Best/Worst Show(s) You've Been To

A memory of a real bad show was going to see a friend of a friend's band play a small show where all the bands had to play at least one Christian song. The person kinda knew played a velvet revolver cover song without the words as their Christian song. That is bad enough, but what really stuck out was the front man of another band drop his pick mid-song and then reach into his pocket to pull one out. However, he grabbed like 10 and dropped all of those on the ground. Bent over to pick up one and knocked the mic stand over.

Damn. Good call with TMBG. I finally saw them for the first time a few months back at the Vic. They put on a fucking awesome show. Got a signed copy of Join Us from it, too!

That Cleveland show in '07 was the one at the Beachland Ballroom where TMBfuckingG blew a fuse in the place the first song in (because they rocked the fuck out of the place that hard). So while the venue was crounging for a fuse at 10:30 at night, they did an unmic-ed, acoustic set. It was fucking glorious.

And if you haven't seen Corn Mo... See Corn Mo if you ever get a chance. Just do it.

Holy shit that rules. To be honest, I've never heard of Corn Mo. Johnathan Coulton opened for them a few months ago. I'll be sure to check them out!

Their second guitarist Dan Miller couldn't make the Vic show due to a family emergency, so they primarily played stuff off the first 4 or 5 records. It was awesome. I still would love to see one of their 'Flood in it's entirety' shows. I heard they just started doing the same with Lincoln.

La Dispute/Balance and Composure/Make Do and Mend in Toronto this past June I want to say? Regardless, such a perfect bill, everyone sounded amazing.

The sound for MDAM was horrible that night. We left right after them so I can't say anything for LD or BaC. But for MDAM it was horrible.

Guest errolwest
Terror (Christian Hardcore, NOOO thank you)

since when is terror christian hardcore??? i mean, they suck all the same, but are certainly not christian.

Oh I remember another one, Beloved with BTBAM at the late Embassy Hotel. During the beloved set there was only like me, my 6 friends, maybe a couple other people. Everyone left and came back to see BTBAM. I didn't stick around for BTBAM, I was satisfied that Beloved essentially played a set for just me and my friends, plus I never really dug BTBAM.

I miss that shithole embassy! I saw a TON of bands there.

Yeah I had tons of good times there.... it was great, now it's grass :(

the last great show I went to was the Jersey reunion show at Boston Manner with The Flatliners and The Snips.

They pretty much played every song they ever recorded and it was awesome.

I was at this show. Also one of my favourites. You can't go wrong with that lineup. Another one of my favourite shows was the Sum 41 hometown show at The Opera House (Pretty small venue for a band like Sum 41). They announced the show 2 weeks in advance, and it sold out. It was crazy!

That Cleveland show in '07 was the one at the Beachland Ballroom where TMBfuckingG blew a fuse in the place the first song in (because they rocked the fuck out of the place that hard). So while the venue was crounging for a fuse at 10:30 at night, they did an unmic-ed, acoustic set. It was fucking glorious.

And if you haven't seen Corn Mo... See Corn Mo if you ever get a chance. Just do it.

Holy shit that rules. To be honest, I've never heard of Corn Mo. Johnathan Coulton opened for them a few months ago. I'll be sure to check them out!

Their second guitarist Dan Miller couldn't make the Vic show due to a family emergency, so they primarily played stuff off the first 4 or 5 records. It was awesome. I still would love to see one of their 'Flood in it's entirety' shows. I heard they just started doing the same with Lincoln.

Corn Mo is a just a dude with his accordion and piano. Also, one of the most grateful, nicest motherfuckers I've ever met. Hilarious, and sweet. To this day, he's done the only rendition of "Freebird" I can tolerate. Sings as if he's in a metal band, has written songs about 8th grade girlfriends and making out in mall basements.

He I glorious.

Corn Mo is a just a dude with his accordion and piano. Also, one of the most grateful, nicest motherfuckers I've ever met. Hilarious, and sweet. To this day, he's done the only rendition of "Freebird" I can tolerate. Sings as if he's in a metal band, has written songs about 8th grade girlfriends and making out in mall basements.

He I glorious.

This sounds awesome. Thanks for the tip!!

Acoustic House Show: Busman's Holiday w/ Paul Baribeu

House Show: The World is a Beautiful Place and I'm No Longer Afraid to Die w/ CSTVT & Stay Ahead of the Weather (Probably my favorite of all favorites.)

Concert: Most memorable would be Subhumans w/ 9 Shocks Terror. Show was crazy good! Bottle rockets, cops, fire department, and all that jazz.

BEST:

Bright Eyes, Cursive, Desaparecidos and more in Omaha two summers ago.

Bright Eyes in Toronto on the last tour. Just the best performance I've ever seen.

Lawrence Arms 10th Anniversary show in Chicago. I've never been that stoked to see a band play for that long. I gave up the Fest that year to go to that show and don't regret it for a second.

The Menzingers at FEST 9. They played at the Venue, everyone flooded the stage for A Lesson, all around just an amazing set.

Hot Water Music in London Ontario this past spring (?). Descendents were playing in Toronto that night so the show was under attended but it made it 100x better in my opinion.

La Dispute/Balance and Composure/Make Do and Mend in Toronto this past June I want to say? Regardless, such a perfect bill, everyone sounded amazing.

FEST 7. Got a plane ticket for my 18th birthday and had probably the best weekend of my life. First time I saw Iron Chic (who played at the kickstand by the way) and The Lawrence Arms set was nuts too.

WORST

By FAR both times I've seen the Gaslight Anthem. First time was at Call the Office in London and I've never heard a band sound worse or play so sloppy. The second time was in Toronto in a massive venue right after their newest record. I left halfway through the set.

I was SUPER let down with Banner Pilot's performance at the Fest 7 I think it was. I was looking forward to seeing them so badly and they just seemed unenthused and the drummer was a mess. I still wan't to see them again as I'm hoping it was just a fluke bad set.

I was right up front for the HWM set in London. June 16, the day after my 29th birthday. Drank a ton of beer, then headed to the nite owl for the after party. Talked to Chris for a long time. Then, Dave Hause was so drunk they almost left him behind. Chuck came back in the bar saying that they were "down a man". So funny. Dave always gets so messy whenever he plays, and in London for sure.

Cap'n Jazz was probably one of the bands that has blown me away the most. I really wasn't expecting much...bad attitudes, low energy, short set but its was just the complete opposite of that. Everyone was really into it and they played about everything. Really worth the trip.

Most disappointing was probably The Good Life at the Grog. He was pretty drunk and just didn't sound good.

• 7 months later...

Best Shows:

Descendents (saw them for free last year at NXNE)

Aquabats (I saw them at Call The Office back in 2010, probably only 200 people there and a handful of cadets)

Teenage Bottlerocket (I love these fuckers)

Incubus (If Not Now, When? tour)

Worst Shows:

Dayglo Abortions (I love Dayglo but the sound at the venue was shit)

Misfits (Please just stop already...)

Best show I have seen was Godspeed You! Black Emperor. Worst show I have seen was Pierced Arrows open for Godspeed. People seem to love Pierced Arrows around here in Portland, but holy fuck it was bad. Figured I hated them at first because I was getting pumped to see Godspeed play, but no. Saw them again opening up for Dinosaur Jr/Scratch Acid a few months later, and it was just as bad. Another tie for best would be Codeine's second night in Seattle in July. Seeing them play their cover of Atmosphere by Joy Division was the single greatest moment of my life.

Angels & Airwaves put on an absolutely awful show back in like '07. Probably my worst.

I'll agree with this statement. Tom has really lost it.

I saw them open for Weezer a few years back. Not my cup of tea, but it was still absolutely horrid. Tom talking about watching his friend's sister naked from outside her window was odd. Tokyo Police Club played before them and that was worse, so whatever.