Deathwish vinyl

scudeater

Anyone had any quality issues with them?

I had two Modern Life Is War LPs delivered today, just playing Witness now and although the general sound is great, the disc is quite warped, the spindle hole is off-centre on side A (yeah I know it's in the same place on both sides but I mean in relation to the centre of the relative groove spiral)

Still to try My Love My Way so hopefully that one will be ok. My worry about Witness is that it's likely to be a pressing error so many of the discs will be the same.

Those are Lifeline Records releases that Deathwish distributes. Also, vinyl is warped sometimes. If it sounds great, what's the big deal?

The 'general sound' is great - tonally, dynamically etc - but there's a huge WOW throughout which is not pleasing. It makes the disc sound out of tune and like someone is constantly turning a speed control. That's the big deal.

As an aside, the My Love My Way seems good and jamming so far.

Those are Lifeline Records releases that Deathwish distributes. Also, vinyl is warped sometimes. If it sounds great, what's the big deal?

like he said...

my experience with deathwish has always been extremely positive and i back them completely. everything i've ever received from them has been of great quality.

Nobody has had quality issues with them.

DW provides the best vinyl product out there today in my opinion. Their art is top notch (thanks Jake!), they don't go completely insane with colors, their customer service is excellent, and Tre and Jake are on this board constantly. They know what they are doing. I can only dream of a time when other labels have their shit together as much as DW does.

Quote a lot of defensive answers; I wasn't having a go for crying out loud, merely asking a question. I'm glad to see the answers saying most haven't had any problems as there are a few other vinyl records on the Deathwish site I'll be looking to buy soon. Some posts here have put my mind at ease about further purchases.

'vinyl' - Lol, take it I stumbled across a forum pet hate then? I wouldn't get any knickers in a twist about it, it was a simple case of slang slipping into my OP. It happens sometimes, mostly because a lot of my typed conversations are with friends so I tend to fall into a much less informal language when I'm doing that.

Now, a couple of things:

I've been buying vinyl records for over a quarter of a century so I'm more than aware of the inherent production flaws, so some of you can point out the obvious if you like but you're kind of wasting energy.

For someone on a forum about vinyl, not to know what 'wow' means is a bit of a surprise. The effect is akin to standing on the street while a siren travels nearer to you from a distance - as the siren gets closer the sound seems to bend. Likewise, if the linear velocity of the stylus across the groove changes because of the increased distance the stylus has to travel (s=d/t) caused by lateral or vertical movement, the sound from the record's surface can appear to bend/stretch.

The faults on this particular disc cause this effect. Some flutter is inevitable on many belt drive decks without a correctional PSU but in this instance it is far worse (I do have other records to make a comparison). And yes, warps happen (d'uh) but this warp is severe enough to make the tonearm bounce all over the place when the stylus is lowered onto the disc (using the lowereing mechanism of a Linn arm - I'm not dropping this with my fingers on some badly balanced Numark piece of crap and I know how to properly set up tracking weight and alignment), my cartridge retails for £140 - do I think I should risk having to replace it because of a faulty record? Nope.

So, I realise that I may be a forum 'noob' but I ain't a vinyl noob and I'm sure given the praise of the Deathwish service here, they'll be a bit more mature about this issue than some of you lot :D

'vinyl' - Lol, take it I stumbled across a forum pet hate then? I wouldn't get any knickers in a twist about it, it was a simple case of slang slipping into my OP. It happens sometimes, mostly because a lot of my typed conversations are with friends so I tend to fall into a much less informal language when I'm doing that.

You don't need to make excuses for yourself for this bunch. Four years of the board being here, and it still seems to be a central hangup for a lot of people. How boring.

As has been said, Deathwish are as good as you'll find when it comes to customer service. I'm sure if you contact them they'll find an acceptable solution. The record in question wasn't pressed by Deathwish, but Lifeline. It probably left one box and went straight into yours. I haven't heard of any general issues with that pressing. A replacement will likely solve your issues.

As has been said, Deathwish are as good as you'll find when it comes to customer service. I'm sure if you contact them they'll find an acceptable solution. The record in question wasn't pressed by Deathwish, but Lifeline. It probably left one box and went straight into yours. I haven't heard of any general issues with that pressing. A replacement will likely solve your issues.

Yeah I dropped an email to them before I asked here. I dunno if international postage rates might make it not really worth it though, it may be cheaper to just take a hit on this one and buy another. I'll wait and see.

EDIT: Just got a reply and Deathwish are sending out a replacement. That is indeed good service and has to be applauded.

For someone on a forum about vinyl, not to know what 'wow' means is a bit of a surprise. The effect is akin to standing on the street while a siren travels nearer to you from a distance - as the siren gets closer the sound seems to bend. Likewise, if the linear velocity of the stylus across the groove changes because of the increased distance the stylus has to travel (s=d/t) caused by lateral or vertical movement, the sound from the record's surface can appear to bend/stretch.

The faults on this particular disc cause this effect. Some flutter is inevitable on many belt drive decks without a correctional PSU but in this instance it is far worse (I do have other records to make a comparison). And yes, warps happen (d'uh) but this warp is severe enough to make the tonearm bounce all over the place when the stylus is lowered onto the disc (using the lowereing mechanism of a Linn arm - I'm not dropping this with my fingers on some badly balanced Numark piece of crap and I know how to properly set up tracking weight and alignment), my cartridge retails for £140 - do I think I should risk having to replace it because of a faulty record? Nope.

Hi.

My name's Tre, and I am one of the guys that runs Deathwish. I was not aware, at the time, that WOW was an actual audio engineering term, nor that there was an equation associated with this, as I hate math and am not an engineer. Though I am very familiar with what you are talking about.

I also know the pitfalls of this forum, and one I am incredibly familiar with are people being overly anal retentive to the condition of vinyl, and getting up in arms over small things that aren't real problems. And a certain level of warping (more specifically, bowling, or dishing, as it is uniform all around) has become, to many plants here, acceptable. Since warping of this kind, which is normally very slight, is circular all around the record, there is no worry of damage to cartridges (whether they cost £140 or are like the one that came stock on my piece of crap Numark turntable) as there is no tossing around of the tone arm. I was hoping to figure out if what you were experiencing was a manufacturing issue, or something that might have occurred in transit. Also, the record being pressed off center, and it being warped are two different issues, so, as the guy that just bought 100 of these records, I want to know if the whole batch is bad, or it's just one isolated incident.

I know you emailed orders@ and that you are getting a replacement. I am glad that this is being handled to your satisfaction.

Hi.

My name's Tre, and I am one of the guys that runs Deathwish. I was not aware, at the time, that WOW was an actual audio engineering term, nor that there was an equation associated with this, as I hate math and am not an engineer. Though I am very familiar with what you are talking about.

I also know the pitfalls of this forum, and one I am incredibly familiar with are people being overly anal retentive to the condition of vinyl, and getting up in arms over small things that aren't real problems. And a certain level of warping (more specifically, bowling, or dishing, as it is uniform all around) has become, to many plants here, acceptable. Since warping of this kind, which is normally very slight, is circular all around the record, there is no worry of damage to cartridges (whether they cost £140 or are like the one that came stock on my piece of crap Numark turntable) as there is no tossing around of the tone arm. I was hoping to figure out if what you were experiencing was a manufacturing issue, or something that might have occurred in transit. Also, the record being pressed off center, and it being warped are two different issues, so, as the guy that just bought 100 of these records, I want to know if the whole batch is bad, or it's just one isolated incident.

I know you emailed orders@ and that you are getting a replacement. I am glad that this is being handled to your satisfaction.

Yeah, thanks man (I mean that but for some reason it reads sarcastically :S). Sorry if I sounded snippy about the wow thing but your post just got lost in my head amongst a few others here. It is quote a common concern though, to the point that turntables usually quote wow and flutter figures among their spec.

For information's sake (and information's sake only, as I am indeed happy with Deathwish's handling of this), this warping is more of the rollercoaster type, where one part of the disc goes up in a bump. I've not figured out how the record appears to be off centre on one side only, (I've only experienced it as a two sided thing before) but if you view the cart it as it's playing from directly above you can see the resulting side to side movement quite obviously and of course the real problem is you can hear it.

I probably panicked a little, having found issues with my very first vinyl purchase from yourselves but as I've said before, some of the posts here have been reassuring, as has your own part teamed with the fact that the other record I bought at the same time is absolutely fine.

I can say for sure I will be back for more :)

Regards.