Shit on bands here

i honestly think i'll sell my turntable before i buy an "ambient" album

That's a tremendous loss on your end, but it is what it is. Arguing that music is anything other than sounds - regardless of melody, rhythm, vocals, etc. - is pretty silly as well. It's not for everyone, but I guess that's why we have a neverending line of Blink-182 represses in production.

The instrumental folks seem to really seem to really have this chip on their shoulder that they have to defend their whole genre every time someone disparages it

Honestly its probably because it seems to be one of the most put down genres, especially by people who don't take the time to even try. 

I'm not much of a fan of instrumental music but I can appreciate it's value. I'm sure it's just really fucking annoying to watch something you enjoy get teared down for no apparent reason. Constantly.

If you like something, you generally want to defend it. 

The instrumental folks seem to really seem to really have this chip on their shoulder that they have to defend their whole genre every time someone disparages it

It's just hilarious to see people (attempt to) shit on entire genres they're not familiar with, while openly rocking NOFX and Green Day as they age into adulthood.  This is obviously a "shit on bands" thread... so when the shit hits the fan and someone shits on a genre, I figure that's the cue to begin the real shit-fest.  (At which point I'm just shitting on other people's shitty opinions – which is actually different than rushing in to defend my own tastes.)

I recall you being pretty salty when Godspeed won the letter F in the Alphabet / Best Album thread, so, yeah... we've all had this debate several times over.  I remember it well.  But like Logan said, it's too easy to punch holes in the logic of posts that write off "instrumental music" as one genre (that sucks), when in truth the author (typically) doesn't have a clue.  Post-rock ≠ post-metal ≠ ambient ≠ electronic ≠ drone ≠ minimal ≠ classical ≠ ...you get the idea.  Saying "no words, no care" is an opinion, sure.  And you're welcome to embrace it.  But it's a pretty naïve one, and I have no problem ridiculing it.  At the end of the day it's your loss, and nothing I say will change your stance.  And more importantly, there's nothing wrong with that.  There's no gun to your head or pressure to enjoy instrumental acts, and I don't rely on praising them to put food on my table.  It just is what it is.  I guess I just enjoy the banter, and imagining how restricted other folks' music libraries must be.  Perspective is fun.

[edit]

Oh, and to clarify – like any other genre of music, there are of course bad (and awful) examples of all the above genres that I'm "defending".  Just to be clear.  I hope my post didn't come off as instrumental music being infinitely superior to your "typical" rock band... because there is, of course, both phenomenal and horrible artists in all genres.  Recording your refrigerator in various pitches for 8 minutes a piece doesn't constitute a drone album, for example.  (Though if it does, that's a shitty one.)  I've sifted through a lot of boring or forgettable, or outright mundane instrumental acts in my never-ending quest for quality ones, but that's how you find the gems.  And for me, personally, the shit-to-quality ratio seems to be far less steep with instrumental groups compared to more traditional ones.  I haven't really encountered an ambient album that's made me cringe, or a post-rock record that's disgusted me at the core.  Can't say the same for select metal, indie, or rock records.

I think what's cool about ambient/minimal/electronic is that it's surprisingly hard to craft music without a beat or rhythm, it's all very organic to me and I love to compare it to nature and it's chaotic and random sounds, almost like it has a life of its own and its own story to tell. But that's just me, I like to hear why people don't like things, as long as they give some defense to it, that's really what this thread is for, talking shit on bands and genres, but also giving reasons why, and some people defend it, etc. The banter is fun. 

I think what's cool about ambient/minimal/electronic is that it's surprisingly hard to craft music without a beat or rhythm, it's all very organic to me and I love to compare it to nature and it's chaotic and random sounds, almost like it has a life of its own and its own story to tell. But that's just me, I like to hear why people don't like things, as long as they give some defense to it, that's really what this thread is for, talking shit on bands and genres, but also giving reasons why, and some people defend it, etc. The banter is fun. 

To add to that, a really good ambient album is also like a bit of a palette cleanser for me.  I'll go through a phase where I listen to quite a bit of drone and minimal or classical ambient, and it helps me appreciate the "kick" and active musicianship that a lot of my normal favorites practice.

It's just hilarious to see people (attempt to) shit on entire genres they're not familiar with, while openly rocking NOFX and Green Day as they age into adulthood.  This is obviously a "shit on bands" thread... so when the shit hits the fan and someone shits on a genre, I figure that's the cue to begin the real shit-fest.  (At which point I'm just shitting on other people's shitty opinions – which is actually different than rushing in to defend my own tastes.)

I recall you being pretty salty when Godspeed won the letter F in the Alphabet / Best Album thread, so, yeah... we've all had this debate several times over.  I remember it well.  But like Logan said, it's too easy to punch holes in the logic of posts that write off "instrumental music" as one genre (that sucks), when in truth the author (typically) doesn't have a clue.  Post-rock ≠ post-metal ≠ ambient ≠ electronic ≠ drone ≠ minimal ≠ classical ≠ ...you get the idea.  Saying "no words, no care" is an opinion, sure.  And you're welcome to embrace it.  But it's a pretty naïve one, and I have no problem ridiculing it.  At the end of the day it's your loss, and nothing I say will change your stance.  And more importantly, there's nothing wrong with that.  There's no gun to your head or pressure to enjoy instrumental acts, and I don't rely on praising them to put food on my table.  It just is what it is.  I guess I just enjoy the banter, and imagining how restricted other folks' music libraries must be.  Perspective is fun.

[edit]

Oh, and to clarify – like any other genre of music, there are of course bad (and awful) examples of all the above genres that I'm "defending".  Just to be clear.  I hope my post didn't come off as instrumental music being infinitely superior to your "typical" rock band... because there is, of course, both phenomenal and horrible artists in all genres.  Recording your refrigerator in various pitches for 8 minutes a piece doesn't constitute a drone album, for example.  (Though if it does, that's a shitty one.)  I've sifted through a lot of boring or forgettable, or outright mundane instrumental acts in my never-ending quest for quality ones, but that's how you find the gems.  And for me, personally, the shit-to-quality ratio seems to be far less steep with instrumental groups compared to more traditional ones.  I haven't really encountered an ambient album that's made me cringe, or a post-rock record that's disgusted me at the core.  Can't say the same for select metal, indie, or rock records.

how did we get from ambient to instrumental, I've listened to BBNG and other such instrumental bands. Let me be clear its not instrumental its ambient, also i've (pun intended) burnt out on gd and can't haven't spun dookie in months.

the reason i don't like ambient is because it's not the reason i listen to music. I think its cool that its there and stuff,and since i'm just a casual who likes punk and shit,the nature of ambient is the whole other end of relativity fast punk. the only remotely experimental band i care for (besides the vc required BBNG and swans) is mr.bungle,and when the go off and do a song that's mostly noise,i end up skipping it. i don't know why people are getting so pissy because i said i didn't like the whole genre of ambient. did you want to me list of particular artists?i don't care for any of it. why does it matter do you know how much shit i got through for liking pop-punk. back to the main point is that ambient doesn't do anything for me. i've got friends on different sites who dig the stuff,and honestly i'd rather listen to something else. i don't think your an idiot or have no taste if you like ambient, I just can never see myself listening to it on my own will.

and well said derek 

/end rant

Yeah we were talking ambient, not instrumental, there is some overlap, but they are not intrinsically bound together.  Instrumental music is not a genre in itself, it can encompass many different genres.  Ambient, post-rock, metal, noise-rock, math-rock, jazz, etc.  Also, ambient music is not necessarily instrumental.  You could make an ambient album using nothing but the human voice as the sole 'instrument'.

On the subject of Green Day, there's a band worth shitting on.  Ever since they all started wearing eyeliner their "music" took a huge dive.

It's just hilarious to see people (attempt to) shit on entire genres they're not familiar with, while openly rocking NOFX and Green Day as they age into adulthood. 

This kinda kills the whole point of your edit though, you are acting like what you like is better/more sophisticated/smarter than others.

I listen to tons of punk too, but it really has no bearing on my ability to access other types of music, and I think the reason Derek made that comparison is because NOFX and Green Day was cool when in your teen years and its kind of confining to have not branched out in a decade. 

I listen to tons of punk too, but it really has no bearing on my ability to access other types of music, and I think the reason Derek made that comparison is because NOFX and Green Day was cool when in your teen years and its kind of confining to have not branched out in a decade.

NOFX is cool because I am in my teen years, so maybe I'm too young to understand ambient, but not every one is going to actively look for and listen to music without melody.