The Hobbit

Do any of the main LOTR characters get mentioned in the Hobbit outside the obvious ones? Obvious ones would be Bilbo, Gollum, Elrond off hand.

If not, I wonder if they make something up at the end with Legolas, Gimli, Aragorn, and such.

movie starts off with frodo and bilbo together, also, the old elf dude and babe are in the movie, other than that I dont recall anyone else from LOTR

Galadriel, Frodo and Saruman appear. Radagast the Brown from the LOTR books makes an appearance. I am going to see it in 2D in a few hours. I think I will like it more than 3D. Everything looked fake.

I believe Gimli and Legolas are going to make cameos.

I thought it was excellent.  The only complaint I had is that my eyes had a little trouble focusing on the 3d, which has never happened to me with a 3d movie before.  Maybe I was sitting too close, but reading some of these other comments, I'm begining to think that it was the way the movie was shot.

I thought it was excellent.  The only complaint I had is that my eyes had a little trouble focusing on the 3d, which has never happened to me with a 3d movie before.  Maybe I was sitting too close, but reading some of these other comments, I'm begining to think that it was the way the movie was shot.

that definitely happened to me too.  I thought it was my contact lenses, or the 3d glasses or something, but looks like maybe it was the movie

I didn't like the 3d, and I also dozed off a bit, but I was tired. 

I loved it, in general.  My only complaint at first was that it seemed so "fantasy" whereas the LOTR trilogy seemed so real, but I realize it was intentional.  Since the Hobbit is a recollection, everything is supposed to be more fantasy like. 

I also watched the trilogy sunday, extended, so I'm all middle earth stoked.

• 2 weeks later...

The LOTR movies are classics and I hoped that The Hobbit would be the same. Maybe I just expected too much, but I went in purposely not knowing anything about the movie, though I did read the book back in the 4th grade, and couldn't believe Peter Jackson directed it.

Why do so many directors these days feel the need to go beyond overboard with action? It's like everyone is trying to make a Michael Bey movie with no storyline and harrowing scene after harrowing scene. Just kinda gets numbing and stale really fast. I would recommend not seeing this in 3-D. I wasn't sitting that close and it was still too much in 3-D. Funny that the story, as it was presented in the movie, was one dimensional.

The studios push for a lot of action to appeal to the lowest common denominator. It sucks. I would rather watch people with swords and stuff fight than watch car explosions and half-naked women molesting cars though.

I agree that 3D is bad. Makes everything look like a cheap cardboard cutout. All of this 3D tomfoolery is getting old.

I've now seen it in 24fps 3D and 48fps 3D. 48fps was really hard to get used to and made it feel quite cheap and corny. I still loved it but my main problem is the switch to using so much CGI for shit they didn't use it with during LOTR. I'll probably see it a third time, whatever.

I saw it in 48fps and really enjoyed it.  As a film kid I was really skeptical (and I hate 3D), but I wanted to see it that way cause I figured he had shot it like that for a reason.  It did take some getting used to, and I'm not sure it really added or detracted anything from a 24fps version.  It did help the 3D look a lot less choppy, especially in some of the faster shots and action scenes.  The CGI was my biggest problem with the 48fps version because a lot of the time it looked extremely fake.  Even small things like fires in a fireplace just looked obnoxiously cheesy (and thats probably the only way I would've found out it wasn't actually a real fire).  I really can't see 48fps becoming the new standard in the next 10-20 years, but if the technology picks up and the effects get better, it might be what saves the 3D trend from dying.

I saw it in 48fps and really enjoyed it.  As a film kid I was really skeptical (and I hate 3D), but I wanted to see it that way cause I figured he had shot it like that for a reason.  It did take some getting used to, and I'm not sure it really added or detracted anything from a 24fps version.  It did help the 3D look a lot less choppy, especially in some of the faster shots and action scenes.  The CGI was my biggest problem with the 48fps version because a lot of the time it looked extremely fake.  Even small things like fires in a fireplace just looked obnoxiously cheesy (and thats probably the only way I would've found out it wasn't actually a real fire).  I really can't see 48fps becoming the new standard in the next 10-20 years, but if the technology picks up and the effects get better, it might be what saves the 3D trend from dying.

That's the biggest gripe I've heard about the 48fps, and The Hobbit in general, that it looks cartoony compared to the LOTR movies where they used a lot of makeup and props instead of CGI

I agree about the CGI looking fake. One thing that bothered me about the film was the lighting. I feel like the lighting was too bright and wasn't very realistic, especially in scenes where a light source (or sources) was/were in frame. To my understanding the lighting was done that way to counteract certain effects of both HFR (48fps) and 3d, as 3d films tend to look dim. I didn't like it very much though. Overall i wasn't bothered by the faster framerate, but didn't love it. It helped a lot in the panoramic landscape shots though, those were beautiful. I greatly anticipate seeing more films at 48fps.

I (finally) saw this in 48fps 3D, and I thought it looked really good.  minor things like flames and that brown wizard's robe when he was in CGI looked cheesy/fake, but important things like people and landscapes looked pretty incredible.  I'm curious to see if some of those effects will improve next time around