PO: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten

Received mine today; I have a lot of mixed opinions on this record. Though I think it is amazing musically, and I don't think Brian has ever sounded better as a vocalist, I understand why everybody here is up in arms about the repetition of certain lyrical phrasing (blood, queen, youth, young, etc). I feel like this would be an absolute perfect record had Brian maybe experimented with different lyrical elements.

Also, I feel like it is far superior to American Slang as a whole, based on the musical composition, as well as the mixing. Throughout American Slang, Alex's guitar work almost sounded like a guy "jamming" over another band. His guitar work seemed as if somebody were noodling over a set of very well put together pop songs; whereas, Handwritten was a perfect mix of pop songs that blended together wonderfully.

Ignoring a certain cliche grouping of lyrics, this is an incredible album.

This is ok i guess, it sounds musically better than American Slang, and is mixed cleaner than any of their previous, I have the same problem with Handwritten as I had with American Slang though, just too many slower paced songs. They aren't as fun to listen to anymore. Nothing that demands you to really sing-a-long. To me this is just nice adult contemporary to play while doing something else.

It was a good album for sure, just it is typical GLA. 4 LPs and how many 7"s later...... sing about some girl, make reference to 80's pop lyrics, and speak in metaphors.

Overall the album is exactly what you expect from them, catchy songs, raspy voices, and overall just a good record.

Euro LP expected Aug 13th (we think there's no difference to the US LP)"

http://www.banquetrecords.com/tgah

This is bullshit. We're selling chocolate and vanilla. Now that both chocolate and vanilla are sold out we regret to inform you that our chocolate is actually white and it's vanilla flavored.

I'm hoping, and I'm fine with that being the case. But holy fuck, I'm going to be pissed if I open up the record and find out that I spent $30+ on something I already have.

Love the album, but I'm not goin' all pokemon on this shit to needlessly spend money THAT badly... (clarified as "that badly" for all the people who think variant collecting is stupid.)

This is bullshit. We're selling chocolate and vanilla. Now that both chocolate and vanilla are sold out we regret to inform you that our chocolate is actually white and it's vanilla flavored.

What exactly were you expecting? The entire time I've figured it would look just as the US press does, but pressed in Europe. Nothing has led me to believe otherwise.

What exactly were you expecting? The entire time I've figured it would look just as the US press does, but pressed in Europe. Nothing has led me to believe otherwise.

I would assume that if it were going to be identical to the US press it wouldn't anywhere near as limited as 500. Banquet stating that the Euro press being as limited as it was (compared to 10,000+ of the US press) led me to believe it'd be something different than what was available via standard retail.