Shit on bands here

Seriously, I agree with you. If I like a band, I don't care what people call them.

I just don't like when a band defines themselves as something that specific. It's limiting their audience, almost like they only want to exist to repeat what people have already done. 

Like a cover band, kinda.

I've had friends try to push them on me, and just can't get into it. Seems crazy to detest it so strongly.. It's so basic.

But I saw them at govball last year and their live set was decent.

Seriously, I agree with you. If I like a band, I don't care what people call them.

I just don't like when a band defines themselves as something that specific. It's limiting their audience, almost like they only want to exist to repeat what people have already done. 

Like a cover band, kinda.

Emo isn't that specific, there's like 10 subgenres to it. To be honest I think it's even worse, if something's classified as pop, rock or something else generic.

Emo isn't that specific, there's like 10 subgenres to it. To be honest I think it's even worse, if something's classified as pop, rock or something else generic.

But "emo" has much more specific stereotypes associated with it than pop or rock. If you say your favorite genre of music is emo, then people will label you as a weird, depressed freak. If you say your favorite music is pop or rock, people will think you're normal.

But "emo" has much more specific stereotypes associated with it than pop or rock. If you say your favorite genre of music is emo, then people will label you as a weird, depressed freak. If you say your favorite music is pop or rock, people will think you're normal.

Or you could not care about other people's judgement of you and do and like what you're happy with. :/

Or you could not care about other people's judgement of you and do and like what you're happy with. :/

I doubt many on this board would disagree with you here. That wasn't the point though. The question is about how certain genre labeling is very limiting. Emo typically puts a band in a very narrow box. Rock and pop do not.

But bands despised being thrown into the emo camp, until the emo revival come along. Now's everyone's emo.

I wouldn't be upset with somebody calling a band emo. It's just a genre. But when a band calls themselves emo, it's like they're aming for a niche, or attempting to appeal to a specific crowd. It's just dumb to me. Just make fucking music and let other people decide what it is. 

Nah emo is pretty diverse. Fugazi sounds nothing like Empire! Empire!

A lot of people use emo as a pejorative term but those people are lame and probably cops.

IS FUGAZI EMO OR POST-HARDCORE FUCKING IAN MACKAYE

On Alt-J: Fucking awful. Along with Broken Bells, and Black Keys. The shithead producer for Broken Bells has been shitting his shitty production all over other bands lately, so it all sounds the fucking same now. Not that it was good to begin with, anyway. 

This fucking neo-pseudo-indie rock cockshit makes me so mad. You're not fucking "indie" if you have to tell people you're fucking "indie."

Indie Rock, Alt, Pop Punk, Power-Pop, Hardcore, something a little less pretentious and broad.

To me, Indie Rock and Alternative are the two most annoying ways to describe your band.  Technically, I'm sure that garbage like Brokencyde is "alternative" in that it isn't mainstream pop or rock.  Indie implies some sense of "independent/DIY" which is kinda disingenuous when you're describing things like Death Cab or Modest Mouse.   I feel like the issue with being described as emo is more in the "I think this band is jumping on the revival bandwagon" and less in the "I don't like that they classify their music that way."

I also feel like we're getting out of the phase where emo was a dirty word, so I'm cool with it.