Pittsburgh music store to give away 33,000 records

drinker

this reminds me: I'm going to a conference at Carnegie Mellon in two weeks--what music places (record stores, venues, etc.) are within a reasonable walking distance from the CMU campus?

There is a book store (with a small record shop in it) on N Craig St called Caliban Book Shop (the record shop is called Desolation Row) (and right across the street is a cool comic shop called Phantom Of The Attic if you are into that sort of thing). I like that place. A few doors down is Wicked Discs which has vinyl and used cd's. I've never found much that I'm looking for there. If you walk down Forbes towards Pitt campus, there is a place called The Exchange which has new and used music, video games, etc. Squirrel Hill (which is where Jerry's is at) is a further walk up Forbes the other direction (and it is up a hill). There is another location of The Exchange there. There is a nice CD and vinyl store in Bloomfield on Liberty Ave called Paul's CDs. It would be a long walk from CMU, but I live in Bloomfield and I walk over to Oakland all the time (it probably takes 45 minutes or so each way).

Unfortunately most of the venues in Pittsburgh are in the South Side (Diesel, Rex Theatre, Club Cafe), the Strip District (Club Zoo, Altar Bar), or Millvale (Mr. Small's). If you can make it to Millvale though (which is not at all walkable), there is a great record store called The Attic there. They have a pretty good selection of new records and tons of used stuff.

If you are looking for anything more specific, you need tips on other things (if it's your first time in Pittsburgh, you have to go to Primanti Brothers for a sandwich...there is a location in Oakland on Forbes), or if you need any directions etc., just send me a PM.

thedanceexplosion has you covered on all things Pittsburgh. Great post, man. After I his post, I tried thinking of what I should write to help him. Glad you covered it!

I love that I had no idea this was happening until coming on here. Hah. Shows how much I pay attention to local "news."

May have to go check this out tomorrow!

I snagged a couple of boxes of singles for my dad yesterday. It'll be a blast (as usual) to go through them with him and see what he does or doesn't already have. I only went through some of them, but a lot of the records are beat to hell, even moreso than I expected. But there are also plenty that are in great shape. Granted, that's because this is not music that most people would want at all. Lots of pre-rock and roll era. My dad likes practically all music, though. I might be back in the area tomorrow to grab some more. Hopefully they'll just want to be rid of them at that point and load me up.