adopting a cat...

i back getting two and whatever you do, DON'T DE-CLAW. In my opinion, it is cruel and i believe it affects the physical structure of their feet. Buy corner protectors for your couches and chairs and spray them with a squirt bottle of water if they scratch where they shouldn't.

Oh, and covered litter boxes are where it's at. Cuts down on the smell immensely.

Someone at my work is trying to give 2 cats, a male and a female, to a good home. Both are de-clawed and spayed/neutered. My wife won't let me, though

De-clawing is a fucking horrific thing to do to your cat, did this woman rescue those cats in that state or did she get it done to them?

sometimes cats have such immense behavioural issues that declawing is the only option. that was the case with one of my cats. she went apeshit when she was about 4 months old and would come out of no where and take a huge slice out of your leg while you were sitting at the dinner table. if the claws didn't go we would've had to give her up and she likely would've been deemed "unadoptable" and put down. 8 years later, she's no worse the wear for it. that being said, my little boy cat has all his nails and is such a sweet guy. if it can be avoided, it should be. but sometimes its necessary. and saving your couch does not fall under necessary.

so my girlfriend and i are looking to adopt a cat. i havent had a pet since i was a kid and have no idea what to expect pricewise as far getting all the initial vet stuff done. what should i do/expect if i got a kitten that was born a month ago from a friend ?

a 1 month old kitten should not be away from its mother. it should be at least 8 weeks old before you get it. as someone mention it is cheaper to neuter a male than it is to spay a female but vet costs vary greatly from state to state. call around to some local vets and ask for estimates. your looking at at least a few hundred bucks for the fixing and vaccinations. a few more if you declaw. but dogs are way better.

declawing a cat is like cutting off the ends of your fingers. it's super fucked up. and it is their only way of defending themselves.

i got my guy nibbler up to date on his shots last month and it was about $90 even for the visit/examination/rabies vaccination. totally don't remember how much it was to neuter him. this is durham though, probably more expensive in atlanta.

it's kind of a long story but i got him when he was about a month old. if your kitten starts to pee or poop where it shouldn't, just quick stick him in the litter. they usually figure it out pretty quick. and yeah get a covered litterbox, indoor cat food causes some foul fuckin odors.

and actually getting two isnt a bad idea. then they always have each other.

i've always taken the front claws out. no more jump+cling to furniture or my legs or tearing shit up. its definitely pretty sad to do, but beneficial in the long run.

If you decide to get a cat then you're going to have to put up with a few pulls on the couch cover and the odd scratch, just deal with it.

I also suggest you read up a bit on de-clawing because actually the benefits are non-existant unless the cat requires the procedure for medical reasons. As sjb2k1 said above me, it's the equivalent of cutting off your fingers at the first knuckle, it makes them unable to defend themselves, unable to climb or run properly, it affects their balance, leads to tendonitis and (hilariously for those who think this is an acceptable way to save their furniture and carpets) leads to other behavioral issues like going to the toilet outside their box. I can't believe it's not illegal in the US, it is everywhere else.

declawing a cat is like cutting off the ends of your fingers. it's super fucked up. and it is their only way of defending themselves.

This.

Alright I need to rant a little.

No one should ever need to de-claw a cat. Ever. When cats scratch their claws they are basically stretching all the muscles in their body including their hearts. Without claws they cannot do this and tend to live shorter lives. Three points about cat care I've learned from experience:

1. If a cat is tearing up your furniture, you haven't provided enough scratching posts (both vertical and horizontal ones, multiple sets of each near the furniture so they can have an alternative to the couches, etc.). They will NOT scratch your furniture if provided proper alternatives. Cats have the ability to extend and retract their claws, so they know exactly when they are clawing at your couch or delicately walking across your lap. But scratching is something they NEED to do for their health, watching a cat helplessly try to scratch something without claws is one of the saddest things I've seen in my time.

2. If that cat is being wild and scratching your legs up then you haven't properly exercised the cat's natural hunting energy that they build up throughout the day (playing with various cat toys, fake mice, toys on strings... CATS NEED TO HUNT, PERIOD and they simply can't do the same kind of "hunting" if the nails are gone). Also, they need their nails trimmed regularly. Far more than dogs. Doing it more also gets them used to it so they aren't as hostile during the process.

3. Cats also need to be elevated with proper shelving throughout the house for them to jump up on. The more the better. If they are trapped on the ground and relegated to hiding in confined spaces in order to feel superior, they will build up negative energy and exert that on the owner. If the cat is still wild after all this then you still haven't played with it enough or shown it the kind of attention it is looking for.

The one fail safe for almost any out of control cat I've met is a laser pointer. It's the most effective way to get them to run laps around the house and burn off their energy. Just make sure to give them a nice mouse toy to play with so they can complete their natural hunting process after "the chase" has concluded.

If you don't want to do any of the steps above on a regular (daily) basis then in my humble opinion you should not get a cat. And if you consider tearing a cat's claws out as an easy way out of what cats need to do naturally, then in my humble opinon, you should have the tips of your fingers cut off. Don't worry, it's only the equivalent of cutting down to the first knuckle. ;)

I've got three cats, I've had as many as five at one time. I recommend the number two. I can't say no to strays who take to me. I recommend adopting either adolescent or adult cats, you'll know their personality and you will be doing a solid since they are harder to find homes for.

Either way, all the dog talk is dumb. A dog is worse than a ball and chain, you can't even leave town for a day without making arrangements. A cat can be cool for a few days before someone needs to check in on them. (I love both actually, I just fell in with cats after they kept adopting me in Brooklyn).