Official "Help Me Choose a Turntable" v.2.0 Thread

I rarely come into this thread but for those buying a first turntable, do yourself a favor and check Craigslist. You can get a killer deal on lightly used Technics or Denon turntables all the time. I just picked up two amazing Technics 1200's for $200 (for both). Amazing stereo gear is so cheap right now that I'm adding a couple set-ups around my house.

Welcome to your new addiction.

i just bought a DENON DP-35F direct drive, fully automatic tunrtable for $150 (from craigslist, actually). it came with the original packaging and the guy i bought it from was only the second owner. it's a beautiful piece of machinery.

what sort of receiver/speaker setup should i get for it? i'd like to get something on the lower end of the spectrum given the fact i don't have a lot of money to throw around right now.

what receivers are good for it, which ones should i avoid?

any help any one of you can give me would be awesome.

thanks.

I will never again underestimate 80's electronics. The old stereo type thing with a turntable on top of it I had been using forever was in the rain for over two days, and then after it dried for a day, I plugged it in, and it worked perfectly.

But I had the receiver my dad gave me last week, and an old Sony SP-LX160 or something or another and I wanted to test the receiver. It sounds great.

But I ordered a LP60 a few days ago, and it should be here by Monday. Then I'm gonna order the Shure M97xe here in the next month. So I'm pretty excited.

I will never again underestimate 80's electronics. The old stereo type thing with a turntable on top of it I had been using forever was in the rain for over two days, and then after it dried for a day, I plugged it in, and it worked perfectly.

But I had the receiver my dad gave me last week, and an old Sony SP-LX160 or something or another and I wanted to test the receiver. It sounds great.

But I ordered a LP60 a few days ago, and it should be here by Monday. Then I'm gonna order the Shure M97xe here in the next month. So I'm pretty excited.

you're going to order the m97xe to install on the LP60? not worth it. i don't even think that arm can accommodate that cartridge. that cartridge is more expensive on amazon than that table. if you're going to spend that much on the cartridge, you might as well get another table. that cart would much better suit the LP120.

I've heard of multiple people in this thread putting the M97xe on the LP60. And no, the LP60 is $79 plus $12 shipping (idk why, should be free shipping, which is what it says), and the M97xe is $65 with free shipping, I believe. And other sites sell it for $55. I have a tiny room, and I'm just looking for a starter table. I want something fully automatic, and there weren't that many options under $300 that I could buy new. I asked for suggestions and no one gave me any, and I've heard that the LP60 is a good starter table, so I got it. Maybe when I need something better, I'll upgrade, but for now, I think it'll be fine. I'm sure it's better than this Sony POS I'm using now.

i know the marantz 1090 came highly recommened early on in this thread, i just picked up a 1060 for a good price and havent hooked it up yet, has anyone used one of these?

I can't find my previous post on this, but I have a Marantz 1060 and am very happy with it. It's been completely restored and is hooked up to a pair of KLH Model 5s. It's a low power amp (30 watts I think) and you'll need an appropriate set of speakers. I have a Project Debut III fed into the photo input and it sounds great. Perfect for a small room or apartment (such as where I live).

I've heard of multiple people in this thread putting the M97xe on the LP60. And no, the LP60 is $79 plus $12 shipping (idk why, should be free shipping, which is what it says), and the M97xe is $65 with free shipping, I believe. And other sites sell it for $55. I have a tiny room, and I'm just looking for a starter table. I want something fully automatic, and there weren't that many options under $300 that I could buy new. I asked for suggestions and no one gave me any, and I've heard that the LP60 is a good starter table, so I got it. Maybe when I need something better, I'll upgrade, but for now, I think it'll be fine. I'm sure it's better than this Sony POS I'm using now.

The cart on the LP60 is not swappable. The arm doesn't even have an adjustable counterweight on it. It's advertised as having a replaceable stylus (needle). That's not the same as cartridge. The LP60 weighs 5.3 pounds according to Amazon. I would consider that table a piece of junk and a waste of money. But, if it works for you and you are happy, that is all that matters.

i know the marantz 1090 came highly recommened early on in this thread, i just picked up a 1060 for a good price and havent hooked it up yet, has anyone used one of these?

I can't find my previous post on this, but I have a Marantz 1060 and am very happy with it. It's been completely restored and is hooked up to a pair of KLH Model 5s. It's a low power amp (30 watts I think) and you'll need an appropriate set of speakers. I have a Project Debut III fed into the photo input and it sounds great. Perfect for a small room or apartment (such as where I live).

The KLH model 5s (along with models 6, 17 and 23) were great vintage bookshelf speakers and I bet they really sing with that Marantz 1060. They're not very efficient and tend to crave lots of power, but your 30 wpc should be totally fine for a small apartment, as long as you're not cranking them to ear-splitting levels.

You seem to be very happy with your set up, and in the end, that's all that counts. Of course, there are many people who would totally agree with you as well. Hell, I'd be stoked to have all that gear. If you ever change your mind and those speakers are in good condition, I guarantee you could sell them on craigslist of eBay in about 12 seconds. Same goes for the amp.

I see that you are in PC, FL so i took the liberty of looking up turntables on your craigslist. Man, sorry about that! I guess I'm just lucky here in the DC area. Our craigslist is great.

Yeah, I took a last stab at looking on CL before I ordered the LP60, and there was nooooothing.

I think the LP60 will suit my current needs just fine. When I have more money to spend, and a bigger place to fill with sound, I'll upgrade to something a lot nicer, but I read a lot of good reviews and such about it. I looked for something else that was fully automatic, and all I found in my price range was the Denon 29f, which had no reviews, the Denon USB200, which had bad reviews, and a Sony. I went with the LP60.

1060s are beautiful pieces of equipment. If you're discussing the integrated amp and not the turntable.

yes im referring to the amp. i have the cambridge 640p preamp, can i still run them together? and i was using some cheap sony speakers but am thinking on going with a pair of klipsch

and using the project debut III

i have the cambridge 640p preamp, can i still run them together? and i was using some cheap sony speakers but am thinking on going with a pair of klipsch

Sure you can, but honestly, if your marantz works as it should I don't see the 640p being an improvement over it's built in phono stage. With such a sweet sounding amp (the 1060 is one of my favourites from the 70s), you should really focus on finding a nice pair of speakers to go with it.

i have the cambridge 640p preamp, can i still run them together? and i was using some cheap sony speakers but am thinking on going with a pair of klipsch

Sure you can, but honestly, if your marantz works as it should I don't see the 640p being an improvement over it's built in phono stage. With such a sweet sounding amp (the 1060 is one of my favourites from the 70s), you should really focus on finding a nice pair of speakers to go with it.

well i have it already cuz i was using a shitty sony amp so would using it together lessen the sound quality?

better speakers are definitely the next purchase

The KLH model 5s (along with models 6, 17 and 23) were great vintage bookshelf speakers and I bet they really sing with that Marantz 1060. They're not very efficient and tend to crave lots of power, but your 30 wpc should be totally fine for a small apartment, as long as you're not cranking them to ear-splitting levels.

You seem to be very happy with your set up, and in the end, that's all that counts. Of course, there are many people who would totally agree with you as well. Hell, I'd be stoked to have all that gear. If you ever change your mind and those speakers are in good condition, I guarantee you could sell them on craigslist of eBay in about 12 seconds. Same goes for the amp.

These were restored by the same guy who restored the 1060 (the owner of Magnetic Tape Recorder in Louisville). He resealed the cloth on the speakers. He also cleaned and recapped the crossovers. They sound great, unless I turn them up too loud (the amp isn't quite big enough).

The 1060 looks like new. He cleaned everything and put all new caps in it as well.

There's a local guy selling a 2270 on craigslist without a power button for $225. If he can prove it powers on, the inputs work and both channels play I'm gonna pick it up and have it restored.

I do believe it would be a decent starter table, as one should get something that is not very expensive until they are used to how fragile they can be. But, that cartridge is not meant to be upgradeable. there is a better stylus you can buy for it, but your stuck with that cartridge. which isn't a bad thing, because that tone arm wouldn't be able to translate the benefits of a better one anyway. I say enjoy it as is, save your money and when you're ready, get something better. you'll be really pleased when you do.

I have a GLI Turntable that I have been using since 2008. Very nice for the money. I paid $100 with shipping. Upgraded to a Pro Ject Debut III that should be here very soon. Has anyone else used the GLI? I would highly recommend it for a starter table. For $100 plus a nice receiver find and speakers from a thrift store you could have a very decent set up for about $200.

Buy it!

Even if you don't like the table, the Marantz name commands a lot of attention from collectors and if it is in fact in excellent condition, you could easily resell for $175, if not more. That's a great price. The fact that it comes with the original box is pretty sweet too.

If you're asking about the quality, I've never heard one but most people say it's a solid-to-good performer. On an aesthetic level, I personally think that it's a great-looking deck.

Basically, you could do a lot worse for $175. And as I mentioned before, as long as you keep it in good condition, you would have no problem reselling it somewhere down the line, if that's what you choose to do.

I believe that ajxd had a Marantz turntable. Maybe he has some advice.

I've actually had 6 Marantz tables! I tried a lot out, as well as rebuilt/sold em.

I did have that table. It was pretty nice. It has a few features I don't like but many people do; auto arm return, auto shut off, etc. Its a very to the point table. Easy controls. Out of the 6XXX line its probably my 3rd favorite. Its a solid deal for that price. Most people pay $100 for original boxes alone.

Get it. If you hate it, eBay it. The only thing I'd recommend is figuring out cartridge hours, and possible swapping the RCA cables. Most of the original cables suck after 30+ years.