else

document.write('+':rzgfjbep]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');

}

ProBoards Free Forums

I do alphabetical by band, chronological by album.

This is the way to go!!

Hells yeah. I'm with that. Of course, I go by albums original release date regardless of format which probably everyone does. If I have multiple presses of a single album then its in chronological pressing order. And if I have all or multiple variants of a single press, they're in the order that I opened them from the mailer or in chronological order of my acquisition. I'm disgusting.

I actually do have a separate cabinet for my Manic Street Preachers, Gaslight Anthem, Fake Problems, Jimmy Eat World, New Found Glory, Fall Out Boy, Taking Back Sunday, and Thursday 12" stuff. And a few other gems that I deemed worthy.

And Gaslight, Fake Problems and the MAnics get their own 7" box.

I actually do have a separate cabinet for my Manic Street Preachers, Gaslight Anthem, Fake Problems, Jimmy Eat World, New Found Glory, Fall Out Boy, Taking Back Sunday, and Thursday 12" stuff. And a few other gems that I deemed worthy.

And Gaslight, Fake Problems and the MAnics get their own 7" box.

that it wasn't worth yr time to include that RoC ATDI in the list of what you keep in that cabinet is proof that you don't treasure it and need to sell it to me!

I do alphabetical by band, chronological by album.

[/thread]

so barrington levy, beatles, blink 182 would be an acceptable arrangement? raekwon, rolling stones, russian circles?

If this really works for anyone at all, you either:

a) have less than 200 records

B) buy a really narrow variety of music on vinyl (or only like a narrow variety of music in general?)

c) grew up listening to top 40 stations and never differentiated between genres in your life

I do agree with chronological by album. I'd always done that with cd's and still do it with full-length lp's.

^ This.

While I totally agree with filing each band's record by year of release - filing them from A to Z and calling it a day just wouldn't work for me. The Jamaican sections (Ska, Rocksteady, Skinhead Reggae, Dub, etc) account for nearly 400 records by themselves while subgenres like No Wave still have 60+ releases filed. To make it worse, I even do the music in order of chronology (Soul begats Ska/Rocksteady begats Dub begats Hip Hop, etc) to make it simpler to find things and get a steady flow of listening going.

[/thread]

so barrington levy, beatles, blink 182 would be an acceptable arrangement? raekwon, rolling stones, russian circles?

If this really works for anyone at all, you either:

a) have less than 200 records

B) buy a really narrow variety of music on vinyl (or only like a narrow variety of music in general?)

c) grew up listening to top 40 stations and never differentiated between genres in your life

I do agree with chronological by album. I'd always done that with cd's and still do it with full-length lp's.

I think the notion that you shouldn't have some records near others is just stupid to me. Why is it wrong of me to have my Bad Religion records next to my Beatles records next to my BEastie Boys records?

This doesn't make any sense at all. Music is music. I don't care if you do it yourself and understand why you may want to, but if you're going to look down on others for not adhering to your own deluded sense of superiority based on your RECORD FILING SYSTEM, get over yourselves.

you mad? ;)

For me personally, it has less (not at all really) to do with any sense of superiority and more to do with my own personal OCD and sense of aesthetic (c'mon bro, you've seen my house - that shit's more meticulous than most indie comic shops and record stores). Plus it's just fun having genre folders - if you've got a sizable enough collection to do it, I think it's needed to a certain extent.