MAN ADVICE

I realized that extreme comfort has to become the enemy.  Like good art, beautiful things can be made when you challenge yourself to navigate boundaries, whatever those boundaries may be.

Mundanity has always been my greatest fear.  If I can't travel and continue to learn about the world/whatever with my man, then I'm as good as gone.

Edit: I thought I should clarify that I meant in the relationship.  Not in life. 

Edited by laralaurent

and i think, friends, this is why i have such a hard time finding a relationship.  i've dated more than my fair share of girls in the past year, and none of them give me that holy-shit-i-cannot-wait-to-see-her-again feeling.  i really want every girl to be that girl, but they aren't.  sometimes i think my expectations are too high, then i realize that i'm perfectly fine being alone, and if that's how it ends up, fine.  but i have a lot to contribute to the right relationship.  

When you know. You know.

I hate relationships. But after meeting my wife I couldn't contain myself. I was giddy like a 13 yr old girl at a Bieber concert. I wasn't clingy or annoying. I just waited until we saw each other.

Never felt this way. It's a spark. And I believe you'll all feel it one day.

When you know. You know.

I hate relationships. But after meeting my wife I couldn't contain myself. I was giddy like a 13 yr old girl at a Bieber concert. I wasn't clingy or annoying. I just waited until we saw each other.

Never felt this way. It's a spark. And I believe you'll all feel it one day.

this post made me realize that the like button is gone and now we have up-votes and down-votes.  what the hell.  this board is the most fickle woman...

but, thanks.  i sure hope so.  

I was always scared of that happening too. especially since a lot of my friends had babies pretty young and stopped hanging out with me. I took it as them being occupied with a kid, and they took it as me not wanting to hang out with them and their kid (which was also semi-true).

it's bound to happen. all my friends who now have kids still hang with each other and go to each others kids parties. i dont dare get an invite so i know it's not that they are busy. they just would rather do things with other families. shows how much our friendship meant. 

A kid my brothers age (19) just got married this week....fucking idiot. 

my mom and dad got married when they were 20 and 23...but this was 34 years ago at the end of this month and they went through a slew of near breakups about a decade ago.

what i am trying to say is, except for a slim few, it's a super bad idea to get married that young.

my mom and dad got married when they were 20 and 23...but this was 34 years ago at the end of this month and they went through a slew of near breakups about a decade ago.

what i am trying to say is, except for a slim few, it's a super bad idea to get married that young.

Fuck man. I'm 25, gf is 22, we've been together (officially) nearly four years and I can't see us tying the knot ANYTIME soon. But we are on the same page, especially about not having kids. I can never understand people that rush into things like marriage, and I get infuriated when I think about people that have kids with people they haven't known/been with for a long time.

On the flip side of the coin, my sister is 32, and got divorced from her husband of four years bc she cheated on him. Fast forward to present day: she's remarried and pregnant by some dude who she has known less than a year. Fuck, I just get angry thinking about the bad decisions she's made. I guess they're only bad in my eyes or something. Whatever, it's her life. I'm gonna be an uncle soon, weeird.

I don't really know where I was going with this post. Fuck.

I got married at 18 and have been married for almost 17 years.  I think everyone is different, but your folks definitely set an example.  My parents were married at 17 and have been married for 37 years,

Jumping in here to say that I agree.  My parents got married at 22/24 and it makes me kind of feel like a failure that I'm heading onto 27 having not gotten married yet, lol.

Same principle, just the other side of the coin, I guess.

I've heard that too!  It's also become more common to get married later due to the economy, from what I understand at least.

Aside from the military couples, most of the couples I shoot weddings for are in their mid 30s.  But I still feel awkward when the bridal party ask me if I'm married or if the guy I'm shooting with is my husband, lol.

You are right about military couples marrying early.  That is because the military will not extend any benefits to a couple unless they are legally married.  This leads to some disastrous results as the divorce rate for military couples is much higher than those of civilian couples.  I'm sure marrying early is not the only catalyst for this, being away from home for extended periods of time hurts as well.

Jumping in here to say that I agree.  My parents got married at 22/24 and it makes me kind of feel like a failure that I'm heading onto 27 having not gotten married yet, lol.

Same principle, just the other side of the coin, I guess.

I think it's crazy when people make me feel like that too. My grandma is especially harsh. When I'm single she's wondering when I'm going to find a man and when I'm with someone she says 'Well I hope you finally found the one'. I know it's different for her because she married when she was 19 but grammas gotta slow her roll. Even if I never find 'a one' that should be cool with my entire family.

of course it has to do with me being female also. She’s always been supportive of me going to college and getting a job but never been very interested in it. My older brother never got any talks about settling down. it’s weird. I know our generation is all about female empowerment and being independent but a lot of people are still totally set with traditional gender roles.

of course it has to do with me being female also. She’s always been supportive of me going to college and getting a job but never been very interested in it. My older brother never got any talks about settling down. it’s weird. I know our generation is all about female empowerment and being independent but a lot of people are still totally set with traditional gender roles.

Speaking of traditional gender roles, I told you I don't like mayonnaise on my sandwiches, and for christ's sake run the vacuum occasionally. I'll be out back with a beer in one hand, and my balls in the other.