The Criterion Collection Thread (24 hour flash sale at criterion.com)

40 minutes ago, clerk3745 said:

I was surprised how much I like Inside Llewyn Davis, never been huge on the Cohen brothers but maybe it was the music or Oscar Isaac but I really loved that one.

yeah, same. i love that movie. never understood the hype for 'o brother' but i really liked 'no country' and 'fargo'.

15 hours ago, batman said:

yeah, same. i love that movie. never understood the hype for 'o brother' but i really liked 'no country' and 'fargo'.

I like the idea (modern take on the Odyssey) and the music but that one never hit home for me either. No Country was good and Raising Arizona is still funny (no matter how much I can't stand Cage) but Fargo... I've seen it twice and both times it ends and I think the same exact thing: "Thats its? Thats what everyone is peeing their pants about being soooo good?" I just don't get it. I'll try Blood Simple when it comes to criterion though because I'm a whore.

Anyway, I still got a few to preorder: Touch of Zen and Carnival of Souls. 

Also will probably get the blu only Zatoichi set when it comes out next sale and sell my current set. I HATE the box its in, it doesn't fit on any shelf and the dual format bullshit was a huge mistake IMO. 

Edited by clerk3745

4 hours ago, clerk3745 said:

I like the idea (modern take on the Odyssey) and the music but that one never hit home for me either. No Country was good and Raising Arizona is still funny (no matter how much I can't stand Cage) but Fargo... I've seen it twice and both times it ends and I think the same exact thing: "Thats its? Thats what everyone is peeing their pants about being soooo good?" I just don't get it. I'll try Blood Simple when it comes to criterion though because I'm a whore.

Anyway, I still got a few to preorder: Touch of Zen and Carnival of Souls. 

Also will probably get the blu only Zatoichi set when it comes out next sale and sell my current set. I HATE the box its in, it doesn't fit on any shelf and the dual format bullshit was a huge mistake IMO. 

Blood Simple is an excellent first movie IMO, although I haven't seen it in a few years.

Barton Fink is their best as far as I'm concerned. 

5 hours ago, batman said:

Flash sale!!!!

Grabbed Dekalog, Boyhood, Pan's Labyrinth, The New World, The Manchurian Candidate, and Dr. Strangelove. 

Got Pan's Labyrinth.  Wanted a lot more but decided against it.  Plus Barnes & Nobles next 50% off sale is less than a month away, so I figured I'd just grab the other stuff I wanted then.

On 7/5/2016 at 9:44 PM, clerk3745 said:

I was surprised how much I like Inside Llewyn Davis, never been huge on the Cohen brothers but maybe it was the music or Oscar Isaac but I really loved that one.

Digging up an old comment but I felt this so hard on that movie. Never really liked them before or sense but Llewyn Davis is amazing.

39 minutes ago, FiggyPuddling said:

Got Pan's Labyrinth.  Wanted a lot more but decided against it.  Plus Barnes & Nobles next 50% off sale is less than a month away, so I figured I'd just grab the other stuff I wanted then.

I've been going for the flash sales instead of B&N. No tax and finally amassed 500 points for a free $50 gift card. Kinda crazy that I spent $500 since early 2014, but whatevs hahaha.

24 minutes ago, batman said:

I've been going for the flash sales instead of B&N. No tax and finally amassed 500 points for a free $50 gift card. Kinda crazy that I spent $500 since early 2014, but whatevs hahaha.

It honestly feels like Criterion does these flash sales almost as many times as the B&N does their month long sales (which is twice a year I believe).  Unless I don't receive the email every time Criterion does one.  If they do them more often and I was actually aware of them, I'm sure if be buying much more often.

11 minutes ago, FiggyPuddling said:

It honestly feels like Criterion does these flash sales almost as many times as the B&N does their month long sales (which is twice a year I believe).  Unless I don't receive the email every time Criterion does one.  If they do them more often and I was actually aware of them, I'm sure if be buying much more often.

looking at my order history, the flash sales have been in october and late feb/early march every year. have to be sorta quick though if it's a popular new release because stuff does sell out.

1 hour ago, clerk3745 said:

I got Blood Simple (gambling on more Coen brothers), Master of the House, and Cat People. I'll get 3 more next sale and will get the $50 voucher through them. Its just cheaper for me to wait for the B&N sales with a membership.

do you get additional coupons w/ a membership? i did the membership for a year and i felt like i pretty much broke even because i had to pay tax. i did get some good deals on black friday w/ the 50% off sale, but that was about it.

1 hour ago, batman said:

do you get additional coupons w/ a membership? i did the membership for a year and i felt like i pretty much broke even because i had to pay tax. i did get some good deals on black friday w/ the 50% off sale, but that was about it.

Yeah I get 20-30% off coupons pretty regularly, normally at least once a month, even more near the holidays. Criterions you get another 10% after the 50% so most come to $18. Add a coupon to that and you're pretty much stealing any boxset.  I read a lot and my sister is a teacher so we use the coupons a lot too.

9 hours ago, clerk3745 said:

Yeah I get 20-30% off coupons pretty regularly, normally at least once a month, even more near the holidays. Criterions you get another 10% after the 50% so most come to $18. Add a coupon to that and you're pretty much stealing any boxset.  I read a lot and my sister is a teacher so we use the coupons a lot too.

Okay that makes sense. I think my address was messed up or something so I never got coupons. What I was seeing was that without coupons it's only saving around $0.50 per $39.99 title vs. Criterion.com so I was better off banking up the points. I rarely shop B&N otherwise it may be worth looking into. 

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, batman said:

well i fucked up and accidentally bought lone wolf and cub on dvd instead of blu. anyone want this set for $45+shipping? i paid $50 + tax a week ago. opened, but unused. 

That sucks man.  Did you open it before realizing it was the DVD or something?

Anyways, with this sale, I ended up grabbing:

Repo Man

Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down!

Naked Lunch

Cronos

Woman in the Dunes

Punch-Drunk Love

Dekalog

• 3 months later...