Vinyl Sales Statistics

I own a small record shop so I pay attention to industry statistics and thought some of you might enjoy seeing this.

[image]

I'm a guitarist more than an ebayist (i sell far below many retailers) but I do pay attention to the industry.

Vinyl is making a serious comeback. I know there have been news articles saying this for a while... but these new statistics clearly prove it.

Keep in mind these stats do not include USED record sales.

Just think... the numbers would be far higher...

I sell more used than new LPs, but I'm just one small retailer.

I'd be willing to guess many mom and pop retailers would say the same.

I find it quite refreshing to see so many young people getting into vinyl records, I will say that. Their musical taste blows me away.

The new generation of vinylheads reminds me of the 60's

No kidding.

I spend a lot of time teaching how to properly clean records, fixing old turntables for the new vinylhead, etc... and really am excited about the renewed interest in records.

To those of you who never bailed out when CD's first reared their head, I salute you.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and these numbers are WAYYYYY off too... id say the far majority of vinyl record sales are made by small/obscure labels that in no way report anything to anyone.. i know im selling more copies if records than i ever did cds (and we went pretty much all vinyl in 2005 with a few exceptions)

its been way more exciting, and alot more satisfying personally do to lps than cds as well

and these numbers are WAYYYYY off too... id say the far majority of vinyl record sales are made by small/obscure labels that in no way report anything to anyone.. i know im selling more copies if records than i ever did cds (and we went pretty much all vinyl in 2005 with a few exceptions)

I've wondered this before--why don't the small/obscure labels report #s? do you have to pay billboard or someone some sort of fee?

btw, I'm not condemning labels for not reporting their numbers, I'm just curious

If your releases are not carried by a major distributor (ADA, RED, Redeye, Revolver, etc) they will not get reported

Not necessarily. I know for HT, they report all music sales to SoundScan so if it has a UPC then it gets reported no matter what label/distro it comes from. It more depends on the retailer selling the music than where it comes from.

interesting thread. happy to see you are teaching people how to use a tt and clean records and stuff. fortunately i was able to have my dad show me a lot of things but some peeps may not be so lucky. i have also had a few local stores help me out a lot. some people will extend a hand as soon as you walk in the door, makes me a return customer cause it is awesome to see people who really enjoy it.

CD's will be gone eventually....All music will be digital and vinyl will be the only physical copys anyone will be buying/selling.

I don't think CDs will ever be gone. Lots of people, including myself, still purchase them, they are cheap to manufacture, and not everyone listens to vinyl or digital music. CD sales will obviously never be what they were though and will continue to dwindle.

Regardless, it's fair to say that the majority of smaller, mailorder-based labels do not report to SoundScan, which probably accounts for tens of thousands of records, if not hundreds of thousands.

It's definitely multiple hundreds of thousands. My site alone has sold 10s of thousands just in the first half of 2011. And I don't think anyone who uses LP reports to soundscan.

The really interesting numbers are the amount of digital releases sold. They're obviously a lot easier to sell, which means there's a lot more people not reporting.

p.s. this graph is pretty old. Was on the nielsen blog in early May

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/consumer/cue-the-music-driven-by-digital-music-sales-up-in-2011/

CD's will be gone eventually....All music will be digital and vinyl will be the only physical copys anyone will be buying/selling.

I don't think CDs will ever be gone. Lots of people, including myself, still purchase them, they are cheap to manufacture, and not everyone listens to vinyl or digital music. CD sales will obviously never be what they were though and will continue to dwindle.

This. I dont think CDs are going to disappear nearly as quickly as everyone expects them to.

This. I dont think CDs are going to disappear nearly as quickly as everyone expects them to.

yeah, I don't think CDs are going to disappear until cars start coming with harddrives for music storage as a standard option... and maybe built in wifi to download music from itunes directly to your car's computer (preferably not while you're driving ;))

CDs are digital. Most people rip their CDs directly to their computers and carry their music around on their iPods. I buy CDs sometimes, but I haven't owned a CD player in any form for 5 years. As aux inputs become the standard for car stereos, the CD will become more and more obsolete. Like it did to the cassette before it, the CD will be phased out by the superior portable format.

Besides, I'd rather pay $7 for an album on Bandcamp and have almost all of it go to the band than pay $15 ppd, a good amount of which is eaten up by manufacturing and shipping costs, for a CD in an ugly jewel case that takes up space.

yeah, I don't think CDs are going to disappear until cars start coming with harddrives for music storage as a standard option... and maybe built in wifi to download music from itunes directly to your car's computer (preferably not while you're driving ;))

Many cars do have players that all you do is plug in your Ipod (or what ever other kind of player you have) and it plays directly off your playlist. MP3's or other format....Rather than lugging around your CD's or having them all over your car....it's all kept on a single carrying devise....

....My car stereo actually has that capability....but I don't use it...I have CD's all over my car...