Frankenstorm™

My job is in Zone A as well. My office is probably fucked. Also I can't reach my sister who is on Staten Island (where flooding is WORSE than Manhattan btw) and people are stranded on rooftops and water came into houses real quick. She is not in a flood zone but the amount of downed trees in the area coupled with a large old tree next to her house is making me real worried. I really hope she turned her phone on vibrate and fell asleep.

Survived. Got to see some cool stuff, help a couple people as well. Friends, the utility companies were so overwhelmed they started leaving live wires down starting at 9pm. Then we started barricading wires. Then we ran out of barricades.

My point, it's still dangerous out there. Be safe, be smart.

The flooding here in NYC is unreal. Some of my friends on Staten Island are underwater (some were in Zone A.) The storm surge was way worse than anyone thought. Im very lucky that I have power and no flooding. Scenes from Jersey look awful as well.

I dont understand how the surge was worse than anyone thought. They have been talking about this for a week and saying it is the worst storm they have ever seen hit this area. Civilians just downplayed it thinking it was nothing when all the authorities kept saying how bad it will be. I hope that everyone here was safe and is ok and the damage done was minimal. The pictures and videos I have seen is just awe inspiring.

To be fair, after years of the media "crying wolf" in terms of Storm severity, I'm not surprised people's expectations were dulled.

I'm more in-land, and we were told to brace for all types of shenanigans, most of which I brushed off as fear-mongering. Thus far, I've been proven right, that said, it could have gone very differently and I'd be in the same place as those on the east-coast.

Point is, I wouldn't be so quick to point the finger at the citizens. The media is just as guilty.

Hopefully those affected here are doing okay!

I dont understand how the surge was worse than anyone thought. They have been talking about this for a week and saying it is the worst storm they have ever seen hit this area. Civilians just downplayed it thinking it was nothing when all the authorities kept saying how bad it will be. I hope that everyone here was safe and is ok and the damage done was minimal. The pictures and videos I have seen is just awe inspiring.

Several officials locally said it was worse than they had planned for. Also people near flood zones didnt take it as serious as they should have and chose not to evacuate. Lets just say that wasnt a good move. The weather forecasters were unfortunately spot on after years of disaster predictions that never came to fruition