Threadz thread

so a friend of mine (no, really) has no fashion sense whatsoever. hes an awkward kid who just never had anyone teach him the first thing about what he put on. and now at 25 years old, hes finally truly aware of this, and looking to clean up.

i took him to the mall today, and helped him pick out a few things to get him started.. jeans, khakis, a couple sweaters & button ups, socks, belt, tshirts.

but his biggest problem is that even with the wardrobe available to him, he doesnt really *get it*

ive been scouring the internet looking for a website that he can refer to for simple do's and don'ts, and perhaps some "try this" kind of stuff. unfortunately, there's too much out there that plays off "spring fashion trends" and the runway. all im looking for is something easy that wont confuse him too much.

and while were here, we might as well get a fashion thread going.. right?

If he doesn't have any linear sense of dressing himself, I'd imagine he'd look awkward in anything you put him in regardless of how practical it is. Some folks just don't know how to compose themselves unfortunately - on the upside some don't particularly care though. If he's looking to clean up, have you done something more basic like show him pictures of folks (bands, actors, etc)? It's a more teenage approach granted, but it may give him a direction to move towards?

im hoping to find some easy reading material for him, because i think that will do more good than me saying "this doesnt look good" with no clear reason to back it up.

i know what you mean about compare/contrast. the tough part is that hes surrounded by a group of guys with very different styles, yet he doesnt pick up on any of it.

it also doesnt help that one of our friends is trying to give him advice at the same time, and hes pretty much contrasting everything i say. this same person gave me shit the other night for wearing a sweater over a collared shirt, negating everything hell ever say about clothes again.

while i dont have anything against people who are content with a minimalist approach to what they wear, id say its best if you just moved on from this thread..

I can see both approaches honestly - both your's and Sean's - for me personally, I'm fairly basic - I usually only wear black dress pants or black jeans and I pair one of those with a darker shaded button down (usually darker forest coloured greens and blacks) with a t-shirt underneath. In the summer, I can roll the sleeves up and look decent because it shows off my (tattoo) sleeves or if I'm cooking for a client, I can roll the sleeves down and look more professional - basically, collared button downs are incredibly versatile in that they can be really casual (I NEVER wear them tucked in) or professional depending on the situation called for. I also have a small selection of suit jackets that I wear as well.

It's a really simply approach, but it's fairly fail safe in terms of being easy to assemble while looking put together and (fairly) fashionable.

I've seen Kriss pictures on FB and he has good jeans. What kind of jeans do you wear dude?

I can't honestly tell you because I don't know the brands and the ones in those FB pictures are from nearly a year ago - Mellie could probably answer since they used to be her's (she dropped a bunch of weight a few years ago and I inherited those jeans. Nowadays since I've been dropping weight, they'd probably be too big for me too).

I can see both approaches honestly - both your's and Sean's - for me personally, I'm fairly basic - I usually only wear black dress pants or black jeans and I pair one of those with a darker shaded button down (usually darker forest coloured greens and blacks) with a t-shirt underneath. In the summer, I can roll the sleeves up and look decent because it shows off my (tattoo) sleeves or if I'm cooking for a client, I can roll the sleeves down and look more professional - basically, collared button downs are incredibly versatile in that they can be really casual (I NEVER wear them tucked in) or professional depending on the situation called for. I also have a small selection of suit jackets that I wear as well.

It's a really simply approach, but it's fairly fail safe in terms of being easy to assemble while looking put together and (fairly) fashionable.

this is pretty much me at all times. well if i'm in texas wearing a button down is too freakin' hot. black, black jeans, black shoes unfortunately. been dressing like that since i was 6 or 7. except throw in some vans or a colored t shirt sometimes and that's me.

washington is a little different. gotta go shopping for flannels, and rain jacket, and some waterproof shoes. my dickies jacket, while warm, doesn't keep me dry, nor does my hoodie, or adidas. :(

Guest mellietronx
I've seen Kriss pictures on FB and he has good jeans. What kind of jeans do you wear dude?

I can't honestly tell you because I don't know the brands and the ones in those FB pictures are from nearly a year ago - Mellie could probably answer since they used to be her's (she dropped a bunch of weight a few years ago and I inherited those jeans. Nowadays since I've been dropping weight, they'd probably be too big for me too).

They are probably Express Jeans.

I honestly have the worst sense of fashion. I could never stick to one style.

I always assume guys have an easier way of finding fashion, but I could be wrong..according to what I have read here.

I used to wear band and baseball related shirts everyday. Now I just have my sisters buy clothes for me. Can't stand to be in the mall for more than 15 minutes. Can't shop in places playing techno music. They love it though.

Wearing nice clothes helps pick up girls. Definitely worth it, even though I still love and occasionally break out my band shirts. Always have girls dress you though. They know what to do.

I used to wear band and baseball related shirts everyday. Now I just have my sisters buy clothes for me. Can't stand to be in the mall for more than 15 minutes. Can't shop in places playing techno music. They love it though.

Wearing nice clothes helps pick up girls. Definitely worth it, even though I still love and occasionally break out my band shirts. Always have girls dress you though. They know what to do.

my mom always kept me in check. but my friend lost his mom at a very early age, and never really had that kind of guidance.

and its one thing to just wear your clothes casually and not put any real thought into it, but this same kid has gone out in public wearing his shirt inside out. and backwards. at the same time.

that reminds me i need to go shopping for a few suits just to have for special occasions. i don't know any women in town so i'm pretty screwed. hell i don't know anyone in town that would even take me suit shopping.. kindaofabummer.

It's all in the fit of whatever you wear, and how confident the wearer is. You can wear whatever the hell you want, just come off like that's how you always dress and it's fine.

People who try to hard bug me, though.

This. Exactly this.

My 'style', if you could call it that has always been 3/4 length dickies, wife beater and some band shirt/Hawaiian shirt over it through spring/summer. I change it up in winter/autumn with a hoodie and jeans. And not tight skinny jeans either. I could never skate well in those

I'm fatter now. Let me get the old jeans, I'll trade you records.

my boyfriend just let's me suggest things to him, then tries them on and if i approve of them aesthetic-wise and he approves comfort/fit-wise, it's a go!

there's no one jean style that's going to work for every dude; you're all built differently. but generally speaking, levis are a good bet. 511s or 513s.

My body is a wonderland, but anytime I stray from a band shirt or plaid shirt and jeans I feel super awkward and uncomfortable.

This. i have to dress up for work and i feel like a shadow of myself from 7:30 to 4. Of course, it is a soul-less office, so that could be part of it, too.

i got a big hooded robe and some Mukluk slippers for Christmas, so i've been wearing those around my house lately. Super comfortable.

my boyfriend just let's me suggest things to him, then tries them on and if i approve of them aesthetic-wise and he approves comfort/fit-wise, it's a go!

there's no one jean style that's going to work for every dude; you're all built differently. but generally speaking, levis are a good bet. 511s or 513s.

i'm down with levi's.. and dickies.... and ironheart (if i could afford them)

don't wear silver and gold at the same time! [that's more for the ladies]

H & M is a great store for cheap fashion. The clothes are fitted and simply in that fact, they become more fashionable. It's really affordable. BEST STORE!

for jeans, personally I'm all about skinny. I hate baggy jeans. I wear Bullhead mostly.

don't wear silver and gold at the same time! [that's more for the ladies]

H & M is a great store for cheap fashion. The clothes are fitted and simply in that fact, they become more fashionable. It's really affordable. BEST STORE!

for jeans, personally I'm all about skinny. I hate baggy jeans. I wear Bullhead mostly.

i do love h&m a great deal. the closest one is 45 minutes from me, so that's a bummer.

also, i never really used to shop there much, but old navy has been having some stellar deals on clothes as of late. my guy loves their skinny jeans (which aren't all that skinny, really), and i got him a bunch of really nice sweaters for only $10 or less a piece. they also have nice slim fit khakis in different colors there.