successfully fixed a warped record.

I have two copies of "the rooms too cold" one I use as a collectors item and the other is to spin. I pulled it out today and realized it was warped pretty bad. so for the first time i did the two glass plates and oven method....it worked wonderfully. does anyone else have experience with this?

Maybe you could explain your entire process to help others?

ok, here we go...

what youll need : two glass slabs 12inx12in (you can by them pre cut at home depot or any place like it) and a heavy book roughly the same size. oh yea, and an oven.

preheat your oven to the lowest setting. 150-200 should do the trick

place one of the slabs on your kitchen counter with the record on top. take the second and place it over the record, make sure the slabs are lined up perfectly. place glass and record on the top rack of the oven and let sit for about 5-7 minutes MAX. the whole time the oven can be open, just to keep a close eye on the process.

after time is up use oven mitts and put the glass/record back on the counter and place the heavy book on top. Leave everything where it is until the glass is cool to the touch.

i had to repeat this process twice. and it fixed everything.

Can't say I really remember. It was warped on the outer edge, the inside played fine. So only the first few tracks were effected. It is a BLUE copy. I just remember the warp being so high that it jumped the tonearm and nearly ruined a brand new Denon DL103R cartridge. Not taking the chance I'll do harm to my RP3. So gunshy after that incident, I slipped it in a sleeve and since it has just sat on a shelf collecting dust. Bummer. :(

Perfect tips, thanks all for this. The other thing that's worked for me on a reasonably bad warp was resting the record in a really hot, shallow, bath and then taking it out and applying the weight\pressure once the vinyl is heated\pliable. Seems less "wooah" than putting in an oven :) Never had any issues myself with the labels (coming off, getting soggy etc) if that's a concern.