Graphic Novels

I'm taking a class during the summer for school about graphic novels and comics. I really never read many graphic novels or comics before this class. I was wondering if anyone can steer me in the direction of some good ones that i can pick up to read in my free time once the summer class has ended. For the class i have so far read The Watchmen, Y: The Last Man, Persepolis, and La Perdida.

The "preacher" series was probably my favorite series.

I really like the "criminal" series by ed brubaker. Probably my favorite writer right now. It starts off slow, but once you get into it you just can't put it down.

Kirkman's "The Walking Dead" is a must, but i'm sure you knew that.

Sounds like a really cool class. wish I couldve taken something like that in college.

This sounds like an awesome class. Where are you going to college?

I read the first volume of The Boys by Garth Ennis recently and enjoyed it. I think that's either ending soon or has just ended. Brian K Vaughan (Y The Last Man) has a new series called Saga that's on it's 4th or 5th issue. I'm liking that one so far, too.

11 replies and nobody has mentioned Sandman, Bone or Miracleman. Shame on all of you! All essentials to anyone who is remotely interested in comics.

A few of my personal favorites that haven't been mentioned... Planetary, 100 Bullets, Asterios Polyp, Frank Miller's Daredevil, Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, Fables (and all the Fables spin-offs), League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (v1 & v2), Rex Mundi, Tomorrow Stories.

11 replies and nobody has mentioned Sandman, Bone or Miracleman. Shame on all of you! All essentials to anyone who is remotely interested in comics.

A few of my personal favorites that haven't been mentioned... Planetary, 100 Bullets, Asterios Polyp, Frank Miller's Daredevil, Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, Fables (and all the Fables spin-offs), League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (v1 & v2), Rex Mundi, Tomorrow Stories.

I don't know how I forgot Sandman. I've only read the first volume, but that one's great. I need to read the Daredevil and Swamp Thing ones you mentioned. I'm reading the New 52 Swamp Thing by Scott Snyder month to month now and really like that one, too.

Frank Miller's Daredevil stuff is just incredible. So are the Fables graphic novels. I only have the first few, but they're great.

• 5 months later...

Thread bump. Lets talk comics again!

I just read through the entirety of the Walking Dead comics and they are amazing. I love the show, but these are even better. What other comics or graphic novels are you reading?

On a side note... has anyone picked up the new Girl with a Dragoon Tattoo graphic novel that was released last month?

The "preacher" series was probably my favorite series.

I really like the "criminal" series by ed brubaker. Probably my favorite writer right now. It starts off slow, but once you get into it you just can't put it down.

Kirkman's "The Walking Dead" is a must, but i'm sure you knew that.

Sounds like a really cool class. wish I couldve taken something like that in college.

All of these, especially to the Preacher series.  Though it's not necessarily a graphic novel, you can find trades of the Maxx series, that shit was legit.  Also, the Marvel Zombies/Marvel vs Army of Darkness stuff wasn't too bad.