can appreciate the purpose of this thread, but with all the variables involved in playing a record, people's experience may be drastically different from each other. So, in most cases anything stated should be considered but also acknowledged as opinion and not fact. Everyone has different playback equipment and standards of quality.

A good point.

I can only make comments when I have found a better pressing to compare it to. I have two record players, a cheap one and a nice one. I don't want to hurt businesses, so I am careful before tarnishing a records reputation here.

However, buying a shitty product sucks.

http://search.hottopic.com/search?p=Q&lb....core&tab=music

Yeah, these ones just came out, strangely Rhino's site says they don't come out until 8/8. Stoked that those weren't the ones you were talking about...

I linked HT because that's where I got them from. $15.99 - 15% with coupon is about $13.50 per record, which is pretty awesome for brand new 180g pressings. These are $26 from Rhino's site (you get an extra 7 inch from there too)...

the pre-orders from Rhino are delayed because the 7"s got delayed. these are available instores already.

i got test presses of Ramones, Leave Home and Rocket to Russia and all three sound really good.

The Queers - Love Songs for the Retarded on grey vinyl from Recess.

I bought a copy, new, and the A-side was misaligned. I bought another copy on grey and it has the same problem.

I talked to a Queers collector who bought 3 copies trying to get a good one and all had misaligned A-sides.

Off center pressings are certainly one of the major caveats of vinyl. Unfortunately, I see it fairly often in modern pressings. Sometimes its not very noticeable, sometimes it ruins the whole experience.

The Queers - Love Songs for the Retarded on grey vinyl from Recess.

I bought a copy, new, and the A-side was misaligned. I bought another copy on grey and it has the same problem.

I talked to a Queers collector who bought 3 copies trying to get a good one and all had misaligned A-sides.

Off center pressings are certainly one of the major caveats of vinyl. Unfortunately, I see it fairly often in modern pressings. Sometimes its not very noticeable, sometimes it ruins the whole experience.

My MTX Revenge is Sweet is off-centered.

I also have two copies of Go Sailor Long Distance on red with an off-centered b-side.

Deerhoof "Milk Man" LP repress by Polyvinyl on strawberry. pretty assy sounding. lots of static and popping.

Eksi Ekso "Brown Shark, Red Lion" 2xLP on red/brown. i know it can't only be my copy but it pops like crazy. ever since they switched from Pirates Press to whatever pressing plant, each pressing is on this garbage mixed vinyl that has tons of pops. not thrilled with MS this year for pressings. :(

Beware Of Safety "dogs" 2xLP (opaque yellow) is pretty ridden with surface noise. Pirates Press record. opaque colors from them usually always sound terrible though.

Deerhoof "Milk Man" LP repress by Polyvinyl on strawberry. pretty assy sounding. lots of static and popping.

Eksi Ekso "Brown Shark, Red Lion" 2xLP on red/brown. i know it can't only be my copy but it pops like crazy. ever since they switched from Pirates Press to whatever pressing plant, each pressing is on this garbage mixed vinyl that has tons of pops. not thrilled with MS this year for pressings. :(

Beware Of Safety "dogs" 2xLP (opaque yellow) is pretty ridden with surface noise. Pirates Press record. opaque colors from them usually always sound terrible though.

Odd that the Deerhoof album isn't great. I have the "Friend Opportunity" repress on green and it's got some pops but not much. Maybe you're pickier than I am ;)

all their recent mixed/marble pressings this year pop a lot, but Deerhoof has static. I'm very picky ;) I should just buy all black vinyl from Polyvinyl instead.

For some reason i find myself wanting black vinyl more often lately. I need to pick up all those deerhoof albums polyvinyl has. I've been too obsessed with getting boris releases lately.

all their recent mixed/marble pressings this year pop a lot, but Deerhoof has static. I'm very picky ;) I should just buy all black vinyl from Polyvinyl instead.

For some reason i find myself wanting black vinyl more often lately. I need to pick up all those deerhoof albums polyvinyl has. I've been too obsessed with getting boris releases lately.

I'm totally okay with black vinyl and have also been wanting it more. I guess I'm starting to believe that black vinyl sounds better than color.