So I rescued a cat..

Looking for advice perhaps.

There was this cat that lived by the docks near my office. I had seen it around for a while, and I took to feeding it, petting it, etc etc. It was very friendly to anyone it would come across, and I was told by someone that it should go to a nice home. Me being the animal person I am, deemed it right to do so. After a week or so, I was able to feed the cat, and put it in a carrier. As I put the cat in my car, this lady, who works by the docks, asked what I was doing. I told her I was taking the cat to the vet to get it examined, spayed/fixed, etc etc. I asked if it belonged to anyone, and multiple times she said "It lives in the shipyard, it belongs to the shipyard"

FF to today, the cat lives with my 88 year old grandmother, sleeps in her bed, gets fed and spoiled. BUT, there are now pictures of me saying "this guy steals cats, any info call (number)." The comedy is the picture they used of me is me, feeding it, go figure.

I have called my lawyer, as well as animal control. They basically said in short if she couldn't produce an owner, then I am in the right, as I have all its documentation and proof of treatments.

I would like to think I am not in the wrong? I also want to take those signs down as they are embarassing. thoughts? any experiences? advice?

Thanks

is this for real? you took in a feral. people do that all the time. good on you giving it a loving forever home. ignore the crazies. unless someone claims that it is their cat, and can prove so, then you're fine. that being said, depending on the by-laws where you live if that was to happen the owners could even be fined for allowing it to run at large.

is this for real? you took in a feral. people do that all the time. good on you giving it a loving forever home. ignore the crazies. unless someone claims that it is their cat, and can prove so, then you're fine. that being said, depending on the by-laws where you live if that was to happen the owners could even be fined for allowing it to run at large.

It was a stray cat yes. There was no owner she could produce.

You are in the right my man.

What you should do is take a picture of her and put up signs saying "This person abandons cats"

What is funny is someone suggest I do that.

My other ideas were to go to Sears with my Grandmother and said cat, take pictures for Easter and put them up everywhere.

Thanks people. Feel free to keep the advice coming.

I heard she called the police on me Saturday, telling the police the cat has been there for years, when its no older then 1.5-2 says the Vet.

You are in the right my man.

What you should do is take a picture of her and put up signs saying "This person abandons cats"

hahahaha this.

also, in most places it's illegal for you to let your cat run free outside for various reasons.

i'm pretty sure if they had a legal case against you, they would have taken that route already instead of going with the 'i'm going to post embarassing photos of you' route.

and yes, tear those signs down.

Assuming this is for real I agree you did the right thing. It is crazy you do something good and she is going crazy about it. Tell her to grow up and/or post flyers like tellallyourfriends suggested. Also where in the world is she posting them, like down at the docks lol?!?

There is a park near it, Seaport area of Boston.

Its on a tree and bench near a foodtruck. Just foolish

Take down the signs and use them in the cat's litter box (shredded, of course).

I wish, she is at my nana's now, about an hour away.

Shame on you for giving the cat a good home in a safe environment. Ha ha. Take down the signs and think nothing more of it. I've never chosen my own cat, they've always chosen me. Cats have a great sense of who they can trust and this cat obviously trusted you. Feel good you gave it a nice home - I have three former strays currently and they are incredibly loving members of our family.

Also - get the photo. When I commissioned an artist to paint a portrait of my wife and I as if we are in a kids book (her doctorate is in Kids Lit), I had him include our then four cats with us. It was a family portrait. I need to post a photo - it makes everyone smile. So go for it.

Fuck those people. Good for you doing what you did, if these people really gave a shit about the cat they would have gotten him/her neutered or spayed by now rather than letting it run about making hundreds of kittens.

It's strange you posted this because my girlfriend and i are in a similar situation with a stray cat that we see every day at the end of our road, he's super happy and friendly and gets spoiled rotten by the shopkeepers who bring him inside on cold mornings and feed him. A few of them even have a cushion inside their doors for him to sit on. We're still trying to figure out whether we should take him to see a vet to at least get a check up and make sure someone's already done the responsible thing and gotten rid of his swingers. We're not in any rush, though, but i'm gonna talk to the guys in the shop to see what the deal is. In the mean time we've named him Fred.

good choice on saving it. my girlfriend's family saved a cat in a similar situation to yours, but there were no records at the SPCA or anything or a collar so it was all legal.

also, couldn't you get that lady in some serious trouble for slander? or at least have your lawyer send a cease and desist letter threatening legal action

Thanks all, I have the picture on my computer, but am posting ignorant, but yeah I can throw it up if someone can tell me how, obviously I will edit out the # but i'll post it regardless. She should be getting a nice phone call or 3 today which I think will be comical. All this fuss over a cat she didn't want to take care of.

Glad everyone has my corner, unfortunately to take her to court would run me more than I would get out of it. Luckily the weather has been in my corner and blown some of the signs down and things like that. The first day was shitty, but now its the joke in the office, so it is all good. Once this is all done though I feel I am gonna report this lady to her superior and whatever else I can do. Thank you all for the support, When I can grab a picture of my nana and said cat Ill throw it on here.