$150 Audiophile Turntable: This could be interesting

Can't say I've had that issue. Which cartridge do you have? I would email their customer service. They are super helpful.

I have the Grado Black. I have heard great things about their customer service but I wanted to try and see if I could find a remedy first.

I have e-mailed them now so hopefully they can help me resolve this issue.

• 3 weeks later...

What are peoples opinions? Have they lived up to the hype? How is customer service, if it's been needed? Has anyone actually compared side by side to the rega rp1 or the project debut carbon?

I really like mine.  Customer Service has been excellent.  I contacted them to add some upgrades to what I had already on order.  They were very quick to reply.  Also, when i got mine the RCA Cable was bad and only playing out of the right channel.  They had a new one out in the mail to me the next day.  

not to sound like a lazy person, but is anything automatic on this?  sorry if this has been addressed already. i didn't want to look through 60 pages...

Nothing is automatic.  Fully manual.  

What are peoples opinions? Have they lived up to the hype? How is customer service, if it's been needed? Has anyone actually compared side by side to the rega rp1 or the project debut carbon?

Customer service has always been great. I bought one almost right after the kickstarter ended and had a problem with the spindle sticking after a few months. They had a new spindle and belt (in case that was the problem) in the mail within a few days. Besides that issue, which was due to hot weather, I've never had any other issue with it and I've had it for almost a year now.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm thinking of getting one of these to upgrade from my AT-LP120. If I do, I think I'd go with the best cart. but not the acrylic platter. Think this will be an upgrade over the AT, or just a waste of money? I'll also be grabbing a Schiit Mani pre-amp.

I'm thinking of getting one of these to upgrade from my AT-LP120. If I do, I think I'd go with the best cart. but not the acrylic platter. Think this will be an upgrade over the AT, or just a waste of money? I'll also be grabbing a Schiit Mani pre-amp.

Not going to lie, that doesn't sound like an upgrade worth the price unless you have a buyer lined up for the LP120 at a decent number. I'm sure the U-Turn with an acryllic platter will sound better than your LP120, but not $300+ better. You'd be better off to keep saving and buy something higher up the upgrade ladder, especially if you're willing to go the used route.

Consider something like these (and I'm not being partial to any brand, just grabbing some of the "major" ones in a decent price tier):

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649197591-music-hall-mmf5-with-goldring-1012gx-cartridge/

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649178577-mmf-51-se/

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649197560-project-xpression-iii-with-dynavector-10x5-cart-pro-mounted/

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649197474-turntable-rega-planar-3-with-mayware-tonearm/

I having been reading up on both, and I think I might just mod the LP120 (remove the pre-amp) and get a new cartridge. I'm currently running a Shure M97XE, but am thinking of getting a Nagaoka MP-110.

I having been reading up on both, and I think I might just mod the LP120 (remove the pre-amp) and get a new cartridge. I'm currently running a Shure M97XE, but am thinking of getting a Nagaoka MP-110.

If you have the skills when you are removing the phono stage replace the tonearm wire with Cardas cable including the leads in the headshell, it will make a big difference and then you can get the benefit out of one of the cheaper high output MC's.

And much as I like Nagaoka carts I think they are now very overpriced and I don't think you will get a huge gain over the Shure with the MP110. The MP110 is an MP11 in a different colour and if you look at the prices against the competition for the MP11 when it was current and the MP110 now there is quite an unexplainable difference for no gain.

Has anyone tried any other Audio Technica carts on their Orbit? I've had mine for almost a year, but have been looking at the AT440MLA for a bit. I bought mine originally with an AT95E which has been great so far. It tracks really well and plays the occasional warped/bowled records suprisingly well. Just wondering if I should stay with AT or move on to something else when the time comes.

Has anyone tried any other Audio Technica carts on their Orbit? I've had mine for almost a year, but have been looking at the AT440MLA for a bit. I bought mine originally with an AT95E which has been great so far. It tracks really well and plays the occasional warped/bowled records suprisingly well. Just wondering if I should stay with AT or move on to something else when the time comes.

I got mine with the Grado Black1.  I really like it.  You might want to just shoot their customer service an email.  They seem to be on top of what carts work well.  I think some carts require some extra weight got be added to the back of the arm.  

As far as sub-$200 record players go, is this still the cream of the crop? I've been listening to my collection on an AT-LP60 and am looking to upgrade but also don't have a whole bunch of money laying around. 

Yes.  My TT before mine was the LP60 and it sounds so much better.  Well worth the upgrade.  Just make sure you have a pre-amp or a receiver with a pre-amp because the Orbit doesn't have one built in like the LP60.

I did the Orbit build and got it quickly and really love it but it does have this faint, rhythmic chirping sound that I start focusing on after awhile of it spinning. It's obviously more noticeable when my speakers aren't on and the platter is just spinning. But the sound is coming from the pulley and I put my finger against it very slightly while it's spinning and the sound stops. I emailed U-Turn and they said it may go away after the table "breaks in" but that without hearing it directly they couldn't really diagnose it. I tried to pick it up on video but it didn't work.

Anyone else have this issue or know what the deal might be? I just want to make sure it isn't a sign of a bigger problem to come.

I did the Orbit build and got it quickly and really love it but it does have this faint, rhythmic chirping sound that I start focusing on after awhile of it spinning. It's obviously more noticeable when my speakers aren't on and the platter is just spinning. But the sound is coming from the pulley and I put my finger against it very slightly while it's spinning and the sound stops. I emailed U-Turn and they said it may go away after the table "breaks in" but that without hearing it directly they couldn't really diagnose it. I tried to pick it up on video but it didn't work.

Anyone else have this issue or know what the deal might be? I just want to make sure it isn't a sign of a bigger problem to come.

I'm not sure if this is what you're experiencing but when I first got mine the pulley would make a squeaking sound as it was starting up but it would go away pretty quickly and doesn't do it at all now.