How do I get the smell of smoke out of records?

I got some records from an eBay sale today and I opened up the box and was bowled over by the smell of cigarettes. I quit three years ago, and I never smoked inside, so my records never smelled like smoke. Is there a relatively easy way to get the smell out? It's not a huge deal, but if there's a quick fix I'd love to hear it.

I bought a few albums at a yard sale last summer and had the same issue. I replaced all the inner sleeves and let the jackets sit for a few days. I took the records and bent out wire hangers and hung them from the pin hole for a few days. I don't know if this would work for everyone and I certainly wouldn't do this with all my albums but there were old Crue, Maiden, Twister Sister, and some other metal/hair metal I wanted just to have. They still smell a bit but nothing like the old musty cigarette smell that initially came on them. A closet with some dryer sheets might also do the trick. Let me know what you try.

Getting rid of smoke smell is a bitch and is very hard to do (sometimes you just can't get rid of it).

One person already mentioned it, but definitely get rid of the old poly sleeves. Also, replace any of the generic inner sleeves.

Another thing that works a bit is a particular type of Lysol kitchen cleaner. It's the yellow type that has a lemon scent. Lightly spray some of it on a paper towel and lightly wipe the jacket. Be careful with matte, porous covers. Shiny, gloss covers can handle a bit more. Just make sure to never spray the shit directly onto the cover but I figure common sense should prevail there. I have found this helps a bit but it might not be full proof.

I never understand why people smoke inside their house/apartment. I'm a smoker and I would never dare smoke in my apartment. It's just too damn nasty.

Edit - I love the Fred Sanford/Redd Foxx avatar.

Hyde & Zeke, a long-running local record shop in Gainesville, used to have the wierdest smell in their used records. It was like incense. Not entirely bad, but distinctive. I once heard it was due to them being next door to a salon and that the smell came over from the hair dye and the like. I'm not sure what it was or when the last time I encountered the odor, but I have a suspicion it still lingers somewhere in my shelves.

Removing odor from record jackets and records may prove tricky. I suppose putting them in a drawer with cedar may help. Perhaps some kind of carbon filtration?

I think it has only happened once or twice, which is a pretty good track record, but I have encountered smoke residue in library books as well.

Hickey was the seller's name on ebay forgelli or something like that. I got a few LP's from him a few years ago and the were in decent shape but the LP's and the mailer (two pieces of cardboard taped together) absolutely WREAKED of cigarettes. LP jackets still have a musk.

I don't think that was his name, but I'll double check.

That drier sheet idea may work. I read wrapping them in newspaper for a bit may also work, since newspaper absorbes odors. It's worth a shot.

Guest realtalk

Air Sponge or other air purifier with charcoal... put it with the records into a contained space like a closet, leave space around them or shift them throughout the week or so.