New member Here - My Return To Vinyl Story!

Hi Folks - I can't believe this is happening to me, but it is.

I'm 49, and back in 1986 I bought my first CD player and I never looked back... it was "goodbye forever" to old records, and I quickly embraced the new media of Compact Disc and what I then considered "superior sound". I replaced everything onto CD, and never thought I'd ever return to Vinyl.

But recently I was going around on YouTube and I noticed a fan of vinyl 45rpms, who had hundreds of samples from his record collection shown. He has a really excellent system (I will later show a couple of examples of his 45's)... I was astonished at how GREAT the sound quality was, and I was impressed. I found myself locating and playing dozens of samples from his archives, and was greatly in awe. And not only the SOUND of the music, but the old look of a record - the fun in spinning it, watching the label going around. Of course, this is something vinyl enthusiasts have collectively felt and hung onto for decades now already. Vinyl is making a comeback today -- and for many, it has never really died at all.

But for myself, something happened about five years ago.. I actually sold off a huge chunk of my ages-old and prized vinyl LP and 45 collection! Being a huge Beatles collector something like 37 years back, I had amassed a large and impressive set of Beatles records -- imports, bootlegs, U.S. treasures, 45rpm picture sleeves, etc -- but they had actually sat in the closet for the last 25 years untouched, and I never dreamt I'd ever return to them after embracing CD technology --- so I unloaded 90% of them! Now I want many of them back -- and I may eventually get around to re-buying them.

I want to return to the fun and great sound of VINYL. I've acquired a new turntable from Audio Technica, and I am absolutely HOOKED again -- haunting used record stores, not being able to control my wallet, and building back all the records I sold and more!

Let me tell you about a day that happened recently which now ranks as one of the craziest things I ever did. I found another old record store in my area and when I got there the store had just opened at 10:30am. I asked the owner where the 45's were located (I'm really heavily into collecting 45's) and he showed me the back of the store where there were thousands of used records. It looked so haphazzard -- nothing was organized at all; it was just 45 records everywhere in any old order.

It looked like a real daunting task to search and dig through these rows and stacks of endless 45's, but I was given a chair to sit down in, and I began chipping away at what seemed like an impossible task. I found a lot of gems in there, and I had a really fun time.

Now here comes the crazy part -- I'm usually an excellent judge of how much time passes, and every now and then I kept thinking to myself that I ought to stop to get something to eat and maybe take a lunch break because I hadn't eaten yet that day. Well, finally I stopped and asked the owner what time it was, and get this --- he told me it was 6:15pm ! I had been digging through records for 8 hours, and even with my uncanny ability to figure how much time passes, I was shocked! I figured it might have been around 3:00! But I began at 10:30am and when I stopped and paid for my records (I bought 195 of them!) the sun was going down!

My wife looks at the bank statement for the last month and sees that i have bought 800 dollars worth of records in the last month, then I got really sad and tried to convince myself to stick to a budget. It's these damn box sets that keep throwing me for a loop!

that's more than my record purchasing budget for an entire year.

poor life.

Welcome! If you're trying to spend less money on records, don't login here very often. You can post something in the Buy/Sell/Trade Forum you're looking for and will usually have a response in short order. New deals are posted frequently in this forum.

I've a lot less disposable income (negative, sometimes) thanks to this place.

Sounds like you are most likely an older guy, which is sort of unfortunate for you because as you can see, this board is mostly filled with juvenile man-children.

Unless you are really into "punk" bands, I would suggest there are not many people here you are likely to make a connection with. However, I'm sure there are plenty of other message boards out there that might cater more towards someone of your age and tastes.

If all the variant crybabies, retards who can't muster enough intelligence to post something other than LULZ and jealous people who complain about how much disposable income other people have that they don't somehow doesn't cause you to run screaming and delete this page from your bookmarks, then welcome.

Sounds like you are most likely an older guy, which is sort of unfortunate for you because as you can see, this board is mostly filled with juvenile man-children.

Unless you are really into "punk" bands, I would suggest there are not many people here you are likely to make a connection with. However, I'm sure there are plenty of other message boards out there that might cater more towards someone of your age and tastes.

If all the variant crybabies, retards who can't muster enough intelligence to post something other than LULZ and jealous people who complain about how much disposable income other people have that they don't somehow doesn't cause you to run screaming and delete this page from your bookmarks, then welcome.

He did say that he was 49.

Reading back over the OP again, saw the mention of the massive Beatles collection - did you at one point have one of the Butchers? I've met a couple of folks with Third State copies but never anyone who has one of the fabled First. I'm not a huge Beatles fan at all, but the lore behind that record is super interesting and I often keep up with auctions on eBay to see what copies go for - the guys who collect those are the real deal for sure!

I'm 31 so I probably connect with this old-timer better than the college kids that inhabit these parts.

Reading back over the OP again, saw the mention of the massive Beatles collection - did you at one point have one of the Butchers? I've met a couple of folks with Third State copies but never anyone who has one of the fabled First. I'm not a huge Beatles fan at all, but the lore behind that record is super interesting and I often keep up with auctions on eBay to see what copies go for - the guys who collect those are the real deal for sure!

No, actually I never did get my hands on an actual butcher cover. Too expensive back in the day.

Yeah, it depends on how you grew up and the music you were exposed to. My dad was an avid record collector and I learned so much about music from him. So I always had that knowledge, love, and appreciation of the classic and obscure rock n' roll from the '50s to now.

That was a constant alongside my vast tastes in punk and indie. Being a collector of all these different types of records would run me into homelessness if I didn't have my willpower.

I'm 35 and I inherited my dad's entire collection except his Beatles 45 picture sleeves (including rare versions of My Bonnie and Why/Cry For A Shadow). He sold those to help pay for medical bills :(

Welcome to the board, best of luck to you!