next time you want to release that 12+ minute 7"

consider doing a one-sided 12"

a long (anything over 10 minutes, really) 7" is prone to:

-surface noise

-skating

-increased susceptibility to wow/more pronounced warble when and if the record warps

you could be doing a one-sided 12", which at 45, could easily hold 12+ minutes, and could hold almost twice that at 33. you'd only have to pay half the normal cutting/plating costs. the per record pressing price will be higher, but the amount saved on lacquers and stampers should offset that for any run 500 or less. for runs over that many, you just have the increased fidelity of a 12", but i'd say it's well worth it.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No sarcasm, Im not a big fan of 7"s at all. Id always prefer a 12" over a 7".

same with Travis... not a fan of 7 inches really. i'll purchase a 12"...or a 10" for that matter any day over a 7".

for instance, SST has pressed several 7"s on 10" format... such as Minutemen's Paranoid Time.... I'll put out the extra dolares for them 10 inches.

my 7" collection is rather... minute, in comparison to my 12"s....

I prefer the 12" treatment too because A - it sounds better because you can press it at 45, and B - also, you don't have to flip after 2 songs! But why does this guy think that pressing a 12" is cheaper than pressing a 7"? I know you'd only have to worry about plates and everything for 1 side instead of 2, but still. Confusing.

Well you only have to pay for one side of mastering, and plating is only one side also, that cuts your setup cost in half.

Seems like it equals out and a one sided LP ends up being only a tad bit more than a double sided 7". But yeah the packaging and shipping cost's I guess kind of void out the saved money. I was curious how a 1 sided 10 or 12 would be recieved. I have a 10.5 minute record, me and a band have been pondering whether to cut one of the 2 minute tracks off, and doing a 7" at 4:30 or so per side, or doing a one sided LP. I know how picky people are nowdays, and whether they would feel jipped by having a blank side. But's it's also a metal record, and 10 minutes on a 45 12" would be nice and loud! As opposed to a quieter 7".

But yeah, jesus christ, 12 minutes per side on a 7"! I can't imagin that sounds much better than a flexi or something. I can imagine the needle just skating across the side, with such thin grooves. nuts

consider doing a one-sided 12"

a long (anything over 10 minutes, really) 7" is prone to:

-surface noise

-skating

-increased susceptibility to wow/more pronounced warble when and if the record warps

you could be doing a one-sided 12", which at 45, could easily hold 12+ minutes, and could hold almost twice that at 33. you'd only have to pay half the normal cutting/plating costs. the per record pressing price will be higher, but the amount saved on lacquers and stampers should offset that for any run 500 or less. for runs over that many, you just have the increased fidelity of a 12", but i'd say it's well worth it.

first of all, you arent taking into account all the other costs associated with a 12" vs. a 7". everything is a lot more expensive, the jackets, shipping, etc.

next, the fidelity issue is only going to matter with certain kinds of music where that kind of thing actually matters.

the solution is for the band to cut a song or two. not to press it on a stupid one sided 12"