Record Store day sucks ass.

How did they determine this?

I haven't had a chance to talk with him about it yet but they were significantly older (60s) than most people in line that early, they had printed out lists of all the releases they kept flipping through... I asked Tom (another employee) and he said "Come on, man, it was obvious!"

If he gives me any more specifics that tipped him off tomorrow then I'll post about it again. He came out after doing it and made an announcement that ebayers would not be tolerated.

Thats ridiculous. I was like number 5 in line last year and the first few dudes were in their 40s and 50s to get the phish records as well as third man releases. having a list just makes you prepared and profiling is wrong...

The only problem I have is how many stores get like 1 copy of a record. I'm not going to buy something else because I didn't buy that one. It just wastes my time and the stores. I understand that some releases are kept rare and there are a lot of stores out there, but when I have to travel a distance only to hear the store got two copies of a larger release.. it bums me out. Especially when the store tells me they got it in the night before but wont give numbers. #firstworldproblems

I'll say that today I had a ton of fun.

Strolled into Record Theatre in University Plaza at 9, then realized they opened at 10 so I got tea and a bagel from Tim Hortons. I returned at 10 and walked into a bit of a frenzy, but was able to grab just about everything I was looking for. In line, I decided to text a friend and ask if she wanted to come out. I went home and played one record, then she showed up and we went down to the original Record Theatre.

There, the RSD stuff was pretty picked-clean, but they had their back "magic room" open. It was amazing. There was a whole area I never knew existed which is like a staging ground or sorting room / stock room. While wandering around in there, where you have to show them whatever you find and they price it if it hasn't been priced yet, an employee showed me ANOTHER back room, which was like... crumbling insulation and no lights. It was they're misc. piles of whatever for dirt cheap. In these back rooms I found so much entertaining stuff for as little as 79 cents at times. I found two 45s that are just Buffalo Sabres highlights from the mid-70s. I can't wait to listen to them! After that, I made it over to Spiral Scratch where I picked up a couple classic albums I've been searching for but could never find a quality copy of. Got it, finally.

This is the first RSD I really got into. I participated in the last two years, but last year I forgot it was RSD until like 2pm and missed most of it, and the year before I didn't really know what I was looking for and went home with very little.

I haven't had a chance to talk with him about it yet but they were significantly older (60s) than most people in line that early, they had printed out lists of all the releases they kept flipping through... I asked Tom (another employee) and he said "Come on, man, it was obvious!"

If he gives me any more specifics that tipped him off tomorrow then I'll post about it again. He came out after doing it and made an announcement that ebayers would not be tolerated.

Thats ridiculous. I was like number 5 in line last year and the first few dudes were in their 40s and 50s to get the phish records as well as third man releases. having a list just makes you prepared and profiling is wrong...

I'm sure there was more to it than that--I'm not saying those are the reasons they got kicked out. Like I said, I haven't spoken to him about what happened, I was just describing what I observed. Sandy is a good dude and wouldn't kick anyone out unless it was warranted.

For me, RSD is about going to a physical store and buying a few records, regardless of if they are RSD exclusive or not. RSD is not about overpriced crap.

In any case I had an enjoyable RSD:

Coliseum - "Goddamage" (og 12" version)

Racebannon - "Acid or Blood"

You and I - "The First Seven Inch"

Converge/Playing Enemy/Coalesce - "Black on Black" comp

Got them all for reasonable prices from Long in the Tooth (~$32 after tax). Pretty happy with all four of the records.

For me, RSD is about going to a physical store and buying a few records, regardless of if they are RSD exclusive or not. RSD is not about overpriced crap.

Got them all for reasonable prices from Long in the Tooth (~$32 after tax). Pretty happy with all four of the records.

funny I was there today too and was laughing in my head on their pricing for typical flea market fair ($6-8 for things that should cost $2-3 at most).

It was the first time I got to really spend some serious time looking through things there (fwiw, the owner has an unusual way of handling RSD in that everything is behind the counter).. really great new release selection and mostly priced fairly. Spent about $65 there including the Upsetters Blackboard Jungle Dub 3x10. Stoked on that one.

funny I was there today too and was laughing in my head on their pricing for typical flea market fair ($6-8 for things that should cost $2-3 at most).

It was the first time I got to really spend some serious time looking through things there (fwiw, the owner has an unusual way of handling RSD in that everything is behind the counter).. really great new release selection and mostly priced fairly. Spent about $65 there including the Upsetters Blackboard Jungle Dub 3x10. Stoked on that one.

A lot of their 7"s are a bit overpriced as well as their new records, but they have good used LP prices. The owner is really cool and the store is within walking distance for me (well, anywhere is within walking distance in a city, but LitT is only about a 20 minute walk for me) so I support them when I can.

I'll say that today I had a ton of fun.

Strolled into Record Theatre in University Plaza at 9, then realized they opened at 10 so I got tea and a bagel from Tim Hortons. I returned at 10 and walked into a bit of a frenzy, but was able to grab just about everything I was looking for. In line, I decided to text a friend and ask if she wanted to come out. I went home and played one record, then she showed up and we went down to the original Record Theatre.

There, the RSD stuff was pretty picked-clean, but they had their back "magic room" open. It was amazing. There was a whole area I never knew existed which is like a staging ground or sorting room / stock room. While wandering around in there, where you have to show them whatever you find and they price it if it hasn't been priced yet, an employee showed me ANOTHER back room, which was like... crumbling insulation and no lights. It was they're misc. piles of whatever for dirt cheap. In these back rooms I found so much entertaining stuff for as little as 79 cents at times. I found two 45s that are just Buffalo Sabres highlights from the mid-70s. I can't wait to listen to them! After that, I made it over to Spiral Scratch where I picked up a couple classic albums I've been searching for but could never find a quality copy of. Got it, finally.

This is the first RSD I really got into. I participated in the last two years, but last year I forgot it was RSD until like 2pm and missed most of it, and the year before I didn't really know what I was looking for and went home with very little.

I was in that magic room today too! But I had to be at work so I couldn't look around much.

anyone that had a serious issue with RSD is out of there mind....why bash something that helps promote VINYL and independent stores...isnt that what we all love.....there is gonna be negatives with any system in any society! so give it a rest and like someone said...if you dont like RSD then stay away...and if you do have some fun and enjoy some cool releases that normally wouldnt have been released!!!!!

Oh and i picked up most of my 7's for around $4-6 and single LP's for about $15 and doubles for $20-25 - so seems normal to me! plus most stores discounted all there RSD titles and there used and some new vinyl too! 15% off store wide as well!

anyone that had a serious issue with RSD is out of there mind....why bash something that helps promote VINYL and independent stores...isnt that what we all love.....there is gonna be negatives with any system in any society! so give it a rest and like someone said...if you dont like RSD then stay away...and if you do have some fun and enjoy some cool releases that normally wouldnt have been released!!!!!

Oh and i picked up most of my 7's for around $4-6 and single LP's for about $15 and doubles for $20-25 - so seems normal to me! plus most stores discounted all there RSD titles and there used and some new vinyl too! 15% off store wide as well!

The problem with Record Store day is it mostly just drags you basement dwelling variant collectors out to buy some super limited crap to flip and do little else. The stores don't make money on RSD releases from what I understand. It basically promotes vinyl as the medium for total asshats (which is pretty accurate when i read some of the stuff that gets posted on this site).

The only problem I have is how many stores get like 1 copy of a record. I'm not going to buy something else because I didn't buy that one. It just wastes my time and the stores. I understand that some releases are kept rare and there are a lot of stores out there, but when I have to travel a distance only to hear the store got two copies of a larger release.. it bums me out. Especially when the store tells me they got it in the night before but wont give numbers. #firstworldproblems

So you are saying you will make a trip to a store, and then if they don't have whatever shitty rsd crap you wanted(which is totally out of their control, they usually just place orders and then get a fraction of what they asked for), you will basically boycott the store and go home empty handed? Your doing record store day right bro.

You guys wanna know what my record store day is? Of course you do, you all hang on my every word. Any time I have money in the bank and I have a break from actual expenses.

You guys wanna know what my record store day is? Any time I have money in the bank and I have a break from actual expenses.

Same with me. i have Record Store Day every week. i don't need overpriced 7"s to get me into my local stores.

Here is the story I got on the flippers, which were just the first two people, not four.

1. People behind them in line tipped off the staff that they were ebayers (no idea how they knew).

2. As soon as they came in, they grabbed baskets and split up, grabbing two of each release they came across, so they could exchange before checking out.

Those both kinda seem like they could be innocent enough, but here is where the bs alarm goes off:

3. Dude asks for the Gorillaz 10". Owner asks him to tell him something about Gorillaz or name a band member. Dude cannot do it.

4. Dude asks for Bonnie Prince Billy release. Owner asks him who or what Bonnie Prince Billy is. Dude says "What do you mean? They're a band."

5. Owner again presses dude to name someone in Gorillaz (if you are a fan enough that you camped out to get this, you should be able to do that. Hell I know nothing of this band and know Damon Albarn is in the band). Dude gets panicky and looks at his wife, she cannot answer either. "Uh... Will.I.Am?"

Owner promptly kicks them out, they don't argue, crowd erupts in applause.

Here is the story I got on the flippers, which were just the first two people, not four.

1. People behind them in line tipped off the staff that they were ebayers (no idea how they knew).

2. As soon as they came in, they grabbed baskets and split up, grabbing two of each release they came across, so they could exchange before checking out.

Those both kinda seem like they could be innocent enough, but here is where the bs alarm goes off:

3. Dude asks for the Gorillaz 10". Owner asks him to tell him something about Gorillaz or name a band member. Dude cannot do it.

4. Dude asks for Bonnie Prince Billy release. Owner asks him who or what Bonnie Prince Billy is. Dude says "What do you mean? They're a band."

5. Owner again presses dude to name someone in Gorillaz (if you are a fan enough that you camped out to get this, you should be able to do that. Hell I know nothing of this band and know Damon Albarn is in the band). Dude gets panicky and looks at his wife, she cannot answer either. "Uh... Will.I.Am?"

Owner promptly kicks them out, they don't argue, crowd erupts in applause.

Looks like next year they'll be doing a little homework.

Same with me. i have Record Store Day every week. i don't need overpriced 7"s to get me into my local stores.

QFT

THIS!!!

re: acquired tastes: if something tastes awful, I don't put it in my mouth a second time in hopes that I might maybe "acquire" the taste.

Does that mean you loved penis and semen right from the start?

LOL!

I'd agree for the most part, RSD sucks. The few stores around here that carry the releases mark them up ridiculously, and the quality is barely even worth a standard price. I went to 2 stores looking for the 3 records I wanted, went back to my apartment with a single 7" that I spent $9 on. Pressed paper thin, to boot.

The non-RSD section was fucked beyond recognition, too, so I didn't even bother doing my usual run through of the vinyl. Didn't have the patience.

So why didn't you buy other shit? Are you telling me you walked into 2 different record stores with money to spend ( because you wanted 3 over priced RSD items) and instead of spending some of that money on non rsd stuff and actually helping out a store you just sulked and went home? That's lame dude.

Not only did I spend about 170 on records yesterday buying 1 RSD 7" (the scientists 7" that i didnt even know was being released) a bunch of used (where stores make good mark up) and new LPs, I also did what makes this shit fun, I took a complete flyer on a record by a band called furious george and it was fucking terrible but the album art is hilarious and could end up on my wall or just as an amusing thing I flip past when I skim past the F section looking to a goodnight loving album.

You kids are spoiled by internet mail order, going to a record store doesn't even get your junk tingly any more.

So why didn't you buy other shit? Are you telling me you walked into 2 different record stores with money to spend ( because you wanted 3 over priced RSD items) and instead of spending some of that money on non rsd stuff and actually helping out a store you just sulked and went home? That's lame dude.

Not only did I spend about 170 on records yesterday buying 1 RSD 7" (the scientists 7" that i didnt even know was being released) a bunch of used (where stores make good mark up) and new LPs, I also did what makes this shit fun, I took a complete flyer on a record by a band called furious george and it was fucking terrible but the album art is hilarious and could end up on my wall or just as an amusing thing I flip past when I skim past the F section looking to a goodnight loving album.

You kids are spoiled by internet mail order, going to a record store doesn't even get your junk tingly any more.

Waiting in a line for over an hour to even get to the exclusive releases (which most likely won't be there by the time you are at the front of the line) most definitely doesn't get my junk tingly. Call me crazy but I'm probably not the only one who feels that way.

Yeah, I went to a record store on RSD with no intention of buying special RSD records, I just wanted to buy some new music, some old music and some stuff I had never heard.

If you guys didn't drop serious money or stand in line for hours to get those exclusive records, they might become a bit less exclusive and a bit more affordable.

I started buying records because a copy of out of step was 7.99 and the complete discog cd was like 21.99 at HMV, I have never stood in line waiting for a store to open ( one time I sat in a dudes car because I thought a store opened an hour earlier than it actually did on boxing day). Oh yeah and I never let some shitty record labels manipulate me by having SUPER LIMITED RELEASES one day a year.

Long story short, I am better than you :P