Sketchiness from Virgil Dickerson / Suburban Home?

Most grossly false statement of the thread. No male JS cast member has ever hit a woman. The guys have fought, and the girls have fought. Snooki getting punched in the first season by a man was by a bar random.

Thanks for clarifying that. I dont watch the show, and saw that clip about 1000 times and they made it seem like it was a cast member that decked her.

Ha. yeah, I was just joking around (if it wasn't clear). The tabloids figured out who the guy was. I think it was some high school gym teacher in New York. Probably gonna be the moment that defines his life for the next 10 years.

Skimmed this thread, but here's info:

• Virgil/Vinyl Collective still owes Magic Bullet Records $754.78 USD.

• Steve - talk to Austin Lucas about the sketchiness. He's a friend of mine and I've released two records for him. I know he had the same experience with test presses (seeing them on eBay, never receiving personal copies). Last we talked SH/VC, royalties were non-existant (in spite of Virgil posting about the album charting, represses, etc.) and Virgil was maintaining that the records hadn't made money. This is asinine because, since I did two of Austin's records, I have a gauge on how much iTunes business he does... thus, there's absolutely no fucking way "Somebody Loves You" et al didn't go well into the black... especially when looking at physical scans and the vague little Excel sheet sent over as "expenses."

Either way, dude's hiding and ducking from people and there's a reason. People who did and do the right thing tend not to just disappear after creating something of that magnitude.

p.s. A lot of the reason we were able to lower what Virgil owes us was because we took stock in from him against the outstanding balance. In fact, there were at least two occasions where Virgil was unable to provide Austin with copies of his "Somebody Loves You" album for various tours he was about to embark on. Magic Bullet literally gave Austin our copies that we received in trade from Virgil just so that Austin could have copies of "Somebody Loves You" on the table.

First instance was on the Revival tour where we brought him over 50 copies of the LP and at least 30 copies of the CD at the Richmond just so that he'd have it on that massive, massive tour. Why SH/VC was unable to supply him with copies for such a large tour is indicative of why they aren't around anymore.

Second time was when Austin stopped in Fredericksburg on a tour with Christina Wagner. He stopped by our store/stock warehouse and we gave him literally every copy we had out of the back room and in the bins... both on CD and LP... because Virgil has stopped even responding to him during that period.

I'm trying to remember the third time, but my memory is foggy. It's tough to recall because we never invoiced Austin for his SH/VC records. We just felt so bad for how hard he was getting fucked over that we just gave him a hug and boxes of records and sent him along his way.

for the sake of other people, i certainly hope hes not allowed to make financial decisions at illegal petes or this greater than collective (whatever it may entail). he claims in 2008 that VC grossed roughly a million dollars. how on earth can you possibly fuck that up!?

(yes, i am aware of the difference between gross vs. net)

My personal opinion, the people that should absolutely have been paid back already were the people who spent $1k on the SH lifetime subscription. It's hard to say that one wrong is worse than another, but distros owed money is business. Maybe the companies can even write off loses and save a little loot. The individuals who loved SH/VC enough to pony up $1k and then the company was defunct a couple months later just seem more wronged in my head. Luckily, I don't think there were a lot but that doesn't matter for the few that did.

i completely disagree. The people who spent the 1K did so willingly and took a chance that didnt pan out. You dont get refunds when you make an investment in a company that goes bankrupt a few months later. If you are stupid enough to invest in a sinking ship, and you lose your money, thats your own fault.

Thats a far different story than taking peoples merchandise and promising to pay for it, and then essentially stealing it all. Or not following through on contracts/agreements, etc.

If Virgil hadn't allocated money towards his craft beer obsession/tours I wouldn't dislike the dude too bad. His biggest problem was pressing all of these relatively unknown bands. He had a fairly good run and put out some good releases during his tenure, primarily MTB and PTM releases, and who can forget the SHOTGUNATOR!

for the sake of other people, i certainly hope hes not allowed to make financial decisions at illegal petes or this greater than collective (whatever it may entail). he claims in 2008 that VC grossed roughly a million dollars. how on earth can you possibly fuck that up!?

This bloooooows my mind.

Assume that he marked up every record he sold by 100%, and that leaves $500,000 net income. Factor in employees (of which he had a dozen or so at his biggest time), packaging materials, advertising, marketing, creative/art, overhead (electricity, heat, rent, internet, etc.) and the cost of actually manufacturing vinyl records, too, and that money is gone faster than you can blink. And that's assuming he did a 100% markup, which he most definitely did not do.

I work for a small company that grosses millions of dollars a year. Our net is significantly lower than that.

i think thats the point though. OBVIOUSLY those things ate into the profit margin. But his point was that if you are a company that is pulling in a million dollars in a year, and you are walking away with nothing (with less than nothing actually.......in the hole with a huge negative balance), then by all accounts, you are fucking up somewhere.

Just because your company makes a million in a year does NOT mean that you are a millionaire, by any means. But it does mean that your company should be able to not go into debt over 50 and 100 dollar (or even 500-1000) payments here and there.

Vinyljunkie, you have convinced me to retract my earlier statement and say everyone is equally owed. The investment analogy is true, but clearly key information about the investment was held out. We aren't talking about someone investing in penny stocks hoping to get rich (where the risks are known and agreed to by the purchaser), it is closer to Bernie Madoff.

Someone want to report Virgil to the SEC?

Scott, would you like my personal information, and emails I traded back and forth with Andy, to help illustrate to you how a general patron like myself, was shafted and ignored. Like I said earlier, my loss is minimal compared to some of the other companies and patrons that were ripped off, and unfortunately I'm not a financial success story thats going to be on Forbes magazine. There for I'm not in the position to hand out $50.00 over to anyone, with nothing in return.

And for you to post about the dudes personal problems, as it should make us show some kind of sympathy ? We all have personal lives, and go through our own devastating events, so please refrain from the pity party attempt to ease tensions on Virgil. Basically your word at the end of the day is all you have, and Suburban Home Records owner Virgil can't even stand by that. So why the fuck are you in here trying to minimize and negate the destructive manner in which he handled his business, and clientele, regardless of the parameters, amount of cash that is due, or over all deceit he created.

But deathwish can just write it off right?

;)

Can they? I don't know. It would take a 100% loss and turn it into a 75% loss. If I were a distro owed money, I would try.

READING THIS THREAD HAS MADE ME HIT ALL CAPS AND I THINK I WILL LEAVE IT ON FOR THE DAY. YEAH, WE WERE OWED MONEY, AND WERE GETTING BRUSHED OFF, AND LIKE IT'S BEEN SAID, THAT WHOLE BEER TOUR THING REALLY SENT ME ALL KINDS OF OVER THE EDGE. YELLPOSTING ACTUALLY WORKED AND WE GOT OUR MONEY. SO THAT WAS COOL. IT WAS A WHILE AGO, I THINK IT WAS OVER THE COURSE OF A FEW MONTHS, BUT WE GOT IT.