MAN ADVICE

FWIW, I don't drink and I don't mind going out to bars with friends. I usually refrain from hitting on girls who are drinking though, because of the creepy nature of that. 

Yeah, there are definitely boundaries. Sounds creep-show for sure.

I used to go to drinking parties sober, or just get lit up. ;) For a little while I got used to bringing a bottle of wine and just getting a wee bit loose. Pretty much stopped that completely, nothing goes on these days, but it was decent while it lasted. (I wouldn't consider myself a drinker, this was like once every 3 months or less. These days I might drink once or twice a year, I'll have my favourite wine.) I think depending how you handle social situations it can be totally chill to not be drinking around people who are.

The thing with going to the bar is where I live theres only a few and they are scummy as fuck. Like the druggies I went to high school went there or my piece of shit dad would to get drunk/high. Not about that life. When I go to Manhattan or when I was in Chicago I didnt mind going to the bar at all. Just here that option isnt an option haha

The thing with going to the bar is where I live theres only a few and they are scummy as fuck. Like the druggies I went to high school went there or my piece of shit dad would to get drunk/high. Not about that life. When I go to Manhattan or when I was in Chicago I didnt mind going to the bar at all. Just here that option isnt an option haha

Philadelphia has a lot of nice bars depending on where you go. Tom and I know where the good ones are. They might not be so kind to a guy who likes the Mets and the Cowboys, though.

Yeah, I have no problem being sober around people who are drinking. I just don't like trying to meet women that way, I stick to just being social.

Same here. Identifying as pretty much a non-drinker, that's definitely NOT what I am looking for.

Ahhhhh, haha yeah I see... I can relate, so yeah I wouldn't even bother going to the bar then, either.

Philadelphia has a lot of nice bars depending on where you go. Tom and I know where the good ones are. They might not be so kind to a guy who likes the Mets and the Cowboys, though.

Or the Rangers.....which is a big deal to me. Haha

Regardless I gotta go down there to chill with you two and find me a Temple/Drexel girl with daddy issues/low self esteem for the night

How do I meet new people/make new friends in the suburbs? All my friends are at college and shit so when Im home I literally do fucking nothing and I hate it. Im tired of being bored all the time and alone. Keep in mind I dont drink, so the bar scene is kinda out of the question.

Get a dog?  Mine is always interested in doing shit, seems like he never has any plans.

When I moved to Seattle, I had a real tough time meeting people (which I'm told is fairly normal here and probably most cities).  If I had known about meetup.com at the time, I probably would have tried it.  Since bars aren't much of an option, try coffee shops or places like that.  I don't think it really matters what you do specifically, as long as it's a social environment, you'll eventually meet some people.  I think being proactive will help quite a bit too, you can't really wait for people to come to you.

I met most of the people I know here from working in a bar, but I think any serving type job will have the same effect.  You get to know people, either customers or coworkers.  I'm sure you already have a job, but waiting tables or working in a book or record store a few days a week would put you in contact with a bunch of people.  Chances are that one of them is rad.

Oh I just remembered this... consider going to the bar sober man! Go to the bar/parties sober! It sounds retarded but I'm actually serious, here's why...

This is unverified but I have a buddy who recently went into treatment with a very high profile drug councillor... Dude councils tons of high-profile people up here in Canada (Toronto) Like Politicians, NHL players, etc. That type of thing... so apparently this councillor was telling my buddy that these days women love a guy who stays sober, even at a bar, cause it means you're in control. I mean it's probably not going to get you anywhere with your typical bar-fly, and you prob don't want that anyway, since you don't drink. But there might be some cool people there who take a liking to you. I dunno could be disastrous so take it with a grain of salt, and could be awkward, but if you're confident it'll play right into what I was saying before.

On the other hand this might be the most retarded advice ever since if you don't drink you prob don't wanna be around a bunch of people who are, but I thought it was at least worth mentioning. Prob depends how bored you are, and what else comes up hahahaha.

well that stuff never works for me and i'm usually sober at bars. then again, i'm not attractive and have a slight lisp. Whatchagonnado? (shrugs shoulders)

has anyone actually formed a worthwhile friendship with someone they met at the bar? I know I haven’t. i thnk most people go out to get drunk and have sex with someone. not to make friends.

and i don’t care how unnattractive or awkward anyone thinks they are... all you need is confidence. I think I say that a lot in here so sorry, but really nothing is more attractive than that.

i know it seems like I’m generalizing people who go out. and also I know it’s not easy to just ‘get confidence’ but even if you fake it or something. I don’t know. just try it out :)

i just want everyone in this thread to get laid and/or form a meaningful relationship with someone.

has anyone actually formed a worthwhile friendship with someone they met at the bar? I know I haven’t. i thnk most people go out to get drunk and have sex with someone. not to make friends.

and i don’t care how unnattractive or awkward anyone thinks they are... all you need is confidence. I think I say that a lot in here so sorry, but really nothing is more attractive than that.

I've met some really nice people when I go out. And I'm pretty good friends with a girl I met at a bar. And gay guys, so many. But I guess it's a different scene.

ive never really went to the bars to find ass. i was never really looking for ass, so i guess that makes sense. i never had that feeling that i just had to get laid immediately or else i'd die.

besides, random ass always scared me. im a bit OCD with my genitals being healthy. never was afraid of a potential kid, just didnt want to have to pop warts on my ass the rest of my life.

ive never really went to the bars to find ass. i was never really looking for ass, so i guess that makes sense. i never had that feeling that i just had to get laid immediately or else i'd die.

besides, random ass always scared me. im a bit OCD with my genitals being healthy. never was afraid of a potential kid, just didnt want to have to pop warts on my ass the rest of my life.

same here. my best friends roommate got herpes from a bartender. scared me for a long time.

my wife's a bit younger, and even more so when we met. and her girlfriends had the most crazy ass stories...they (stories) were disgusting..only because for how young they were, how many penis' have either been in their mouth, butt or vagina. how they are on meds for itches, diseases and what not. whenever they come over and hang, i make sure i use clorox on the toilet after they've left.

i once dated a girl, and we waited a bit to do things, who said "when it comes time to put that in my mouth or lady parts, im turning on the lights and inspecting it. I'm seriously going to look it over 5 or six times" she was in med school..i think she even ran labs on me.