Post a Picture of your Axe/Gear!

^Nice man. I have always had a thing for white Les Pauls.

I completely upgraded my rig last week. Meet my 1979 Fender Bassman 100. Yeah the cab is a Peavey, but I loaded it with Vintage 30's and this thing rocks. It's a closed-back prototype JSX cab. Part of me wants to drill a port into it because it's a little too punchy for my taste. Also I should get a new Fender logo in the mail this week. I recorded a rough Into it. Over it. cover through a Blue Yeti without any effects except some reverb in post-pro. I'm recording new Familiar Theme songs with it on Thursday. So excited. The tone is just  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

https://soundcloud.com/familiartheme/no-amount-of-sound-cover-fender-bassman-100-demo

20150515_172141-1_zps0aiuqh6y.jpg20150515_172200_zpsmv0wpskq.jpg20150515_172218_HDR-1_zpsv0clup49.jpg

Now someone buy my Peavey Valveking 212 and the JSX speakers from me, please.  :D

Huge fan of silver face Bassman's. One of my buddies (who I ended up being roommates with for 3 years....now a doctor) had three different Bassman's at one point in time, we spent weeks A/B-ing them at various settings through different cabs with different guitars and basses and tunings and pedals and so on and so fourth. He ended up loving the blackface pre-CBS bassman he had the most and I was still leaning heavily towards the silver face.

Huge fan of silver face Bassman's. One of my buddies (who I ended up being roommates with for 3 years....now a doctor) had three different Bassman's at one point in time, we spent weeks A/B-ing them at various settings through different cabs with different guitars and basses and tunings and pedals and so on and so fourth. He ended up loving the blackface pre-CBS bassman he had the most and I was still leaning heavily towards the silver face.

I hear those pre-CBS Bassmans are the "best" ones, but I really wanted the master volume. Plus, the silverface panel is so sexy.

@piky

Thanks, man! Took me awhile to find a 2x12, surprisingly.

I hear those pre-CBS Bassmans are the "best" ones, but I really wanted the master volume. Plus, the silverface panel is so sexy.

If you were only running clean tone on single cool guitars I think the pre-CBS brownface (I said blackface earlier, but his was a brownface....ha another buddy with a blackface one that was my least favorite) would be great, but I felt like the silver face he had played better with pedals (boosts/distortions/fuzz not really anything time-based) and with humbuckers....silver face was a better fit for what I would've been looking for tone-wise, felt it was more versitile. End of the day...would gladly jam either one for the right price.

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

OK I've been thinking about it for a while but I'm really set on getting a drum set. I have no freaking clue what I am doing. Can't play at all. I'm just going to watch some online videos and figure it out. I've done it with other instruments.

If someone wanted to suggest a set, that would be awesome. Preferably something used on Ebay or Craigslist (Metro Detroit). To use a guitar analogy, I'm not going to play professionally and don't need the $3k Gibson. Also don't want to buy the $200 Squire I'm going to eventually want to replace. Looking for that American Strat that cost $1k and I can get used for $600 or so.

Not completely against retail but someone would have to convince me it was a really great deal. I just believe in letting someone else take the 40% hit when reselling and end up with a better set for the money put in than go brand new.

I'll be playing the shit in my tradeslist (Gaslight Anthem, Teenage Bottlerocket, Lawrence Arms, etc). Not sure how many pieces I should get and if the dimensions of the really important in determining what songs you can/can't play on them.

Someone making this search easy for me would be appreciated.

OK I've been thinking about it for a while but I'm really set on getting a drum set. I have no freaking clue what I am doing. Can't play at all. I'm just going to watch some online videos and figure it out. I've done it with other instruments.

If someone wanted to suggest a set, that would be awesome. Preferably something used on Ebay or Craigslist (Metro Detroit). To use a guitar analogy, I'm not going to play professionally and don't need the $3k Gibson. Also don't want to buy the $200 Squire I'm going to eventually want to replace. Looking for that American Strat that cost $1k and I can get used for $600 or so.

Not completely against retail but someone would have to convince me it was a really great deal. I just believe in letting someone else take the 40% hit when reselling and end up with a better set for the money put in than go brand new.

I'll be playing the shit in my tradeslist (Gaslight Anthem, Teenage Bottlerocket, Lawrence Arms, etc). Not sure how many pieces I should get and if the dimensions of the really important in determining what songs you can/can't play on them.

Someone making this search easy for me would be appreciated.

I guess no one going to do my research for me.

Thoughts on this one (and suggested price)?

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/msg/5020566632.html

I guess no one going to do my research for me.

Thoughts on this one (and suggested price)?

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/msg/5020566632.html

Excellent price and great kit for what you want to do. I played a PDP for 5 or 6 years before upgrading to the 3k Gibson type kit I use now. For what you want it's perfect

PDP is solid mid-level stuff to look at. Gretsch makes a kit called the catalina club mod. Can usually be found in the 500-600 range and sound great for the price. Little bit of a longer kick drum, gives you that real boom and thud you hear in the kick in those bands you mentioned. Just as good, if not better than the PDP kits but with the cymbals that ad is a great deal. Kit looks like this usually:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gretsch-Catalina-Club-Mod-4-Piece-Drum-Set-with-Sabian-cymbals-and-hardware-/161694601749

they've been around long enough they should be somewhat easy to find used. 

I also highly recommend any of the older Yamaha stuff that looks like link below. You can tell by the hardware, those long strips running up and down the whole kit. I've used one similar a couple times to record and it was fantastic, they really stood the test of time and I plan on buying one the next time they pop up in my area. Again, usually sit between the $500-$800 mark depending on condition. 

http://www.vintageandrare.com/uploads/products/17345/699941/original.jpg

I scanned the craigslist for Detroit and surrounding area, this is by far the best deal on there and would do you great for a long time. Doesn't have cymbals but it's a really great price for this kit it's worth having to pick up a cheap batch of cymbals online somewhere after:

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/msg/5031998118.html

I bought that PDP set I posted above for $600 (before I read that last post or I may have gone that way). Anyways, I just wanted to get something and start hitting it, not dick around with CL forever. Thanks all who gave advice.

It's really easy to carry a basic beat but I am struggling to play anything else. I guess I just need to practice and watch some instructional videos. If it was easy everyone would be a drummer.

Honestly it really comes down to tapping on your legs and playing beats every single time you're sitting down. I also tap with my teeth a ton but so many break throughs in my playing came from simply tapping it out on the legs. It builds rhythm and hones your internal clock and let's you sort of try and emulate the beat you want sound wise rather than thinking technically "what should I be hitting"

Never stop tapping

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone into Eurorack or synth stuff?

I just got a rabbit so I'm thinking about selling off some of the ol' peavey and sunn stuff and getting into the eurorack game

I was looking at either a pittsburgh modular's system 10.1 or a Korg MS-20 Mini for starters

(with some saving etc)

Anyone have any advice or recommendations in either department?

(Also, if you're in the NJ/NYC area and are interested in a Peavey 2x15 and a broken Sunn Concert PA, PM me)

Don't do it. Finding a sextet of matched power tubes would not be a fun time and they're prone to having issues. Plus 180W is too loud for just about anything.

Good call, I've been in the middle about it for a while. I'd like a nice combo between bedroom level and small gigs

I'm currently running a concert bass into a mesa 2x12, tempted to stick with it but also want to delve into tube stuff at some point

Check out a Fender Bassman 50, 70, 100 or 135. The 70 and 135 are made with ultra-linear power transformers and they apparently sound a little sterile. My experience with a Bassman 70 didn't make me feel that way. I have a Bassman 100 that I absolutely love. You can pick them up for around $500-$600, but you'll want to make sure it's been serviced.

Mine is almost all original from 1979 and I have to replace the electrolytic capacitors in it because if they go bad, I could end up having some major issues in the future.

They're all great, loud amps. Lots of clean headroom and perfect for pedal platforms. I can get mine down to bedroom levels very easily and still sound good. It idles quieter than any other amp I've ever heard.

I prefer head + cab because it's a little easier to carry around. Some of those Fender combos are ridiculously heavy.

Check out a Fender Bassman 50, 70, 100 or 135. The 70 and 135 are made with ultra-linear power transformers and they apparently sound a little sterile. My experience with a Bassman 70 didn't make me feel that way. I have a Bassman 100 that I absolutely love. You can pick them up for around $500-$600, but you'll want to make sure it's been serviced.

Mine is almost all original from 1979 and I have to replace the electrolytic capacitors in it because if they go bad, I could end up having some major issues in the future.

They're all great, loud amps. Lots of clean headroom and perfect for pedal platforms. I can get mine down to bedroom levels very easily and still sound good. It idles quieter than any other amp I've ever heard.

I prefer head + cab because it's a little easier to carry around. Some of those Fender combos are ridiculously heavy.

Do you think the switch from a Sunn concert bass would be worth it? I'm always worried about fucking up a tube amp. I've had decent luck with my ss stuff.