Thrice - TAITA & Vheissu getting another repress

He pressed up a random color and would flip all the copies on ebay.

he also did this with beggars(purp) and a alk3 releases i believe

Interesting

Edit: I know of one guy who owns a local record shop. This year was my first RSD, so when we went to his shop, my friend and I noticed he didn't have any of the rare+popular RSD '12 releases. We figured he took them for himself to flip on eBay by the looks of him+his shop.

Interesting

Edit: I know of one guy who owns a local record shop. This year was my first RSD, so when we went to his shop, my friend and I noticed he didn't have any of the rare+popular RSD '12 releases. We figured he took them for himself to flip on eBay by the looks of him+his shop.

What store?

forgot how many people werent around when Cobraside was pulling their shenanigans. it caused a huge uproar here and their exploits were well documented here. this will get a bit lenghty, but for those who want to know in more detail what Cobraside did here goes. they did a bunch of Vagrant releases mentioned above, Saves The Day - Under The Boards & Sound The Alarm, Alkaline Trio - Good Mourning double LP and the second pressing of Remains, and Thrice - Beggars.

what they did started with the STD records. while there was i guess you could call it the normal pressing that was officially announced and sold legitimately through distros or in stores, with place A getting an exclusive color and place B getting an exclusive color and so on. at some point Cobraside started selling /35 variants on ebay under the name dubmaverick (which should ring a bell for some people as well) that were literally a mix of the announced colors. they were red &white striped and blue & white striped. these colors were being sold for like a $30 BIN i think, but it was definitely more than the $12 or $13 the record sold for in legit distros and stores.

at some point someone realized by looking at their ebay history about 80 copies of each of those colors were sold, obviously far more than /35 that they were advertised to be. some people decided to call Cobraside on it, and sent them emails and messages through ebay. those people had their ebay purchases cancelled and refunded for questioning them. even though the proof was laid out in front of them, Cobraside refused to give factual answers and lied about everything, saying things like even though ebay shows we've sold more than 35 copies it doesnt mean everyone paid (despite the fact that it was a BIN requiring immediate payment). eventually enough people called Cobraside on it and they amended the pressing info to say /70.

they also made one off colors or colors extremely limited, some limited to 5 copies. all of which they only sold on ebay for ridiculous BINs or through auctions with a insane starting bid. you can check deadformat for the pressing info on Under The Boards to see what happened. Cobraside slowly sold them on ebay, they let it drag on for months as they would sell 1 copy and then wait 1 or 2 months before selling another. they did the same nonsense with their Alkaline Trio pressings, but took things further with the random, extremely limited colorways. they literally mixed and matched colors from the legit pressing. for example say it was blue /300 and red /300, they would make a set with 1 blue LP and 1 red LP, with only like 25 copies of that particular color set and the throw it on ebay for $70. deadformat doesnt have the full pressing info for Good Mourning, i guess someone can dig up the thread that was made about it here that was started in like 2008 or so. it got to the point where Vagrant was told about what Cobraside was doing, Vagrant said they were pissed and they would stop using Cobraside but here we are and Vagrant still uses them to this day.

forgot how many people werent around when Cobraside was pulling their shenanigans. it caused a huge uproar here and their exploits were well documented here. this will get a bit lenghty, but for those who want to know in more detail what Cobraside did here goes. they did a bunch of Vagrant releases mentioned above, Saves The Day - Under The Boards & Sound The Alarm, Alkaline Trio - Good Mourning double LP and the second pressing of Remains, and Thrice - Beggars.

what they did started with the STD records. while there was i guess you could call it the normal pressing that was officially announced and sold legitimately through distros or in stores, with place A getting an exclusive color and place B getting an exclusive color and so on. at some point Cobraside started selling /35 variants on ebay under the name dubmaverick (which should ring a bell for some people as well) that were literally a mix of the announced colors. they were red &white striped and blue & white striped. these colors were being sold for like a $30 BIN i think, but it was definitely more than the $12 or $13 the record sold for in legit distros and stores.

at some point someone realized by looking at their ebay history about 80 copies of each of those colors were sold, obviously far more than /35 that they were advertised to be. some people decided to call Cobraside on it, and sent them emails and messages through ebay. those people had their ebay purchases cancelled and refunded for questioning them. even though the proof was laid out in front of them, Cobraside refused to give factual answers and lied about everything, saying things like even though ebay shows we've sold more than 35 copies it doesnt mean everyone paid (despite the fact that it was a BIN requiring immediate payment). eventually enough people called Cobraside on it and they amended the pressing info to say /70.

they also made one off colors or colors extremely limited, some limited to 5 copies. all of which they only sold on ebay for ridiculous BINs or through auctions with a insane starting bid. you can check deadformat for the pressing info on Under The Boards to see what happened. Cobraside slowly sold them on ebay, they let it drag on for months as they would sell 1 copy and then wait 1 or 2 months before selling another. they did the same nonsense with their Alkaline Trio pressings, but took things further with the random, extremely limited colorways. they literally mixed and matched colors from the legit pressing. for example say it was blue /300 and red /300, they would make a set with 1 blue LP and 1 red LP, with only like 25 copies of that particular color set and the throw it on ebay for $70. deadformat doesnt have the full pressing info for Good Mourning, i guess someone can dig up the thread that was made about it here that was started in like 2008 or so. it got to the point where Vagrant was told about what Cobraside was doing, Vagrant said they were pissed and they would stop using Cobraside but here we are and Vagrant still uses them to this day.

What assholes. :/

that would be pretty sad if it were vinyl solution. that's my neighborhood store as I live about a mile and a half from there. I bought the sensefield and into another rev rsd releases there for a decent price but maybe because they weren't in as much demand. I was also hoping to find the ignite release but it wasn't there. it wouldn't surprise me entirely since I, unwittingly and without giving it enough thought, bought radiohead's in rainbows there for $30 about 4 years ago.

that would be pretty sad if it were vinyl solution. that's my neighborhood store as I live about a mile and a half from there. I bought the sensefield and into another rev rsd releases there for a decent price but maybe because they weren't in as much demand. I was also hoping to find the ignite release but it wasn't there. it wouldn't surprise me entirely since I, unwittingly and without giving it enough thought, bought radiohead's in rainbows there for $30 about 4 years ago.

Vinyl Solution is extremely overpriced on a lot of things. The only main reason I go in there is when I'm at my friend's house who lives in Fountain Valley and I need some plastic sleeves or want to browse the dollar racks.

• 1 month later...

Interesting

Late reply to this but my town has a local record store that has been unable to get any of the rare/popular RSD releases for the past several years due to having to pay a significant "fee", if that's the right word, to have access to those particular releases. In other words, the big labels are apparently charging record stores to carry the big RSD releases and in my town's store, they simply couldn't afford the upfront cost to stock them. Maybe that's what happened at your store.

Late reply to this but my town has a local record store that has been unable to get any of the rare/popular RSD releases for the past several years due to having to pay a significant "fee", if that's the right word, to have access to those particular releases. In other words, the big labels are apparently charging record stores to carry the big RSD releases and in my town's store, they simply couldn't afford the upfront cost to stock them. Maybe that's what happened at your store.

I mean I kinda understand why labels do that but that sorta defeats the purpose imo. Celebrate independent records stores by charging them out the ass in hopes they can sell you exclusives.

Id much rather see a repress of alchemy and beggars. Hope this happens one day.

Alchemy RP? In your dreams..... Realistically speaking, Beggars would get a RP, but it doesn't seem like it would cover most of Thrice's audience like TAITA, TIOS, and Vheissu. Vheissu was the bridge between TAITA and Alchemy. After Alchemy came out, all the Scumbag-Steve-Yelling-Deadbolt-"Fans" left the Thrice Cab for Cutie.

Yeah I didn't drop by Cobraside for my monthly visit this month, so I don't know any other details than their Thrice Reissues being delayed.

I mean I kinda understand why labels do that but that sorta defeats the purpose imo. Celebrate independent records stores by charging them out the ass in hopes they can sell you exclusives.

It totally defeats the purpose. That's why I couldn't believe it when I heard the reason why my shop wasn't able to get anything big. Really disappointing finding out that's how it works.

Alchemy RP? In your dreams..... Realistically speaking, Beggars would get a RP, but it doesn't seem like it would cover most of Thrice's audience like TAITA, TIOS, and Vheissu. Vheissu was the bridge between TAITA and Alchemy. After Alchemy came out, all the Scumbag-Steve-Yelling-Deadbolt-"Fans" left the Thrice Cab for Cutie.

Yeah I didn't drop by Cobraside for my monthly visit this month, so I don't know any other details than their Thrice Reissues being delayed.

I don't think an Alchemy Index repress would be too hard to imagine. They've repressed TAITA, TIOS and Vheissu. It would only make sense to repress what hasn't already been done.