Shipping overseas tips

• 9 months later...

Bumping this old thread. I'm about to ship a record to the UK for the first time. Sold through Discogs and it's pretty expensive. Buyer paid for shipping without tracking. Am I protected as the seller at all if something goes wrong? I plan on taking quite a few photos of everything (the record, the mailer, the receipt, etc.), but I'm more worried that if the LP doesn't show up within a couple weeks, the buyer will get anxious and try to file a claim. What's the deal with that? Any advice?

21 minutes ago, TheWindBlower said:

Bumping this old thread. I'm about to ship a record to the UK for the first time. Sold through Discogs and it's pretty expensive. Buyer paid for shipping without tracking. Am I protected as the seller at all if something goes wrong? I plan on taking quite a few photos of everything (the record, the mailer, the receipt, etc.), but I'm more worried that if the LP doesn't show up within a couple weeks, the buyer will get anxious and try to file a claim. What's the deal with that? Any advice?

On this side of the pond the seller is responsible for the item. So if it goes astray/is damaged and isn't insured for the full or correct amount it comes out of the seller's pocket. Something worth noting as it is coming to the UK. 

Hope all goes well!

19 minutes ago, TheWindBlower said:

Whether you are protected depends on the Terms and Conditions you have agreed with the courier you are using (USPS?). Sending the other way across the pond without tracking means that the item is insured up to £20 and the UK postal service state deep on their website how long you have to wait before something is declared missing and you can make a claim for that £20 (with proof of value). This is all stuff that is well worth knowing if you are sending anything of value through the mail, even if it's internal to the US.

It's unusual for something to take more than two weeks to cross the Atlantic but it does happen. I'd find out the stuff in the above paragraph before deciding whether you are risking too much money by sending it without tracking.

4 minutes ago, Sasan said:

I never ship anything anywhere without tracking #! Not to the US, not within Europe and not within Germany...I've been deceived a few times, therefore only registered shipping!

In your case, I'd say either they pay a few bucks extra for registration or cancel the order...my 2 cents

Definitely either go back and let them know it needs to be upgraded to tracked at the very least. Not worth you losing out on it.

4 hours ago, TheWindBlower said:

Paying for tracking will protect you from having a buyer make a claim of non-delivery after the package has been confirmed as delivered.  However, the buyer can still open a claim for a damaged or not-as-described record and you will need to refund the buyer out of your own pocket (minus any built-in insurance that is included with international priority).

Unfortunately, there is no cheap way to ship a record overseas from the US.  Either you or the buyer need to pony up for the cost of registered shipping and insurance.

2 hours ago, GradedOnACurve said:

Each customs form has a tracking number on it and it will track to the UK. Insurance is only provided with registered shipping, which is way more expensive but cheaper than UPS or DHL.

If this is true, then this tracking # can be used for proof of delivery which is what paypal requires for seller protection.

11.3 Eligibility Requirements.

To be eligible for PayPal Seller protection, you must meet all of the basic requirements listed below under (a) Basic Requirements. To be covered for Item Not Received protection, you must meet both the Basic Requirements and the Item Not Received Additional Requirements listed below under (b). To be covered for Unauthorized Transaction protection, you must meet both the Basic Requirements and the Unauthorized Transactions Additional Requirements listed below under (c).

1. Basic Requirements:
    • You must ship the item to the shipping address on the Transaction Details Page.
    • You must respond to PayPal's requests for documentation and other information in a timely manner.
    • The item must be a physical, tangible good that can be shipped.
    • Your primary residence, as listed in your Account, must be in the United States.
  2. Item Not Received Additional Requirements:
    • For Chargebacks, the payment must be marked “eligible” or “partially eligible” for PayPal Seller protection on the Transaction Details Page.
    • You must provide Proof of Delivery as described below in Section 11.4.
    • If the payment is for pre-ordered or made-to-order goods, shipment is required within the timeframe specified in your item listing. Otherwise, it is recommended that you ship all items within 7 Days after receipt of payment.
  3. Unauthorized Transactions Additional Requirements:
    • The payment must be marked “eligible” for PayPal Seller protection on the Transaction Details Page.
    • You must provide Proof of Shipment or Proof of Delivery.

11.4 Proof of Shipment, Proof of Delivery and Signature Confirmation Requirements.
"Proof of Shipment" is online or physical documentation from a shipping company that includes all of the following:

• The date the item is shipped.
  • The recipient’s address matches the shipping address provided on the Transaction Details Page.
  • The recipient’s address, showing at least the city & state, or city & country, or zip/postal code (or international equivalent).

1 hour ago, shenanigans said:

If this is true, then this tracking # can be used for proof of delivery which is what PayPal requires for seller protection.

I mean I've heard of cases of people losing regardless, but the customs form number is trackable. If you buy it from USPS.com as well you save a dollar or two as well. Just plug in the customs number like any tracking number. It'll track to Canada and more notable countries in the UK and EU (France, Germany, Netherlands etc.) as well as Australia and New Zealand. Theres a list on the website.