document.write('+':xyuqugng]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');

}

ProBoards Free Forums

now THIS is a good thread!

Ty Segall has been one of my favorites over the last few years. If you like his stuff, try his earlier bands Epsilons and well as the Traditional Fools as well. If you end up loving the Mummies (the Mummies friggin' RULE!), then you'd love both of these bands.

Most anything on the Hozac label as well as select stuff on Sacred Bones (the last Human Eye record was WAY rad!)

60's Garage: (and early rockabilly/50's trash - it all tied together)

The Blue Magoos

The Count Five

The Sonics

The Trashmen

The Shangri-Las

The Troggs

Hasil Adkins (more 50's but seriously some of the most lo - fi manic stuff you'll ever hear!)

Jack Starr

(early) Wanda Jackson

(early) Charlie Feathers

try to check out various compilation series floating around like Teenage Shutdown, Back From The Grave, Pebbles, Strummin' Mental, Girls In The Garage, Sin Alley and various others as well - TONS of crazy obscure garage rock/punk and early rockabilly and 50's trash on those.

Also - the ULTIMATE garage rock radio show - go get a torrent of Lux Interior's early 1980's radio show The Purple Knif. Seriously the best 1 hour of listening one could have. The vinyl is stupid expensive if you find it (60+) but snatch it up if you do because it's worth every penny (this is one of the prizes in my personal collection).

For newer stuff from the 70's onward:

Billy Childish and his various bands (Thee Milkshakes, Thee Mighty Caesars, etc)

The Fleshtones

The Bo-Weevils (from Australia)

Cococoma

Permanent Voltage

Man or Astro-Man?

The Phantom Surfers

The Makers

The Scientists

Hunx and His Punx

Eddy Current Suppression Ring

So many. This thread has me stoked!

jesus and mary chain.

Their early EP's and 7"s had a really Cramp-ish sound which held garage elements certainly but JaMC were more pioneers of shoe gaze/noise pop.

i agree, but in comparison to the example videos given, the OP would not be disappointed if in fact they have been missing out on JMC.

this is VERY true! :) - I'm biased slightly due to JaMC being one of my all time favorites. Their buzz saw guitar approach definitely has a place holder on a lot of current garage bands like Woven Bones and definitely other bands on the Hozac roster for sure. The Mummies videos that skadaddy linked rule though - the Mummies are probably one of my favorite 'budget rock' 80's/90's garage punk bands. My favorite tune by them is 'The Fly'. The organ in that song...

If we are talking old school rockabilly nothing beats Charlie Feathers. Link Wray is my favorite instrumentalist. Mainstream? Carl Perkins Sun sessions are amazing.

More current: I haven't seen anyone mention Flashlights - I think their album is awesome. The Quadrajets are really consistent. Others covered a lot of great acts above.

Some really obscure stuff has surfaced on some great comps (god bless Bear Family and Norton). Here are a couple great ones to start with if you're into the 60s sound:

Fridays at the Hideout

http://www.amazon.com/Friday-At-Hideout-Detroit-1964-67/dp/B0013B1R3O

and

Trans World Punk Rave Up

http://paradiseofgaragecomps.blogspot.com/2008/02/trans-world-punk-rave-up-1-lp-crawdad.html

This second comp is mind blowingly good. I bought it 15 years ago for a dollar and the song by Scorpions (not glam rock band) is one of the best Euro garage songs I've ever heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrAUw1LnkrM&hl=en&fs=1

shit yeah Dave! that's some rad stuff! All of those compilations are SO good!

Radio Cramps! http://www.garagepunk.com/2005/08/25/the-purple-knif-show/

Also, my favorite tune out of the entire 8 volume Back From The Grave series by Little Willie and The Adolescents (no, not those dudes from So Cal!)

More current: I haven't seen anyone mention Flashlights - I think their album is awesome. The Quadrajets are really consistent. Others covered a lot of great acts above.

I can't believe NJ peeps know about the Quadrajets....that's fucking rad

Nobunny??? does anybody count him in this genre???...or Thomas Function???

also, I agree with The Hex Dispensers from Mike

There's a 14 (?) volume set that this guy compiled, called "Lux & Ivy's Favorites." It features any and all songs mentioned by either of them in any interview. Lots of them can be found on the "Songs the Cramps Taught Us" comps, but there's sooooo much more. You can torrent them, or find them on Soulseek. They had 'em on the WMFU blog for a while, too.

Edit: The WFMU blog has the first 11 volumes - http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2009/02/lux-and-ivys-favorites-mp3s.html