$150 Audiophile Turntable: This could be interesting

Personally, I'd go for the Technics all day. Those things are built like tanks. The Orbit is made of mostly plastic, and don't even have a cue lever. 

Don't get me wrong, the Orbit is a great Crosley alternative. But once the price gets up to around $400, you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you don't consider the alternatives at that price range.

I've been going back and forth in my head about it and I'm starting to lean towards the Technics, but it will still be at least another week before I can get it, and it may be gone by then. We shall see.

I've been going back and forth in my head about it and I'm starting to lean towards the Technics, but it will still be at least another week before I can get it, and it may be gone by then. We shall see.

Yeah definitely. If youre going to spend 400 on a u-turn, you should definitely shop around other tables in the price range. Technics are ALWAYS available. Not sure where youre located but check craigslist. There are always people who thought they were going to be the next dj premier or shadow selling their technics off in mint condition.

Just poking my head in this thread to give U-Turn an a plus on the customer service front.

I emailed them because I was getting some warbly pitches when playing and it was most noticeable in sustained piano sections/notes.

They sent me an email back within 30 minutes and asked me about three questions:

Where is the table? in sunlight, near heat/on top of other components? - no

What's the serial number?

If you take off the platter and spin the spindle, does it spin freely? - The spindle wasn't spinning freely.

That pretty much diagnosed the problem.

They emailed me back the next day after I got back to them with the feedback to their questions and let me know that they're sending me a replacement spindle for free and also a new belt because they felt that they'd improved the belt design since I'd received mine.

I can't recommend them enough!

Plus, prior to this issue last week I've had zero problems with the table and had been completely satisfied.

Yeah definitely. If youre going to spend 400 on a u-turn, you should definitely shop around other tables in the price range. Technics are ALWAYS available. Not sure where youre located but check craigslist. There are always people who thought they were going to be the next dj premier or shadow selling their technics off in mint condition.

I live near Charlotte, NC, and I check Craigslist at least once a day, and haven't seen any single 1200s available, usually it's people trying to sell two as a set with a mixer, which I have absolutely 0 interest in, honestly. I'm gonna see if I can gather around the extra $200 before my U Turn ships, and if so, I'll probably be grabbing that 1200.

Trying to figure out the best route as far as setup goes too, with the U Turn I was planning to go with the ART DJ Pre II plus Audioengine A2s as that's what the guys at U Turn suggested, but I've seen a couple vintage receivers on sale on Craigslist that are mighty tempting. There's a Marantz 2238 that's listed at $225 only issue being some static in the volume control, and there's also a Pioneer SX-950 which is much more costly at $475, but has been professionally serviced. I was also looking into the PM-6004. 

Any suggestions?

That's a bit pricey on the 2238 especially one that has issues, but then again vintage receivers aren't the bargains they used to be. The SX-950 is a great receiver, and I actually prefer them to Marantz's in general. 

If you got a vintage receiver, what speakers are you looking into? For a really decent set, you should see if Dennis Murphy has anymore of his Affordable Accuracy Speaker in stock. I think they're 150/pair at philharmonicaudio.com

Personally, for a nice budget system that's based around an active speaker, I'd probably go turntable --> Schiit Mani --> (Schiit SYS preamp if you want that function) --> Emotiva Airmotiv 4s/5s/6s (depending on budget). 

My budget is more a time constraint than a monetary one, but $400 is kinda pushing it for the setup in all honesty, though I can stretch it if i gotta. My goal is to get my setup finalized by early August because I have a relative (and fellow vinyl enthusiast) visiting for a week or so then. I know that budget isn't gonna land me anything great, but I'm just looking for a decent start for now. Couple years down the line I'll probably upgrade and go crazy.

MKA, I live about an hour north (Winston Salem) of  you and can keep an eye on locally if you like. I have seen a few Technics around here for less than 400 from time to time. 

This is not to deter you from the UTurn. I like that TT and recommend it highly. The detractors are probably mad they paid 500 for a similar model and now there is one for 150. 

So my turntable is out of direct sunlight but it gets pretty hot out in CA and on days when its hot the belt seems to stretch and cause major speed issues. Is there a way to shrink the belt so it fits tighter on the table? I read that boiling might work but I thought it would stretch because of the heat.

Should I bother them to see if I could get a replacement belt then?

My last post

"So my turntable is out of direct sunlight but it gets pretty hot out in CA and on days when its hot the belt seems to stretch and cause major speed issues. Is there a way to shrink the belt so it fits tighter on the table? I read that boiling might work but I thought it would stretch because of the heat."

I ordered on April 7th and it arrived here on July 3rd...12 weeks, but WELL worth the wait...very smooth and natural sounding with very light mods on the TT (upgraded AT cart with custom cork mat and some isonodes beneath each footing.)Highly Recommended!!

I've spun reissues of The Smashing Pumpkins' 'Gish' and the 20th Anniv pressing of 'Illmatic' by Nas -- both sound very lively and separated without being too bottom heavy...

Just poking my head in this thread to give U-Turn an a plus on the customer service front.

I emailed them because I was getting some warbly pitches when playing and it was most noticeable in sustained piano sections/notes.

They sent me an email back within 30 minutes and asked me about three questions:

If you take off the platter and spin the spindle, does it spin freely? - The spindle wasn't spinning freely.

They emailed me back the next day after I got back to them with the feedback to their questions and let me know that they're sending me a replacement spindle for free and also a new belt because they felt that they'd improved the belt design since I'd received mine.

Plus, prior to this issue last week I've had zero problems with the table and had been completely satisfied.

Had this identical issue and it took three weeks for me to get it. I finally got fed up, cleaned out the inside of the spindle and it worked great after that.

So I had the same problem with the warping and the platter not spinning sometimes on the 33 setting and they are doing the exact same thing. They are sending me a new spindle and belt. I thought it was the belt that was stretching because of heat but they said it was the spindle. 

• 2 weeks later...

How's it been treating you?

So I got mine during the week I was moving so I only got to listen to one or two records on it before I had a one week trip. While I was in Orlando I scored a copy of Saves the Day's Under the Boards on green for $15 and am listening to it now. I'm no audiophile or stereo guru, but it sounds fucking phenomenal. Leaps and bounds ahead of what I had. I'm gonna spin a couple more albums tonight and see how it goes!

So I got mine during the week I was moving so I only got to listen to one or two records on it before I had a one week trip. While I was in Orlando I scored a copy of Saves the Day's Under the Boards on green for $15 and am listening to it now. I'm no audiophile or stereo guru, but it sounds fucking phenomenal. Leaps and bounds ahead of what I had. I'm gonna spin a couple more albums tonight and see how it goes!

Good to hear! I ended up canceling my order in favor of the Technics, however I still may get a basic down the line. I'd like to be able to have a backup turntable.