VC Official Pro Wrestling Thread

Was that the same card as Razor w/ Walter Payton v Diesel for the IC title?

Yes it was.

Fun fact about me, I was actually at that event. My uncle worked at Dominos headquarters in their marketing department and Dominos was the sponser for it and he was able to get a bunch of free tickets so he took all the kids in my extended family. I don't really remember much about it outside of being in awe of the steel cage in the Bret/Owen match. I do remember it was a huge deal in Chicago because it was one of the first events held in the United Center

summerslam 98. i was a fan back when i was just a little guy, but then just lost track. well a group of my friends had plans to get together and watch this, and i remember kind of scoffing at the idea of watching wrestling... while at the same time, getting kind of giddy to check it out again.

the baseball slide in the triple h / rock match was THE moment that blew my mind, and completely roped me back in.

we all slept over that night, and then went out on the trampoline and wrestled the next morning. one friend totally tried to double j another with an old guitar haha.

My buddy and I were discussing this today, and I wanted to ask what you all thought too. Today, I read an article about how WWE "wasted" Tyson Kidd's comeback, and I was thinking about what they REALLY could have done with him. He's a spectacular talent but where would he fit in right now? So, that got me thinking. Why doesn't the WWE scrap a title like the US title, which a lot of us on here and a lot of people in general think is terribly stale, in favor of a gimmick midcard title like the Light Heavyweight/Cruiserweight or Hardcore title or something? Or even, why don't they add another title? If the midcard titles are gonna be stale like this, why not just another one and maybe try to shake things up with a new storyline? I think it would benefit a lot of guys in the midcard to have just have a title on their waist. It would give them an accomplishment, especially if it's something like the Light Heavyweight/Cruiserweight title that could only be held by highflyers/lighter weight guys. I don't know. Those are just my opinions, and I would damn sure love to hear some of yours, agree or disagree.

i just think the roster is too big right now- it takes a moment to think it over and realize how much talent they actually have at the moment. and even with raw being extended to 3 hours, and seemingly nightly programming, it's almost impossible to give a lot of guys the screen time that they probably deserve.

it really just sucks to be aware of that when khali shows up.

Yes it was.

Fun fact about me, I was actually at that event. My uncle worked at Dominos headquarters in their marketing department and Dominos was the sponser for it and he was able to get a bunch of free tickets so he took all the kids in my extended family. I don't really remember much about it outside of being in awe of the steel cage in the Bret/Owen match. I do remember it was a huge deal in Chicago because it was one of the first events held in the United Center

Also, the weekend of the infamous chicago media v wwf softball game

summerslam 98. i was a fan back when i was just a little guy, but then just lost track. well a group of my friends had plans to get together and watch this, and i remember kind of scoffing at the idea of watching wrestling... while at the same time, getting kind of giddy to check it out again.

the baseball slide in the triple h / rock match was THE moment that blew my mind, and completely roped me back in.

we all slept over that night, and then went out on the trampoline and wrestled the next morning. one friend totally tried to double j another with an old guitar haha.

Trampoline Wrestling Leagues > anything

My buddy and I were discussing this today, and I wanted to ask what you all thought too. Today, I read an article about how WWE "wasted" Tyson Kidd's comeback, and I was thinking about what they REALLY could have done with him. He's a spectacular talent but where would he fit in right now? So, that got me thinking. Why doesn't the WWE scrap a title like the US title, which a lot of us on here and a lot of people in general think is terribly stale, in favor of a gimmick midcard title like the Light Heavyweight/Cruiserweight or Hardcore title or something? Or even, why don't they add another title? If the midcard titles are gonna be stale like this, why not just another one and maybe try to shake things up with a new storyline? I think it would benefit a lot of guys in the midcard to have just have a title on their waist. It would give them an accomplishment, especially if it's something like the Light Heavyweight/Cruiserweight title that could only be held by highflyers/lighter weight guys. I don't know. Those are just my opinions, and I would damn sure love to hear some of yours, agree or disagree.

I'm a fan of weight class titles a la UFC, but within the current landscape of WWE I don't see it happening. With the unification at the top, they aren't looking to dilute the title pool anymore, especially at the midcard level by bringing in a new championship. The problem with adding championships is while in theory, it would add prestige and accomplishment to a given talent, it also means less every time a new title is added and as that feat of obtaining a championship becomes less and less special.

You didn't ask this but in my perfect world you would have...

WWE champion

Intercontinental champion

TV champion

Tag champions

So you want it exactly how it is right now except you'd rename one title.

Queue Crime's nWo theme music.

The intercontinental and United States titles hold the same prestige. They both have a long history. Both of them can be argued to be equally as valuable as the other.

Retire the United States title (again) and bring in the TV Title. Then you have a clear ranking system for prestige.

TV < IC < WWE World

And you'd have a belt that was semi-regularly defended on TV (theoretically)

In theory it is a good idea, but in practice I dont think having a belt on some of those people would do anything to elevate them. Who was the last person to be elevated because they held the US or the IC title? I dont even remember the last time Dean Ambrose defended his title. I think a better thing to do is go back to the rule of having to defend the title within 30 days on a televised event.

The intercontinental and United States titles hold the same prestige. They both have a long history. Both of them can be argued to be equally as valuable as the other.

Retire the United States title (again) and bring in the TV Title. Then you have a clear ranking system for prestige.

TV < IC < WWE World

And that would last for about 3 weeks.

I think a better thing to do is go back to the rule of having to defend the title within 30 days on a televised event.

A lot of good points. I agree with you here sacredheart. I would definitely like to see titles defended more on Raw and maybe even change hands every once in a while.

Also, crime brought up a good point. When I was typing up my initial post, I was thinking about the TV title (TNA still has one, right?). If they do, I think for that reason alone, the WWE will never have one, not until TNA is dead at least. Also, besides defending it on Raw/Smackdown often, I feel like it would be very similar to the US title and not really change much in the title scene. That alone might be better than just that US title though. I have a terribly hard time making up my mind on this issue.

So you want it exactly how it is right now except you'd rename one title.

my issue isn't so much with the current quantity, but the logical purpose of each championship. There's noting inherently "united states" about the championship, and while WWE is an international product, largely all of the championships are defended within the United States.

By having a TV champion that defends his title every week, it gives the championship a tangible purpose while also providing a title match every week on raw.

TV < IC < WWE World

I would argue that the US doesn't have nearly the prestige as IC to the current WWE audience who are more familiar with Razor Ramon, Shawn Michaels and Mr. Perfect than Jim Crocket Promotions