Whats Up with HRC & IIOI ?

If you are offended by a word you need thicker skin.

Really? We live in a world where kids being called Faggot in schools are committing suicide weekly and they need to grow a thicker skin? They are the problem? Good God you're an idiot. This word needs to disappear. Some words can't be de-stigmatized and this is one of them.

It's a bunch of sticks. It wasn't until queer folk 'reclaimed' the word queer that faggot started to be used in a derogatory manner towards homosexuals. The word in itself is borderline meaningless. It's about how it's used and how it's directed.

If I'm at a pub, and a mate is on the wag to the bar and doesn't offer to buy a beer. I'll call him a fag. Not because he homosexual, but because he's being a douche. And the tone of my saying that, will be obvious.

PC twats that expect the world to be this glittery little bubble where farts smell like roses and nothing will ever happen as long as your a nice person. Are delusional. Just because a word has, or can be used in a negative way. Does not mean it can't also be interpreted in a jovial or positive way.

Damn queers.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my lifetime faggot has always been a derogatory term. I'm not calling anyone homophobic for using it, that's a completely different matter. This word is loaded and hurtful. I think you got dinged for calling folks pc twats. I had a friend jump under a train in 1993 due to her hurt and confusion and the names. The next day a kid in class made the comment "who cares she just a lesbian". It's 2011 and little has changed except that people are finally talking about it. If that makes me a pc twat so be it but right now I think dismissing this conversation because you like to call your mate In a pub a fag is silly.

If you are offended by a word you need thicker skin.

Really? We live in a world where kids being called Faggot in schools are committing suicide weekly and they need to grow a thicker skin?

I gotta say, if someone kills themselves over a word.. they REALLY DO need thicker skin. I'm not endorsing it here, but some people do blow stuff out of proportion.

In my lifetime faggot has always been a derogatory term. I'm not calling anyone homophobic for using it, that's a completely different matter. This word is loaded and hurtful. I think you got dinged for calling folks pc twats. I had a friend jump under a train in 1993 due to her hurt and confusion and the names. The next day a kid in class made the comment "who cares she just a lesbian". It's 2011 and little has changed except that people are finally talking about it. If that makes me a pc twat so be it but right now I think dismissing this conversation because you like to call your mate In a pub a fag is silly.

i don't think the word fag is as big of a deal in australia or the uk as it is here in the US. it means cigarette, right? RIGHT?

Just to try and defend what seems like an indefensible thing (because I like the challenge): Andy wasn't actually calling anyone in the room a "faggot." He was most likely making reference to any number of the support tours HRC did back in the day where they'd play in front of a thousand glass-eyed teens waiting to see Dashboard Confessional or whoever.

Doesn't make his usage of the word right by any means, but it's not like he was up onstage goosestepping around and yelling, "Sieg Heil!" It was just a dumb slip of the tongue from a (most likely at least relatively inebriated) Southern-raised good ol' boy who just happened to find a guitar when he was young and write some killer songs in his early 20s.

I love Evan to death, too, but he is very much a New Jersey scene kid, in so much as he shoots first and rarely even gets around to asking questions later. Dude can be hyper-judgmental sometimes, considering his stage banter generally includes more "fuck"s than your average Blink-182 show.

At the end of the day, this whole thing is a non-issue. Hot Rod Circuit doesn't hate gay people.

My point all along has little to do with HRC being homophobes - I have no real evidence they are and to level an accusation that their singer is for one use of said word would be ridiculous. It is the term overall and whether it should have a place in conversation as either an insult or a playful word among friends. I side that it doesn't. Someone brought up that the word has no legit use and that got a reaction from some and led me here. I'll admit though it was an error to create a discussion like this in a thread about an off-handed incident.

Dreamover: you know he wasn't referring to cigarettes.

gcarn: No one is talking about one use tossed out casually. It is the intent behind the word and the vitriol behind how it's used. I know the torture my friend endured and no matter how much her friends supported her the evil behind the insults left her feeling she'd never have peace in this world. I can't imagine how devastating that is. The last thing anyone who is mentally unstable needs is to be pushed by loaded terms that are an assault on their sexual identity.

Just to try and defend what seems like an indefensible thing (because I like the challenge): Andy wasn't actually calling anyone in the room a "faggot." He was most likely making reference to any number of the support tours HRC did back in the day where they'd play in front of a thousand glass-eyed teens waiting to see Dashboard Confessional or whoever.

Doesn't make his usage of the word right by any means, but it's not like he was up onstage goosestepping around and yelling, "Sieg Heil!" It was just a dumb slip of the tongue from a (most likely at least relatively inebriated) Southern-raised good ol' boy who just happened to find a guitar when he was young and write some killer songs in his early 20s.

I love Evan to death, too, but he is very much a New Jersey scene kid, in so much as he shoots first and rarely even gets around to asking questions later. Dude can be hyper-judgmental sometimes, considering his stage banter generally includes more "fuck"s than your average Blink-182 show.

At the end of the day, this whole thing is a non-issue. Hot Rod Circuit doesn't hate gay people.

I saw Hot Rod Circuit open for Dashboard Confessional and I can attest. I lifted my friend up because he wanted to crowd surf and some one told me "what are you doing he could get hurt."

Fag in this day and age is not intrinsically sexual. It can mean being a douche bag, or being effeminate, or being lame, or being homosexual. It is all how you use it, much like every word.

People are judgmental by nature. The same people that are being called "fag" probably talk to their friends about fraternity members using derogatory terms like bro, jock, or rapist.

you people would not survive in atlanta. i think every race uses the words nigga, cracker, honkey, fag, etc. and these are in friendly conversations. i am not one to throw around those words often (although i do refer to people as faggots in front of a friend of mine simply cuz i know it pisses him off). everyone get off their horse.

is there some real bullying going on out there? yes, but i believe it is very obvious when someone is actually trying to hurt somebody and someone is just talking out of their ass.

i met those dudes when they first moved to CT and the band was named Antidote, as we both worked for Sam Goody... you never heard them complain about playing to rooms filled with "pussy faggots" when they were selling mad merch, and raking in the gaurantee $$.

you people would not survive in atlanta. i think every race uses the words nigga, cracker, honkey, fag, etc. and these are in friendly conversations.

Well, one more reason to avoid Atlanta.

Last time i was in atlanta i got pickpocketed and a Bum tried to jump in front of my car to wash my windows while i was still moving.

you people would not survive in atlanta. i think every race uses the words nigga, cracker, honkey, fag, etc. and these are in friendly conversations. i am not one to throw around those words often (although i do refer to people as faggots in front of a friend of mine simply cuz i know it pisses him off). everyone get off their horse.

is there some real bullying going on out there? yes, but i believe it is very obvious when someone is actually trying to hurt somebody and someone is just talking out of their ass.

Born and raised in a small town just outside of Macon and lived in ATL for a good number of years. Let me say my piece about this region - the generalizations that go with the general syntax of the population is disgusting and neither I nor my friends or family indulged heavily in this kind of language. Don't lump an entire population into what select pockets (no matter their size) of people do or say.

At the end of the day, no matter how things are sliced, if these words are offensive as a general rule - it is NOT wrong for people to be offended by them. If someone wants to utilize such vocabulary in their own friend's circle, then so be it but if they choose to use them around a greater populace with a larger divergence of opinion, then they need to expect that they'll receive flack for the usage of those words just as much as those people giving the flack are expecting to be called 'pc twats' and to 'get a thicker skin'.

Assigning less common but still legitimate uses to words that are most commonly known (in America atleast) for one purpose in order to dial down the impact is a cop out and on a board of folks who consume punk rock based or related musics and involve themselves in such scenes, this should already be obvious since many of the lyrics of the bands we listen to are anti-hate all across the board. I have a hard time seeing how people can get so riled up when folks say it's unreasonable to use a generally offensive word and to be decent to one another as a rule.

Making the excuse that it's okay for these words to be used in one instance (talking out the ass or being generally innocuous about it) and not another (when being used as weapons) isn't entirely valid since the line between those two spectrums is incredibly thin and in most cases, practically non-existent at all.

i don't think the word fag is as big of a deal in australia or the uk as it is here in the US. it means cigarette, right? RIGHT?

This is true, or at least it was, I didn't know a faggot wasn't a bundle of sticks until I was a teenager. A fag will always be a cigarette to me.

Being Scottish however I did learn to use the word cunt when I was 5 years old.

you all will hate me. i use fag from time to time. and not so much as a derogatory term. just a way to describe overly flamboyant gay men.. which i can't stand. it has nothing to do with their sexuality, just their general attitude. i can't stand women with the same behavior. but damn do they know how to throw a party!!

This is true, or at least it was, I didn't know a faggot wasn't a bundle of sticks until I was a teenager. A fag will always be a cigarette to me.

Being Scottish however I did learn to use the word cunt when I was 5 years old.

exactly, we had fucking lollies called fags, until a few years ago when PC twats got their tampons twisted. If someone is actually going to get upset at a word, which is used in jest. Then the problem lies with them, not the person using it.

If i call a mate a fag, and someone else gets upset. THEY have the problem because they imagine the connotation of the word. So fuck you for thinking in a homophobic manner